• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What Would You Value This Lot at?

50 posts in this topic

Whenever I run into those books in a lot and try to sell them on ebay they're often very slow movers...so sadly I agree that $25 is about what they're worth.

That being said, for $40 you can do a lot worse in terms of a bundle of cool silver age books to read (and not have to worry about mishandling).

And if you want to sell them you can probably come somewhat close to recouping your money.

When I see stuff like this I see prime candidates for a cool personal Custom Bound Volume.

I've never done one but I sure do admire that Hobby and the results they get. :cloud9:

I agree, but these are not even a run.. Just random books with no significant story-line importance (shrug)

There really aren't any ongoing or continued "storylines" or "arcs" in DCs from this period: each issue generally contains a few self-contained stories (the Supes 156 is the exception -- it's a "book-length" story).

As a random sampling of the period, it's a cool lot -- add a few more to it and it would indeed make a decent bound volume.

I am going to go way out on the limb here and say what if, just if, he was actually going to keep the books for himself :o

I know this is a foreign concept to many, but just suppose someone were to actually buy comics to keep as opposed to sell. If this were the case I would say he got a great deal, look through the books, maybe even read them ( :o) and then put them in a mylite with a backing board, but make sure to pull them out from time to time to look over the cover art and marvel at how well they are drawn. (thumbs u

When I see stuff like this I see prime candidates for a cool personal Custom Bound Volume.

I've never done one but I sure do admire that Hobby and the results they get. :cloud9:

I agree, but these are not even a run.. Just random books with no significant story-line importance (shrug)

There really aren't any ongoing or continued "storylines" or "arcs" in DCs from this period: each issue generally contains a few self-contained stories (the Supes 156 is the exception -- it's a "book-length" story).

As a random sampling of the period, it's a cool lot -- add a few more to it and it would indeed make a decent bound volume.

Right, and not all that random. From his list it looks like Superman 153 through 159 and Superman (Giant) Annual #6. Plus a smattering of Superboy and Lois to keep it interesting.

A nice nostalgic volume. Toss in some Swan line art examples from the web, maybe an interview or article, table of contents. A custom book laid out to your liking.

Most custom bound books I see on the bay are usually straight runs/or have a common theme. Of course, there are no rules here if you keep them to yourself. But if your intentions are for flipping, the cost of binding of select short runs such as these (around 20-30 bucks for binding) wouldnt justify the efforts, where you could probably make the same return selling them separately, or as a lot.

In other words - no keys - no point in slabbing or custom binding for the sole purpose of reselling

I wouldn't bind em-ya never know when one of em might turn into a key-they could do a Kandi-Kan of Krypton TV show for instance.

For the record, I only brought up Custom Binding because they strike me as a cool, creative and fun.

I feel the exact same way about those Spinner Racks people find at flea markets. A batch of books like that would look great displayed in one of those. :cloud9: Someone earlier posted a wall of cheap IKEA frames. Very cool. (thumbs u

The main point is he did alright and now has something fun to enjoy however he chooses.

And... if he hangs out here long enough he'll notice that some of those who quickly diss a $43 overpay routinely lose big money on nosebleed books. Hundreds and hundreds of dollars. :eek: Those posts always freak me out, how causal it is. Part of the biz I guess, but damn. For many here $43 bucks is brats & beer on the way to a marketplace. :D

No.1 rule out here in the cheap seats: 'You can't lose more than you put in.' So, you know, have fun. Enjoy the books.

For the record, I only brought up Custom Binding because they strike me as a cool, creative and fun.

I feel the exact same way about those Spinner Racks people find at flea markets. A batch of books like that would look great displayed in one of those. :cloud9: Someone earlier posted a wall of cheap IKEA frames. Very cool. (thumbs u

The main point is he did alright and now has something fun to enjoy however he chooses.

And... if he hangs out here long enough he'll notice that some of those who quickly diss a $43 overpay routinely lose big money on nosebleed books. Hundreds and hundreds of dollars. :eek: Those posts always freak me out, how causal it is. Part of the biz I guess, but damn. For many here $43 bucks is brats & beer on the way to a marketplace. :D

No.1 rule out here in the cheap seats: 'You can't lose more than you put in.' So, you know, have fun. Enjoy the books.

He didn't ask if he got a deal, or if they were good reads or fun. He asked what value we would place on the lot.

He didn't ask if he got a deal, or if they were good reads or fun. He asked what value we would place on the lot.
I get that, and maybe it was just me. He asked 'what you think a market value of these books would be?'.

In my mind 'market value' usually = retail. And it seemed like many answers were what resellers might pay if they came across them. You know. Ownership or inventory.