• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CCS Pressing & Dry Cleaning

71 posts in this topic

Why don't you just not press the books in the first place? (shrug) I figure if they lasted 30,40,50+ years in good shape why subject them to pressing. I must admit that I am an anti presser, but I also realize that cat is outta the bag. The reality is your book was ruined by pressing,bet you wish you hadn't done it.

I'm not anti pressing but I think the whole process is overused. It's great to get rid of light folds or creases but not to squeeze out every spine tick. While a good press may not be detectable a bad press can be spotted easily, much like a bad toupee or face lift. There is now an accepted 'new look' to comics in the marketplace that often sees cover shifts, shrinkage, slight browning on the spine, etc. Personally, I'd rather see a natural look with a little wrinkling on the cover, it adds character.

3rd party pressers I use

https://www.cfpcomics.com

http://www.comicsinaflash.com

And a local guy if you're in Canada.

Have you had better results with these other companies? Better prices?

Yes, definitely.

Dr. Press?

There are 5 in the GTA that I know of. I'm sure there are more. Comic Dr is one.

3rd party pressers I use

https://www.cfpcomics.com

http://www.comicsinaflash.com

And a local guy if you're in Canada.

Have you had better results with these other companies? Better prices?

Yes, definitely.

Dr. Press?

There are 5 in the GTA that I know of. I'm sure there are more. Comic Dr is one.

I think I will try the Comic Doctor next time I need pressing done. The US dollar is too much these days.

Cheers, Howard

I've been wanting to have some books pressed for a while, a friend sent his Hulk 181 to CCS and between them and CGC it took 6 months for him to get it back! He said that CCS had it for 4 months so unless I'm at a convention and they're doing onsite pressing, I probably won't bother with them.

Junk Donkey, thanks for the links. I'm going with comicsinaflash. Their pictures are really worth 1,0000 words. What they did with that mangled X-men #4 sold me for sure!

Good pressing takes time. With everyone and their mother throwing every book under the sun at good pressers, the time is going to get longer and longer and longer.

It is amazing the results good pressers can get...attention to detail that makes the difference between a 9.4 and a 9.8...but it takes...a lot....of time.

It is not easy, it is not simple, and it is not fast.

It's one hell of a lot more complicated than buying a press and tossing the books in for 5 minutes.

I had my first book pressed by CCS come back. I was very impressed with the work. It had 2 NCB bends: 3/4" on the FC and 1/2"on the BC, a 1/4" fingerbend with a hint of CB, and 6 minor light spine ticks on the BC that were very noticeable due to the dark BC. the 1/2" bend on the BC was deep and sharp and had a hint of CB that did not look like it would come out. In all I gave it a 9.0/9.2 at best. I was hoping for a 9.4 but didnt think it had a shot at anything better. It came back a 9.6 with all 3 bends smoothed out and a significant reduction in the visibility of the spine ticks. They are still there but harder to see unless holding at a sharp angle under good lighting.

I had sent a few books to CFP via a competing grading service. Unfortunately the competing grading service personnel screwed up on 2 separate invoices and failed to send the books to CFP for a press first but proceeded to grade them with predictably disappointing results. I won't be doing that again but may test the waters with CFP and CGC.

I'm currently looking for a service that could remove a slight speck of non staining goo from the cover prior to a press without leaving a trace of being cleaned or garnering a restored label.

I dropped some books off at the CCS/CGC booth at the Jersey COmic Con last month to get pressed and graded, one of them was a ASM #129 that was already an 8.0 slab I cracked open, always thought it looked better than that so lets see what happens, this was the test for me.

I dropped some books off at the CCS/CGC booth at the Jersey COmic Con last month to get pressed and graded, one of them was a ASM #129 that was already an 8.0 slab I cracked open, always thought it looked better than that so lets see what happens, this was the test for me.

g' luck

Just got my ASM #129 back from CCS/CGC, came back graded a 9.0 with the press from the 8.0 slab I cracked open. Not bad.

Just got my Amazing spiderman #300 back from a CCS press and grading. Went from an 8.5 to a 9.2.

Excellent result. Would you mind saying how long the whole process took? Thanks.