• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

More reasons the Customer is Always Right!

18 posts in this topic

This came in my email today:

I bid on the below item. It arrived in the mail today, and it is not what you said it is, This is NOT an uncut sheet of marvel trading cards it is a poster. I have uncut sheet, and it is printed on Heavy paper. A cun cut sheet is a colectable a promo poster is not. You didnt list it was a post but uncut sheet. I will ship this back and want a full refund, or I will post Negetive feedback.

So I made a mistake and will give him a refund. The grammatical errors notwithstanding, this is a nice way to get BANNED from all of MY auctions. Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr. Would this guy be this person_without_enough_empathyy to a regular store? I seriously doubt it.

I feel your pain donut. Any time that I have received an item that is not as described, I've simply sent a polite email and usually the problem gets corrected. There really is no excuse for this to be the first correspondence sent when there is a problem.

Emails like this would almost tempt me to keep the jerks item and his money and just eat the negative feedback. mad.gif

I know you won't do that.....but just thinking about it and what the look on his face would be can be fun. tongue.gif

A) It's Ebay, "Home of Dishonest Sellers" (Not you, Donut, but I have heard there are unscrupulous types lurking around out there! shocked.gif )

B) He, in fact, DIDN'T get what he ordered.

C) Add A + B and that's why the guy was so pissed. Sure, you might catch more flies with honey, but I've seen a lot of flies on big, steaming, piles of [!@#%^&^] before, too. (Insert your own joke about any number of forum members here for hours of fun and excrement! Er, excitement!)

I read this e-mail as too curt and almost entirely neutral. I'm not sure what you see in it that is explicitly negative, other than him pointing out that you misdescribed the item, which I'm assuming you did since you're not claiming he's full of [!@#%^&^]. He doesn't show any indication he's OK with the misunderstanding, nor does he show any sign of being pissed either. Very neutral message; not sure why it got you worked up.

Now RickDogg's responses to overgraders...THOSE are rude beyond a shadow of a doubt. tongue.gif

I think any of us can be an [!@#%^&^] and not show any emotion while doing it. Not being an [!@#%^&^] and not being overly emotional are two different things. This guy didn't convey any emotion, but he implied plenty of it and he's obviously pissed.

Donut, my feeling is he reacted that way because he was dissapointed. It's frustrating for a buyer (I know, cause I am one) to send money for a product only to find out weeks later it's not what he wanted. Now, he has to go through the hassle and expense of returning an item and he's also wondering if the seller (you) is going to give him the run-around at the same time. So, he's upset. His message is not to you, so don't take it personal, it's more a result of his frustration. Another thing to consider is right now he believes that you purposely tried to rip him off, although that wasn't your intention, so he's a little worried about the kind of person you are.

Admittedly, my initial emails to a seller when I'm dissapointed are somewhere along the lines of what he wrote so I know where I'm coming from. But, as soon as I get a polite response from the seller, my demeanor changes immediately and its like we're best buds. Also, emails are one of the most difficult ways to communicate because body movement, hand movement, eye contact are impossible. So, many times words written can easily be misconstrood. (Not sure if I spelled that right)

Have to agree with the disapointed angle. This guy obviously was anticipating something he didn't get. Sure his e-mail was curt, but he probably typed it and sent it when emotions were high.

He wasn't particulrly offensive or abusive to you, so I don't see the need for you to feel so personally slighted.

It was just rudely written. He demands a refund and makes threats if he doesn't get it. That's just rude. He could have politely explained the problem and asked for a refund. With perhaps a please and thank you thrown in for good measure.

He could have politely explained the problem and asked for a refund. With perhaps a please and thank you thrown in for good measure

Very true. In a perfect world everyone would be like that. grin.gif

He's just saying plainly what EVERY single ebay buyer thinks--if you get an item that isn't what the description said it was, don't you expect a refund, and won't you leave negative feedback if you don't get it? I wouldn't say that in an e-mail myself, yea, he didn't show tact...but he just said plainly what most everybody thinks or does anyway in this situation. No big deal at all.

You girls need to get rid of your pigtails and dresses and act like men. tongue.gif

Now RickDogg's responses to overgraders...THOSE are rude beyond a shadow of a doubt.

Just to clarify (although I know you are joking)...I have received many overgraded books on ebay just like all of you. I've always emailed the seller politely to resolve the issue...I even keep most of the [!@#%^&^] I get since I leave a "margin of error" depending on the grade assigned by the seller. Stuart however was a just a plain ol' and sent me nasty emails just because I returned books to him. His unprofessionalism was disturbing and I had to tell Osbourne_France my opinion of him since he asked in the first place. If you notice...the jerk has removed his me page and is undergrading his books a bit to cover his [!@#%^&^] now. mad.gif

Rick, your a professional seller/buyer on e-bay and know how to conduct yourself in a professional manner. Not everyone has that skill - especially many of the buyers on e-bay. Sure, he's rude in his complaint and if the response is polite any professional will have him eating out of his/her hands. A rude response, which admittedly is what he deserves, only serves to escalate a tense situation. And I know that you know.

How do I know?

Because your a professional. grin.gif

Bug, don't you dare tell me to get a room. mad.gif

You may be an honest seller that will honor your end of a transaction, but not everyone is. For every decent buyer/seller on ebay, there are 5 shills/deadbeats/scamers or whatever else. Perhaps he's been burned one time too many, and decided to send a firmly worded email as a showing of conviction and back bone. Unfortunetly, being polite can sometimes be an invitation to getting screwed over by predatorial type personalities. Sending a firm email can send the message that S$#T will not be tolerated. Just handle it proffessionally(I'm sure you already have) and don't let it get to you.