• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Should I sell one of my Batman 100s to fund another Bats book purchase?

19 posts in this topic

Hey guys,

I have a slight predicament: with Christmas coming up, obviously my money and focus should be (and is) on my wife and two kids, but there are some early GA Bats books up for auction that have piqued my interest hm

I have a few copies of Batman 100 in my collection, and thus this is where my predicament arises. Should I sell one of my undercopies to help finance the acquisition of one of these early GA Batman books or not? My ultimate goal is to compete the entire Batman run (#1 and #2 are out of the question at the moment), but I don't want to make a decision I would regret in the long run. I could reasonably get $500 or more for one of my undercopies, but long-term would it be worth it to sell a Batman 100 for say a Batman 12 or 15 that's not necessarily considered a key issue?

The collector side of me is saying to do it since I need to complete my run, but the business man in me is telling me to hold on to the 100s long-term as they are sought after by many collectors and could appreciate more over the years than some of the less important GA Batman books. If Christmas wasn't a month away, I would obviously be using my disposable income in the auctions, but my dad and husband roles are my priority this time of the year lol Again, should I hold on to my Batman 100s or sell one to go after a non-key GA issue? What would you do in this situation?

I would think a batman 12 or 15 would be more desirable and more difficult to find than issue 100.

12 and 15 are both war time covers advertising war bonds and they both have the original large Batman logo. I think it's an easy choice. Sell one of the 100s.

+1

I had a Batman 100 and sold it and purchased another one. I had a Batman 27 and sold it and have had a heck of time getting another. I also sold my Batman 14 and it was hard to replace. Thanks to a Board member for that one. I don't think it is hard to replace Batman 100 unless it is super high grade. The other issues with Joker covers (11, 23, 37, 44) and 47 and 25 and 20 and below are harder to get and a lot of work goes into replacing them.

5997633077_2a89b28885_b.jpg

8476727511_7d4bcd79f7_b.jpg

We are following in the footsteps of Biljo White. He was a great artist, a real superhero and he had a complete Batman collection back in the late sixties. :headbang:

I would think a batman 12 or 15 would be more desirable and more difficult to find than issue 100.

12 and 15 are both war time covers advertising war bonds and they both have the original large Batman logo. I think it's an easy choice. Sell one of the 100s.

+1

+1......................ESPECIALLY if the number 15 gets the nod. That is one fantastic comic cover to cover....... GOD BLESS....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

+1

+1......................ESPECIALLY if the number 15 gets the nod. That is one fantastic comic cover to cover....... GOD BLESS....

I do like the stories and art in 12 but 15 has a pretty good cover. I am also very fond of 19 and hope to get a better copy some day.

18989742689_5a8a128e56_c.jpg

I think my real problem is how do I buy more books without having to sell any of my current ones lol.

The answer to that is really a no-brainer; of course you don't sell any of your prized Batman comics.

In order to fund the purchases of some of the books you want, simply sell the wife and children into slavery! ;)

+1

I do like the stories and art in 12 but 15 has a pretty good cover. I am also very fond of 19 and hope to get a better copy some day.

...the Sprang Atlantis story in 19 is one of my top 25 Batman stories.... at one time it was believed to be the first Sprang solo story, but I don't know if that consensus still holds..... GOD BLESS...

If you want to think of investment potential, I recommend Vanguard...the S&P 500 index fund, in particular.

As for comics...pursue the completion of your goal...sell what you need to, to complete your run...seems to be where you would get the most collecting enjoyment. 2c

+1

This

Sell all the undercopies, you hoarder, lol

You might accumulate enough cash to buy two or three nice early issues. After all, are you a Batman 100 collector or a BATMAN collector?

Yes, definitely sell one of your Batman 100's since you have multiples of a unimportant and much later issue with what is basically a nothing cover image.

Then use the money to obtain an earlier tougher to find issue with a more classic cover image. (thumbs u

+1 (thumbs u

If you want to think of investment potential, I recommend Vanguard...the S&P 500 index fund, in particular.

As for comics...pursue the completion of your goal...sell what you need to, to complete your run...seems to be where you would get the most collecting enjoyment. 2c

Good suggestion, my son works for Vanguard...

+1

...the Sprang Atlantis story in 19 is one of my top 25 Batman stories.... at one time it was believed to be the first Sprang solo story, but I don't know if that consensus still holds..... GOD BLESS...

23253616531_467890f9a8_b.jpg

22709048393_001968ff37_b.jpg

Great stuff in that one... :headbang:

+1

23253616531_467890f9a8_b.jpg

22709048393_001968ff37_b.jpg

Great stuff in that one... :headbang:

When Sprang started on those pages, he likely mused, "I'm going to GET me this job :sumo: "................GOD BLESS...