• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Do comics ever go down in price?

271 posts in this topic

The point being that they were dead wrong because they failed to take into account factors that were not visible at the time they were making their forecasts were going to drastically change the market. They simply extrapolated out that if conditions stayed the same that things were going to get worse.

Trying to forecast whether comics prices will go up or down is fraught with problems. But the historical trend has been up over every decade, so I am apt to believe that trend will continue.

Did you really just write this? Warning us about the dangers of linearly extrapolating past performance and current conditions indefinitely into the future and then proclaiming that "the historical trend has been up over every decade, so I am apt to believe that trend will continue"? foreheadslap.gifforeheadslap.gifforeheadslap.gif

The point being that they were dead wrong because they failed to take into account factors that were not visible at the time they were making their forecasts were going to drastically change the market. They simply extrapolated out that if conditions stayed the same that things were going to get worse.

Trying to forecast whether comics prices will go up or down is fraught with problems. But the historical trend has been up over every decade, so I am apt to believe that trend will continue.

Did you really just write this? Warning us about the dangers of linearly extrapolating past performance and current conditions indefinitely into the future and then proclaiming that "the historical trend has been up over every decade, so I am apt to believe that trend will continue"? foreheadslap.gifforeheadslap.gifforeheadslap.gif

popcorn.gif

Like I said, I'm not forecasting (you are). Stop trying to twist my words. makepoint.gif I was NOT warning about extrapolating past performance into the future. I was warning about naysayers looking at certain current market conditions and extrapoling how they will spell CERTAIN DOOM for comics! sumo.gif

I was stating the FACT that the trend in comics prices has been up since the dawn of comics in the 1930's.

Even when I sold my X-Men #101 CGC 9.4 book last year for $450 (that I'd purchased for $60 six months earlier), all I got was a look that told me, "wow, there's actually someone out there that's stupider than you are for collecting these funny books". yeahok.gif

Where in the world did yu find that book at that price?

$60 is a steal!

I bought a 9.2 at a the last con in Charlotte for $200...

Nice flip by the way...

I did snag a Giant Sized X-men #1 CGC 8.5 for $250 in January and I thought that was a great deal...

You deal on the other hand was sick man sick!

grin.gif

I bought it raw from a Canadian seller who had it listed as VF/NM for $45. I sent it to CGC ($15 fee) and received a 9.4 grade. Unfortunately, I can probably list a dozen other stupid transactions I've made over the past 2 years to offset this deal easily. foreheadslap.gif It was more luck than shrewd dealing.

Even when I sold my X-Men #101 CGC 9.4 book last year for $450 (that I'd purchased for $60 six months earlier), all I got was a look that told me, "wow, there's actually someone out there that's stupider than you are for collecting these funny books". yeahok.gif

$60 is a steal!

Nice flip by the way...

I did snag a Giant Sized X-men #1 CGC 8.5 for $250 in January and I thought that was a great deal...

grin.gif

I bought it raw from a Canadian seller who had it listed as VF/NM for $45. I sent it to CGC ($15 fee) and received a 9.4 grade. Unfortunately, I can probably list a dozen other stupid transactions I've made over the past 2 years to offset this deal easily. foreheadslap.gif It was more luck than shrewd dealing.

And the name of the Canadian seller is??

For this reason, I'm always skeptical towards any blanket statement that places collectors in the middle of any so-called heyday of "comic values" -- a discussion that seems to arise anytime the market reveals any signs of protracted stability, upturn or growth.

ar eyou saying that this isnt a heyday but merely a point on a curve?

And as the history so far of comics values has gone, specifically a point on an upward sloping curve?

If not, this WOULD be considerd the "last Heyday!".

I'm saying that its impossible to say with any level of determinism that what we are seeing now in terms of market values are going to be as good as it gets. Market forces have a peculiar way of making a mockery of any sort of pre-determinism. Aside from the public service element of cautionary spending, I don't think its always a good idea to be so fixated on the "economics" of consumer buying habits to the point where every single thing we do is analysed to the lowest common denominator.

If I'm led to feel a sort of despondency about the amount of money I've sunk into bad investments because some financial analyst or accountant tells me I've screwed-up, then thats different, and if I want to avoid the food bank line-ups, I've got to start measuring my risk threshold from that day forward. Working within reasonable limits of course, I don't particularly think this same cautionary approach towards governing my investment portfolio should in any way be tied to what I decide to spend toward hobby pursuits. If I want to buy a comic, I'm paying the amount of money I feel inclined to pay at that moment in time, regardless of whether the economist in id feels compelled to remind me to chalk it up as a bad investment.

$60 is a steal!

