• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Death of Captain Marvel

63 posts in this topic

Killed by the United States Postal Service.

I'm too emotional to talk about this right now.

Please light a candle.

GSCM01-Death.jpg

that must be horrible to receive/see that gorgeous puppy killed like that...sorry about your hard time, hope you can recover your $$$ and hunto down another great copie soon.

Insurance claim update #1:

So far all I have figured out is that the insurance claim process at the USPS is confusing, especially to the employees that work there (probably by design).

I've talked to 3 different people, all with 3 different responses.

1. Counter: "You can't make a claim without the original receipts". "But they are in Florida." "What we ask is that you have the sender mail you the receipts. Then come back here, and we will ship everthing to another city for processing". "Can I get the item back?" "Nope, we keep it"

2. Phone (Help Line): "You can't make a claim for the package. Only the sender can, since he paid for the insurance." "But he doesn't have the damaged parcel?" "That's ok, you fill out a claim form without the receipts on your end and he makes a claim on his end and then we sort everything out." "But I was just at the post office and they said I needed receipts and wouldn't take the parcel." "Well, try again." "Can I get the item back?" "Yes, just add a note that you want it back, and they will send it to you."

3. Phone (Claims Office): "Make a claim, and we will contact the sender for the original receipts. Or, you can have the sender mail you the receipts before you make the claim." "Can I get the item back?" "We keep it if it has a salvage value of $10 or more, based on what the reviewer sees at the post office". "The person at the counter said they ship everything off to another city for processing". "Dammit, they are not supposed to do that anymore. If they send it there, you won't be getting it back." "So, if I want to keep it, I need to find a post office that processes claims on-site, have the receipts on hand, and convince the person that it is worth less than $10?" "Yep."

Receipts are on the way, so we'll see what happens.

Hi Mike,

Sorry for the loss of your book...I feel your pain frustrated.gif

And as someone who had to file an Insurance claim with the USPS last year, I REALLY feel your pain. Get ready for a heaping helping of incompetence and inept boobery.

For what its worth, if your claim is over $100, the claim should be forwarded to the main office in St. Louis, along with all accompanying documentation (receipts, Insurance slip, Claim form, etc.). Personally, I think it should be up to the sender, since they are in possession of the receipts, to do the paperwork and file the claim, and not you.

And be VERY wary of the process. I actually had my claim come back to me as "incomplete" because a box in the section of the claim form that the LOCAL POST OFFICE EMPLOYEE HAD TO COMPLETE was left blank. What box was it you ask? The date the item was shipped. So instead of checking the Cash receipt or the Insurance slip that was included with the paperwork to correct the local POSTAL WORKER'S MISTAKE, the Postal Inspector mailed the whole thing back to me to complete. My claim was delayed three weeks because of this. Just be prepared for the worst.

"So, if I want to keep it, I need to find a post office that processes claims on-site, have the receipts on hand, and convince the person that it is worth less than $10?"

i highly recommend you do this. highly recommend. even if they don't necessarily process the claim on-site, but rather make the inspection of damage.

it will take time and you will be in for a fight wrt replacement value, but ultimately it may work out. hey, if we wanted s*** done right at the USPS, we would be paying sixty cents a stamp

I had a claim with the USPS last year and filed it with the help of the local post office.

First off you will need a copy of the insurance receipt. this can be emailed or faxed to you from the seller.

If you have the seller sumbit the claim they will geet the refund, but if you sumbit then you get the refund.

You will also need to submit proof of value and proof of payment. proof of value will likely be a copy of the ebay page showing the auction. payment can be whatever means you used including a paypal page showing the itme paid for.

Mine was more complicated as I had won dozens of items from one seller and it was shipped in 4 boxes 2 of which were damaged, but only one box worth of books was drenched and destroyed.

Follow up with both the local postoffice as well as the St Louis office for the status and you will eventually get paid

That's terrible. In all my years of collecting via mail, I've never had a problem like that. Yet. But I hav a question about the book. Is the coloring of the background on the top half supposed to go from white to green left to right?

That's terrible. In all my years of collecting via mail, I've never had a problem like that. Yet. But I hav a question about the book. Is the coloring of the background on the top half supposed to go from white to green left to right?

My scanner had some trouble since it was in a bag and at different angles. The price box is supposed to be white, and the rest a semi-uniform obnoxious piz-yellow.

Well, I received a claim settlement today for $200. The seller had to come up with the difference because he didn't insure it for the full amount for some reason. At least that went ok - and quicker than I expected.

However, one incredibly annoying thing was that the post office wouldn't give me back the label so I could send it to CGC. (When I turned it in, they told me they would give it back). They destroy my book and then don't have the decency to give me back a worthless piece of paper. ARRGH. Christo_pull_hair.gif