• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Where is a good place to start with GA

43 posts in this topic

I have good knowledge in Silver Age Marvel (DC not so much), and was wondering what a good starting point is for GA stuff. You do not have to stick to superhero. So what are basically good GA starter books that will not break the bank, for the inexperienced.

Edited by drotto

I have good knowledge in Silver Age Marvel (DC not so much), and was wondering what a good starting point is for GA stuff. You do not have to stick to superhero. So what are basically good GA starter books that will not break the bank, for the inexperienced.

.... grab nice VG+ copies..... they're solid, durable, and still have good eye appeal. The actual books or titles would be hard to suggest without knowing more about what you like now. One place to start would be the acquisition of the two volume set of Gerber PhotoJournals....... but one warning, some books with ridiculously cool covers have very mediocre content. If you're just looking for slabs, then that isn't much of an issue..... but if you're a reader, then take note. GOD BLESS...

-jmbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

EC published some well written and drawn stories that for the most part won't break the bank. The downside is that they were reprinted so often that they don't in my opinion have any investment upside. There are a couple of notable exceptions (e.g. CSS 22).

I'm also a fan of GGA from Fiction House (e.g. Planet Comics and Jumbo) for the broad availability and affordability.

One last thought... check out this artist named LB Cole!!

Have fun...

Edited by piper

I have found the pursuit of Simon and Kirby Boy Commandos to be lots of fun and at least as affordable as good SA Marvels.

...I had thought about that too.....great minds......

....another clarifier needed is what is the threshold of the OP in regards to "breaking the bank" ? GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

All Star Comics ain't too shabby or steep....... WF, Young Allies, the last 10 Marvel Mysteries, Planet :cloud9:, Black Terror (especially the Robinson/Meskin issues), Strange Adventures, Torchy, South Seas, so many...... just stay away from Atlas.... not enough to go around. GOD BLESS....

I think I would lean towards the old Sci Fi and Horror stufff. When I think of old GA stuff other than early superhero, I think EC, but I know there is tons more out there. In general, I think I am looking for great art more than great stories.

I think I would lean towards the old Sci Fi and Horror stufff. When I think of old GA stuff other than early superhero, I think EC, but I know there is tons more out there. In general, I think I am looking for great art more than great stories.

:gossip: Strange Adventures #4.................GOD BLESS...

If the art is more important you may want to pick an artist and go from there. Schomburg, Crandall, Fine, Eisner. The nice thing about picking an artist is there should be a range of comics that fit what you can spend. E.g. Schomburg you could buy Timely's when you are feeling flush, Nedors when times are tighter, or even Alley Oop or Real Life Comics when you are feeling particularly strapped. I'd second Jimjum's suggestion to start with the Gerber guides and see what appeals to you.

Yup, the photojournals, that's how I realized I loved Schomburg Covers.

I find it really fun to look at what books came out each month by using "Mike's amazing comics" newstand website sorted by for sale date of publication

This must have been one of the best months as a kid going to newstands:

August 1939

http://www.dcindexes.com/features/newsstand.php?type=calendar&month=8&year=1939&publisher=all&sort=date&checklist=null

Some of the most undervalued GA comics are from Quality Comics Group (Plastic Man, Police, Blackhawk, Military & Modern, Doll-Man, Crack, Smash, Spirit, etc.). Lots of great art and most won't break the bank (esp. in low/mid-grade). Unless you're seeking specific types of GA comics or characters, this might be a good place to test the waters, so to speak. My 2c

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quality_Comics

You might as well start with Action Comics 1 and work your way up. There are tremendous amounts of GA in print as Masterworks and Archives, sample a few volumes and see if DC or Timely appeal to you. If not the pickings are thinner for other companies but they're still out there. ALL the Harvey horror titles were recently reprinted in trade paperbacks, for instance.

Dig around at any decent sized show and you'll find buckets of good GA work available in reprint,

I'd start there before you sink any major money into the actual comics, the storytelling is MUCH different from the material you grew up with. For some folks it's an acquired taste.

1. Spend some time with a reputable GA dealer and other GA collectors

2. Take a look through the photojournal

3. Read the history of comics by Steranko

4. Decide what's important to you: i.e. Key books, cool covers, completionist, specific artist, good stories or ect...

5. Have fun

When it comes to old Sci-Fi there's EC, Planet Comics and then everything else... and I'll tell you the "everything else" does not come to market much (as one of those collectors).

The good thing about Horror (and PCH, Pre-Code Horror) in general is that there is lots to collect out there, so that's a good thing for getting into that area of the hobby.

(see how I directed him away from my interests? heh heh heh... )

I concur with the others, getting copies of the Gerber GA books will give you tons of entertainment and education and be great source material going forward.

and yes there is good bit of reprint material out there so you can enjoy consuming those stories as well as collecting the originals!

When it comes to old Sci-Fi there's EC, Planet Comics and then everything else... and I'll tell you the "everything else" does not come to market much (as one of those collectors).

The good thing about Horror (and PCH, Pre-Code Horror) in general is that there is lots to collect out there, so that's a good thing for getting into that area of the hobby.

(see how I directed him away from my interests? heh heh heh... )

I concur with the others, getting copies of the Gerber GA books will give you tons of entertainment and education and be great source material going forward.

and yes there is good bit of reprint material out there so you can enjoy consuming those stories as well as collecting the originals!

Yeah, yeah, stay away from my wheelhouse. :P No, I do see plenty of EC stuff I like, I know it has been reprinted often, but it still has the neat factor to it. I know it may be "overdone" but I see a few Tales from the Crypt cover that are just great.

Funny, people don't recommend Tales too terrible to tell any more from New England Comics. Is that not a thing anymore?

Tales To Terrible To Tell (Select Horror Comics at bottom left)

You can find complete sets for cheap as well. Not only does it reprint sample stories (though in B&W) but it contains a rundown of each of the Horror publisher so it's a good & cheap entry point into GA Horror.

Also, the Mike Benton books are good surveys that will let you in the door, assess where your interest here and will keep you from floundering (sp?) at the start.

http://www.amazon.com/Horror-Comics-Illustrated-History-Taylor/dp/0878337342

It's part of a series. These would be good to ILL from your local library.

Here's the Sci-Fi volume - http://www.amazon.com/Science-Fiction-Comics-Illustrated-History/dp/087833789X/ref=pd_sim_14_1?ie=UTF8&dpID=51HQq2f5WsL&dpSrc=sims&preST=_AC_UL160_SR118%2C160_&refRID=0H7XE787MMXB2MN0HGR5

If you want to check out Horror easily and become familiar with the various artists, check out these anthologies:

Four Color Fear

The Horror! The Horror!

and most things from the Craig Yoe archive - http://yoebooks.com/comic_books.php

Of course, you can sample many books at the Digital Comics Museum as well once you've read the survey and want to sample more art from the various artists.