• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Had to return a Silver Surfer #1 due to a Shalla makeover

23 posts in this topic

Pretty bummed... I just received the Silver Surfer #1 that I bought for my son for Christmas, and opened it up to find that someone gave Shalla-Bal a makeover with hot pink lipstick, nail polish, and blush (in marker). There's basically only one panel that they missed (though I would have been upset with any markings at all). I'm returning the book, and unfortunately a better (more $$$) copy isn't in the cards. Hopefully the seller doesn't give me any grief.

The seller is probably honest, but just in case -- here's the eBay link (I had paid $150 because the seller marked it way down on sale -- into the tippy top of my price range):

eBay link

The cover wear is pretty distinctive, so the book should be easily spotted in the future.

Here's a sampling of the worst offenders:

22746359710_81aacc4043_b.jpg

22516075168_0888a2d380_b.jpg

22313224143_580fc85b50_b.jpg

I counted 11 panels in total that had marker, but there could be more.

I want a disclosure that the book has marker in it, because that's a deal-killer for me. I'm not saying that it's not worth $150 to somebody, but that somebody isn't me with the marker in it.

And yes, the cover is great for the price, IMO. That's why I bought it in the first place.

Fair enough, but that's why you got it so cheap in the first place. I can see some kid in 1968 doodling for fun,we all have done it. I do see your point though,and if it were a high grade 1K book I wouldn't want writing either. A 150.00 book with a nice cover, and some writing inside? I wouldn't mind. (shrug)

I have a JIM 125 pence copy that I bought knowing it had a goatee drawn in on Thor on the cover. What I didn't realize was that it was like that through the entire book. I got it so cheap I decided to just keep it. The story is the same, though Thor seems slightly evil in it. Thor's evil twin!

I remember buying an Avengers 1 from an eBay seller (in the cusp of it taking off) which looked very decent in the scan and was graded VG/FN. It arrived and at first I thought it was undergraded. I then very quickly realised that a previous owner had coloured in all the super-hero costumes on the cover in neat biro ( not detectable in the scans). And on all the interior pages, as it turned out. The guy must've whiled away a few hours doing that.

The upshot was I got to return the book but lost $60 on shipping (both ways) as the seller stated it wasn't refundable in his T & Cs, despite his egregious oversight. I never dealt with him again. lol

Fair enough, but that's why you got it so cheap in the first place. I can see some kid in 1968 doodling for fun,we all have done it. I do see your point though,and if it were a high grade 1K book I wouldn't want writing either. A 150.00 book with a nice cover, and some writing inside? I wouldn't mind. (shrug)

It's still $150 nevertheless, and a brief notation in the blurb would've saved a lot of hassle.

I have a JIM 125 pence copy that I bought knowing it had a goatee drawn in on Thor on the cover. What I didn't realize was that it was like that through the entire book. I got it so cheap I decided to just keep it. The story is the same, though Thor seems slightly evil in it. Thor's evil twin!

So funny. Kind of makes me want the book.

So funny. Kind of makes me want the book.

your respoinse made me curious about the extent of the damage-- and I have apparently overestimated how much additional artwork was included.

here is the cover --- which has a couple of stamps on it to boot....

8HW9ZSkl.jpg

but the inside has more mustaches on Jane than Thor -- and plenty of pages appear untouched so that was a bonus I guess. This picture is a quick edit of each part that was altered on one massive picture (spoiler is full size if you want to examine it closer)...

CRZICARl.jpg

CRZICAR.jpg

I will have to dig it out but a few years back I picked up an FF 15 were someone had colored in every appearance of the Human Torch (inside the book) in a fine bright red marker. It was done so well that on first glance that I thought it was a printing error; there is no bleed through and no line work is obscured. I was impressed, someone spent a lot of time on this. I will try to get a scan up later.