Nice flip by the way...

grin.gif

I knew I was going to asked this. Unfortunately, it was just a small time seller that ran out of books by the time I went back for some more. I'll have to check my records to find his name, and I'll post it when I do. Who knows, maybe he's back in business. It's funny because it took about a month for the book to arrive and I was about to leave negative feedback. Poor guy.

Looks like I started a good thread here. yay.gif

As Harrison Ford once said...."Dont get Cocky kid!" stooges.gif

$60 is a steal!

Nice flip by the way...

grin.gif

I knew I was going to asked this. Unfortunately, it was just a small time seller that ran out of books by the time I went back for some more. I'll have to check my records to find his name, and I'll post it when I do. Who knows, maybe he's back in business. It's funny because it took about a month for the book to arrive and I was about to leave negative feedback. Poor guy.

Well done for holding off on the negative. That sort of (lucky) transaction is all too rare on ebay these days........

Actually, it's really nice to see a long thread on a relatively controversial topic that has not degenerated into a flamewar. Things have certainly changed around here. thumbsup2.gif

Another thing that hasn't been mentioned.

When someone spends 10k on a comic, they don't have to get 10k's worth of pleasure from it.

If they turn around and sell it a year later for 9k, then if they got 1k's worth of pleasure out of it, they came out ahead.

If they turn around and sell it for 12k, then they really made out. They had the pleasure of owning it for a year, and a tidy little 20% profit to top it all off.

Also, a lot of the pleasure is in the thrill of the chase. Hunting down that book you want at the price you are willing to pay to own it.

Especially for someone like me. I don't have the means to ever own a thousand dollar book. Probably never will.

Not only don't I have the means, but I am also cheap by nature. The hunt for me is to not only find the book I want, in a grade I am willing to accept, but also to find it at well below market value.

It doesn't happen often, but when it does happen, that feeling is generally worth a lot more than what I paid for the book.

Actually, it's really nice to see a long thread on a relatively controversial topic that has not degenerated into a flamewar. Things have certainly changed around here. thumbsup2.gif

Well it was until Gene's last post, which has mysteriously disappeared. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

My response was going to be....

"Your post has some inaccuracies of what I stated previously, but for the sake of not wanting to start a flame war, I am not going to go into it.

I believe that there will continue to be strong demand for important SA comics for the foreseeable future. Apparently, you think that demand (and prices) will plummet as time goes on. We each have our reasons. We disagree and let's leave it at that."

Peace.

I'm new to collecting and I was wondering if prices ever go down or is it just up? Have prices ever gone down in the guide?

Any comic book will continue to appreciate in value over time. It's a steadfast rule.

foreheadslap.gif

I'm new to collecting and I was wondering if prices ever go down or is it just up? Have prices ever gone down in the guide?

Any comic book will continue to appreciate in value over time. It's a steadfast rule.

foreheadslap.gif

I think we're going around in circles here. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

foreheadslap.gif

I think we're going around in circles here. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Yeah, I give up.

For this reason, I'm always skeptical towards any blanket statement that places collectors in the middle of any so-called heyday of "comic values" -- a discussion that seems to arise anytime the market reveals any signs of protracted stability, upturn or growth.

ar eyou saying that this isnt a heyday but merely a point on a curve?

And as the history so far of comics values has gone, specifically a point on an upward sloping curve?

If not, this WOULD be considerd the "last Heyday!".

I'm saying that its impossible to say with any level of determinism that what we are seeing now in terms of market values are going to be as good as it gets. Market forces have a peculiar way of making a mockery of any sort of pre-determinism. Aside from the public service element of cautionary spending, I don't think its always a good idea to be so fixated on the "economics" of consumer buying habits to the point where every single thing we do is analysed to the lowest common denominator.

If I'm led to feel a sort of despondency about the amount of money I've sunk into bad investments because some financial analyst or accountant tells me I've screwed-up, then thats different, and if I want to avoid the food bank line-ups, I've got to start measuring my risk threshold from that day forward. Working within reasonable limits of course, I don't particularly think this same cautionary approach towards governing my investment portfolio should in any way be tied to what I decide to spend toward hobby pursuits. If I want to buy a comic, I'm paying the amount of money I feel inclined to pay at that moment in time, regardless of whether the economist in id feels compelled to remind me to chalk it up as a bad investment.

Your post sounded optimistic and I wanted to clarify if I was reading you right. It takes balls to be optimistic once these threads get going... and I was hoping thats what you were saying. I also feel that many segments of the comics market will be alright for some time to come.... and that many other segments wont.

Superman 75

X-Force 1

Astonishing X-Men 1 Retailer Variant

Punisher Mini-Series 1

Fish Police 1

etc

etc

etc