• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What books do you see as basically worthless (not even worth a dime)?

103 posts in this topic

My experience: just about all mid-80s to present Marvel & DC will sell in runs / sets / bulk if priced cheaply - but certainly would not sell even at 1p if listed individually

The most worthless titles appear to be -

90s Image books (always loads in every collection I buy - infested with them)

Later Valiants

Malibu (yuk)

Unfortunately, a lot of the quality 1980s indie (First, Pacific etc) / Epic / 90s Vertigo books are also very low valued... with a few exceptions

However, in every pile of drek, there may be a diamond, as below...

ba12_zpsjmbfpsex.jpg

It's crazy how many Image books are in these boxes. 50 copies of Wildcats 1?? Why did the guy buy so many?

My advice is to always hedge. If you have 100 copies of Vogue #1, keep 10 and do away with the rest.

I would never do that with titles that have mainstream characters, though. There are always people trying to complete runs.

I think Batman LOTDK was a pretty good read.

It may be a good read but the number of #1 issues out there for me makes it absolutely worthless.

my LCS sells them for $4-$5 each. i see them put out and they are gone in a few weeks, so I think he actually sells them.

My advice is to always hedge. If you have 100 copies of Vogue #1, keep 10 and do away with the rest.

I would never do that with titles that have mainstream characters, though. There are always people trying to complete runs.

i was going to cry about blowing out like 50 copies of Infinity War 1 here for like 80 cents each a few years ago and then I see auction results like this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Infinity-War-1-One-PRISTINE-9-8-Beauty-Marvel-1992-Infinity-Gauntlet-AUCTION-NR-/141824899902?hash=item21056c3b3e:g:kmgAAOSwT5tWPjuw

uhg. I know, there are better results out there, but...

It may be a good read but the number of #1 issues out there for me makes it absolutely worthless.

my LCS sells them for $4-$5 each. i see them put out and they are gone in a few weeks, so I think he actually sells them.

I wonder if your LCS would want to buy a few longboxes of the book hm

While sifting thru 70 long boxes of primarily early 90s drek I've had to figure out which books are nearly worthless and which are at least possible sellers. I've designated Malibu books as instant donations while holding on to the Valiant stuff. Most of the Image books are being shipped off to the library where as the Spiderman books are being kept.

From your vantage point what books are not even worth $0.10 to anyone? Some people may consider all 90s as "worthless" but if you had to pick books to give away which ones would you pick?

Yeah, a shop was closing about 5 years ago and I had a good relationship with the owner, who I had only started shopping with about a month before the closing. On his last day he basically offered me 6 or 7 long boxes of that sort of drek..the stuff he just didn't want to haul home after his final going out of business sale and I just took a pass on it, for free. wasn't worth it to me to drag up the stairs (multiple flights) of my house. of course, each of those boxes probably had a few books that have popped since then, so maybe i am an insufficiently_thoughtful_person.

While sifting thru 70 long boxes of primarily early 90s drek I've had to figure out which books are nearly worthless and which are at least possible sellers. I've designated Malibu books as instant donations while holding on to the Valiant stuff. Most of the Image books are being shipped off to the library where as the Spiderman books are being kept.

From your vantage point what books are not even worth $0.10 to anyone? Some people may consider all 90s as "worthless" but if you had to pick books to give away which ones would you pick?

Yeah, a shop was closing about 5 years ago and I had a good relationship with the owner, who I had only started shopping with about a month before the closing. On his last day he basically offered me 6 or 7 long boxes of that sort of drek..the stuff he just didn't want to haul home after his final going out of business sale and I just took a pass on it, for free. wasn't worth it to me to drag up the stairs (multiple flights) of my house. of course, each of those boxes probably had a few books that have popped since then, so maybe i am an insufficiently_thoughtful_person.

It's thinking like that that will get you on an episode of Hoarders. :)

It's probably worth figuring out an estimate of our costs of storing a book to make us feel better about missing out on a couple of hot books so we don't all end up buried alive in long boxes.

There's a local dealer who says late-run Excalibur books are tough to get, and he sells at a premium. In fact, everything end-run at Marvel gets jacked up in his booth... not sure if he actually sells them...

Those later issues are always tougher to come by. I'm dealing with the early issues which are as common as dirt and less in demand.

Apparently, offbeat 80's indie books. Tried to sell a long box of these on the boards awhile back for 20 bucks plus shipping. Not even a nibble.

Yep I sold all my boring stuff to a work buddy so I could focus on the exciting indy stuff in the 80s

All the boring stuff like X Men annual #1 Nova #1 Ms Marvel #1 Spiderman 121 122 and them kinda books.

I wonder if your LCS would want to buy a few longboxes of the book hm

no doubt he has a long box of three in the basement from which he pulls out a few copies every month or two. he doesn't pay anything for this sort of stuff so he can be patient. he gets a lot of tourists and foot traffic so they see a "batman 1" for $4 and maybe they buy it.

It's thinking like that that will get you on an episode of Hoarders. :)

It's probably worth figuring out an estimate of our costs of storing a book to make us feel better about missing out on a couple of hot books so we don't all end up buried alive in long boxes.

i looked at the boxes and my back started to hurt, so i said no thanks

Lately, I'm thinking my instinct about an NFL SuperPro movie in the next 3-5 years might be slightly off. I've watched the Guardians of the Galaxy Blu Ray frame by frame and he's nowhere to be found in the Collector's trophies. So sadly i think those books might have no value. But I hope my lack of faith doesn't stop the true believers out there.