• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Grails by age....

80 posts in this topic

What are your personal grails for each comic age? Yes. I know this topic has been covered before, but I don't care....so please don't just post a snide comment and a link to a thread that ended 6 months ago. sumo.gif Anyways, here are mine (None of which I own). Feel free to share yours... flowerred.gif

Golden Age : Detective 31, Mask 1 and 2

Atomic Age : Weird Science Fantasy 29, Famous Funnies 213

Silver Age : X-Men 1

Bronze Age : ASM 129

Modern Age : Albedo 2

Golden Age: Great Comics 3 (have), More Fun 52 (don't have) , All-Star 8 (don't have)

Atomic Age: Tales from the Crypt 33 (have), Shock Suspenstories 12 (have)

Silver Age: Spectre 1 in 9.4 or better (don't have)

Bronze Age: Adventure Comics 431 in 9.4 or better (don't have)

Modern Age: ??

Golden Age: Great Comics 3 (have)

Weird, I was looking through my photojournal last night and came across this issue. I made note of it and muttered to myself how awesome the cover was. thumbsup2.gif

All good picks. I'd go for.........

Golden Age : Fantastic Comics 3, Detective 31, Captain America Comics 1, Suspense 3.

Atomic Age : Weird Mysteries 5 (FN and up), Crypt Of Terror 17, Startling Terror Tales 11, Black Cat Mystery 50 (HG) Captain Aero 26 (FN and up).

Silver Age : Amazing Fantasy 15, Fantastic Four 1, ASM 1, JLA 1 (HG)

Bronze Age : HOM 174, 175, 179 (NM), Fantastic Four 112 (NM).

Modern Age : Cerebus 1 (HG).

Weird, I was looking through my photojournal last night and came across this issue. I made note of it and muttered to myself how awesome the cover was. thumbsup2.gif

Yep, it is a keeper. thumbsup2.gif There was a slabbed 5.5 on ebay a few months back, I believe it went for $1200 or so. My copy is a 3.5, but has nice eye appeal. grin.gif

BTW, what's Albedo? confused.gif Please forgive me for being a modern age [#@$%!!!]... sorry.gif

No prob, I am sure there are a lot of people who haven't heard of it. Albedo was a comic published by Thoughts and Images devoted soley to anthropomorphics (fancy word for saying animals that act like humans). Albedo 2 feaured the first appearance of Usagi Yojimbo, as well as a kickass cover. The print run was only 2000 copies and the cover was black, which makes it tough to find at all, let alone in HG. Here is a link to further info if anyone cares....

http://www.usagiyojimbo.com/casl/comics/albedo-vol1-nr2/albedo2.html

Yep, it is a keeper. thumbsup2.gif There was a slabbed 5.5 on ebay a few months back, I believe it went for $1200 or so. My copy is a 3.5, but has nice eye appeal. grin.gif

I think I remember it, back cover damage, right? I recall thinking 3.5 was harsh....

I'll limit my list to those books I most want from each era and don't yet have, but have reasonable expectations of aquiring in the next couple of years, although not in the next few weeks.

Golden Age: Headline #8 VG or so

Atom Age: Blood is the Harvest VG or so

Silver Age: Fantastic Four #5 VG- or so (after the movie when the hoopla dies down)

Stoned Age: Tales from the Ozone #1 VG/F or better

Bronze Age: Some odds and ends, but no real "grail"

Copper/Modern: Really only looking for a Next Men #21

I think I remember it, back cover damage, right? I recall thinking 3.5 was harsh....

Yeah, some chipping on the back cover, and the spine's seen better days. But still one of the sharpest 3.5's you're likely to see!

GreatComics3VG4.jpg

Cool thread.

Gold:

Tec 27, 31

AA 16

Atomic:

WSF 29

Silver:

AF 15 (acquired)

FF1, 5, random Kirby FF OA page

Bronze:

N/A (I have everything that I'd consider a bronze *grail*)

Copper:

TMNT 1 1st print 8.5 or better

Cerebus 1

Modern:

No books, just a McKean Sandman cover 893whatthe.gif

What are your personal grails for each comic age? Yes. I know this topic has been covered before, but I don't care....so please don't just post a snide comment and a link to a thread that ended 6 months ago. sumo.gif Anyways, here are mine (None of which I own). Feel free to share yours... flowerred.gif

Golden Age : Detective 31, Mask 1 and 2

Atomic Age : Weird Science Fantasy 29, Famous Funnies 213

Silver Age : X-Men 1

Bronze Age : ASM 129

Modern Age : Albedo 2

I'll add Platinum Age: The Yellow Kid in McFadden's Flats nn

Golden Age: Action Comics 1, Captain America 46, Millie the Model 1, Young Romance 1, Phantom Lady 17

Atomic Age: Crime Patrol 15

Silver Age: Any issues of "The Rag", Austin's underground paper, featuring the Fabulous Furry Freak Brothers

Bronze Age: Conan 104 in 9.8 or higher, FOOM 10, Cancelled Comic Cavalcade, original art to the cover of FF 166

Modern Age: I really can't think of anything. TMNT 1, maybe.

My collecting grail lately are non-comic items. I'm looking for the self-published Bill James Baseball Abstracts, published from 1977-1981. I have a 1979 original that I found on eBay. The 1977 first issue, the 1977, had 75 copies sold. A reprint just sold for $81. An original? Who knows. I've never ever seen one.

Interesting thread:

Golden Age: Detective 1, 8; Four Color 9; All-Star 3 (have none)

Silver Age: AF15; FF1, 4, 5; Showcase 4 (have none)

Bronze Age: Hulk 181; GL 76; GS X-Men 1 (have all)

Copper Age: Albedo 2; TMNT 1; Cerebus 1 (have Albedo, TMNT)

In case you haven't seen one, here's my Albedo 2:

Albedo_2s.jpg

Interesting thread:

Golden Age: Detective 1, 8; Four Color 9; All-Star 3 (have none)

Silver Age: AF15; FF1, 4, 5; Showcase 4 (have none)

Bronze Age: Hulk 181; GL 76; GS X-Men 1 (have all)

Copper Age: Albedo 2; TMNT 1; Cerebus 1 (have Albedo, TMNT)

In case you haven't seen one, here's my Albedo 2:

Albedo_2s.jpg

hail.gifhail.giffrustrated.gif

gossip.gif I have 2 copies, but one has this on the inside page:

Albedo2Sig.jpg

cloud9.gifcloud9.gif I won't sell either! acclaim.gif

Those are trully cloud9.gif books!

I have the whole series in reprint or original comics and love 'em all. I often loan a stack of graphic novels to my dad to read. If there's a Usagi stuck in the middle or bottom of the stack, it will still be the very first one that he reads! 27_laughing.gif

OT: The closest thing I've found on video that the has the same feel as Usagi is the Zatoichi series. The Blind Sword Pig is based on Zatoichi the movie character, but this is one case where I love the original more than Stan's take on the character. I can recommend a few titles if anyone is interested.

The Blind Sword Pig is based on Zatoichi the movie character, but this is one case where I love the original more than Stan's take on the character. I can recommend a few titles if anyone is interested.

Recommend away. thumbsup2.gif