• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Why do we value 1st appearances so much??

133 posts in this topic

I would much rather have and pay top dollar for a Silver Surfer 1 or 4 then a FF 48 since I love those two books. I of course seek out FF 48 since they command big bucks but I've always wondered why people care so much about 1st appearance they will debate for hours over Hulk 180/181.

For someone who collects comics to not understand why people seek out first appearances is... uh weird. It really is.

Also, comparing FF48 to Hulk 180/181 is not a fair comparison. People seek out FF48 because it's a true first appearance. People seek out Hulk 181 over 180 because it's more valuable. However, 180 is clearly the first time Wolvie appears

This is a bit of a tautology; 181 is more valuable because it's more sought after, and more sought after because it's valuable?

The 180/181 price spread will never make sense to me, regardless of the (rather meh) battle cover and full story. 180 should be the more valuable book, or they should at least be relatively equal, to be consistent with the first appearance logic most of the rest of the hobby seems to abide by.

Meaningless cameo at the end of/buried in a book < full story appearance 99.999% of the time.

Welcome to comic book collecting 101. (thumbs u

-J.

Tell that to Jimmy Olsen 134/name another book that had cameo then full app next issue worth more to back up the 99.999% claim.

I would much rather have and pay top dollar for a Silver Surfer 1 or 4 then a FF 48 since I love those two books. I of course seek out FF 48 since they command big bucks but I've always wondered why people care so much about 1st appearance they will debate for hours over Hulk 180/181.

For someone who collects comics to not understand why people seek out first appearances is... uh weird. It really is.

Also, comparing FF48 to Hulk 180/181 is not a fair comparison. People seek out FF48 because it's a true first appearance. People seek out Hulk 181 over 180 because it's more valuable. However, 180 is clearly the first time Wolvie appears

This is a bit of a tautology; 181 is more valuable because it's more sought after, and more sought after because it's valuable?

The 180/181 price spread will never make sense to me, regardless of the (rather meh) battle cover and full story. 180 should be the more valuable book, or they should at least be relatively equal, to be consistent with the first appearance logic most of the rest of the hobby seems to abide by.

Meaningless cameo at the end of/buried in a book < full story appearance 99.999% of the time.

Welcome to comic book collecting 101. (thumbs u

-J.

Tell that to Jimmy Olsen 134/name another book that had cameo then full app next issue worth more to back up the 99.999% claim.

Collectors prefer that one for the cover. Same with Hulk 181 (among the litany other well settled reasons).

And good job by the way pointing out one of the handful of obvious examples where a cameo sells for more than the more relevant (and desired) first full story appearance. Let's keep tilting at the hulk 180/181 windmill though. That never gets boring. (thumbs u

-J.

Theres a simple way to make IH180 blow up over 181

Marvel make a 2nd print of 180 with 3-3500 copies and put this on the cover

lol

I have said it before and I will say it again in the future, I am sure:

I don't care one whit if 181 is worth more. I understand it's the more popular issue, what with Wolverine being on the cover. It's people who dismiss #180 as the first appearance that drive me batty. Those same people inevitable call 181 his "first full appearance", which in this case, just means "second appearance".

Call 180 what you want, from a "cameo" to a "next issue teaser" to "meaningless" - it is still Wolverine's very first appearance. You cannot argue that, and if you do, you're crazier than a mess-house rat.

:)

-slym

Who "dismisses" 180 as Wolverine's first appearance? 180 is his first appearance, no matter how lame it is.

"First full appearance" is a relevant description, because it means Wolverine appears in more than just the last panel, and actually matters to the story.

Not all appearances (first or otherwise) are equal. This should hardly be news to anyone.

Theres a simple way to make IH180 blow up over 181

Marvel make a 2nd print of 180 with 3-3500 copies and put this on the cover

lol

I have said it before and I will say it again in the future, I am sure:

I don't care one whit if 181 is worth more. I understand it's the more popular issue, what with Wolverine being on the cover. It's people who dismiss #180 as the first appearance that drive me batty. Those same people inevitable call 181 his "first full appearance", which in this case, just means "second appearance".

Call 180 what you want, from a "cameo" to a "next issue teaser" to "meaningless" - it is still Wolverine's very first appearance. You cannot argue that, and if you do, you're crazier than a mess-house rat.

:)

-slym

Who "dismisses" 180 as Wolverine's first appearance? 180 is his first appearance, no matter how lame it is.

"First full appearance" is a relevant description, because it means Wolverine appears in more than just the last panel, and actually matters to the story.

Not all appearances (first or otherwise) are equal. This should hardly be news to anyone.

(worship) I can't believe how much I'm agreeing with you today. lol

-J.

I'm going to tell you why we value 1st appearances more than any other. I'm going to go to the root of this phenomena.

We have underlining need as collectors to have the best of the best,and that includes having the very first of something.

In other words we are batsheit crazy...... :ohnoez: