• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Hints at spotting scams on eBay?

42 posts in this topic

how about this for it's scam potential? It's a textbook example:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Showcase-22-Sep-Oct-1959-DC-CGC-2-5-FIRST-GREEN-LANTERN-of-Silver-Age-/121825944594?hash=item1c5d646412:g:yjwAAOSwI-BWHTU2

- bad pictures

- bad description (reads just: "Showcase 22 CBC 2.5"... didn't even get the 'CGC' part right)

- 80% positive feedback

- 3 day auction on a huge key??

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Showcase-22-Sep-Oct-1959-DC-CGC-2-5-FIRST-GREEN-LANTERN-of-Silver-Age-/121825944594?hash=item1c5d646412:g:yjwAAOSwI-BWHTU2

- bad pictures

- bad description (reads just: "Showcase 22 CBC 2.5"... didn't even get the 'CGC' part right)

- 80% positive feedback

You forgot to read one of his negs: "Fraud, please be aware! No contact, no item..." :D

- bad pictures

- 80% positive feedback

You forgot to read one of his negs: "Fraud, please be aware! No contact, no item..." :D

I did actually catch that - forgot to mention it... huge red flags

My dad died and I'm just unloading-

Funny, I was going to bring this up.

After I die my kids will probably be selling my books or some of them on eBay and neither one has an eBay account, any knowledge of using eBay and very little to no knowledge of comic books, so...

Even though keys like Incredible Hulk 181, ST 110, TTA 27, ASM 2-5,14, Avengers 4, ,F.F 2-5 etc, may show up for sale from a buyer with 0 feedback and saying that this was their dads's collection will they be considered scammers???

If so, how do they avoid that???

I did leave detailed instructions with my Will about selling (Local Dealers, eBay, Auction House,) grading, taking/posting photo's,links to sites with info about comics and comic terminology, comicbook forums and posting threads with questions, etc and told them to gather as much info as possible before attempting to sell.

I am also in the process of grading, cataloging and photographing the collection so it will be available to them when the day comes.

But again...

Is all of that enough for them not to be considered Scammers???

Common sense.

:sumo: .

If its too good to be true it most likely is. no matter what some may say.

PS. NOBODY ..... NOBODY!.... is going to have a comic graded ( at cgc or whatever), the likes of AF 15 - Hulk 1 - FF1 - Hulk 181 etc.. and then sell it for hundreds, if not thousands lower then gpa. Sadly some never learn and still think "there's a chance" :facepalm:

rantrant

so yeah, "try" to use common sense! (thumbs u

After I die my kids will probably be selling my books or some of them on eBay and neither one has an eBay account, any knowledge of using eBay and very little to no knowledge of comic books, so...

Even though keys like Incredible Hulk 181, ST 110, TTA 27, ASM 2-5,14, Avengers 4, ,F.F 2-5 etc, may show up for sale from a buyer with 0 feedback and saying that this was their dads's collection will they be considered scammers???

I did leave detailed instructions with my Will about selling (Local Dealers, eBay, Auction House,) grading, taking/posting photo's,links to sites with info about comics and comic terminology, comicbook forums and posting threads with questions, etc and told them to gather as much info as possible before attempting to sell.

I am also in the process of grading, cataloging and photographing the collection so it will be available to them when the day comes.

But again...

Obviously, in most circumstances we don't know when we will die. Yes, it can happen suddenly and without warning.

However, why burden your family with what you leave behind? Pick a date sometime in the future and liquidate everything. It will save your family the hassle and you will have full control over how you sell it off.

But again...

Obviously, in most circumstances we don't know when we will die. Yes, it can happen suddenly and without warning.

However, why burden your family with what you leave behind? Pick a date sometime in the future and liquidate everything. It will save your family the hassle and you will have full control over how you sell it off.

+1 to this.

Remember, a novice-seller of high-$$ keys is ripe for BEING scammed too.

Or introduce em on the boards and tell them to keep the link so boardies will know theyre legit. They can sell em here pretty effectively.

But again...

Collecting to the day I die unless I get Dementia and forget what I was doing...

Wait...what were we talking about???

scammers are watching this thread to get ideas how to avoid being spotted....

:hi:

The age old adage... "If it's too good to be true, then it probably is..."

Plus 2. That adage has kept me out of trouble more than a few times. Most people probably know that if somethings worth their time to list on eBay, they probably have a halfway decent idea of what it is and what it's worth. Not always, but more times than not.

If it's some novice you will know because they will list some drek for $300. The reverse, a novice listing some key for cheap-yeah that never happens. Novices immediately go to ebay, see what the highest value of their book is, then double or triple it and sit back and wait for the bucks ton roll in.

But again...

I have left instructions with my wife and kids that if anything happens to me (dying, permanently incapacitated etc...) to contact one of the auction houses like ComicConnect, ComicLink, Heritage and so on to sell my collection for them if they don't want to keep it for themselves. That way they don't have to hassle with all this and would still receive a fair value for my books.

Kind of sad to think about this really.....all my years of collecting going poof, just to be sold off in some auction.

:cry:

But again...

I have left instructions with my wife and kids that if anything happens to me (dying, permanently incapacitated etc...) to contact one of the auction houses like ComicConnect, ComicLink, Heritage and so on to sell my collection for them if they don't want to keep it for themselves. That way they don't have to hassle with all this and would still receive a fair value for my books.

Kind of sad to think about this really.....all my years of collecting going poof, just to be sold off in some auction.

:cry:

YES SIR, HAVE A PLAN!

Educate them or leave a very detailed will on how to liquidate your books.

I have some associates that are in my inner circle that I trust to help in this given situation.

My wife knows all that I have for consignment and what I have in the Safe Deposit Box. What the value is and how to look at GPA, etc.

scammers are watching this thread to get ideas how to avoid being spotted....

:hi:

The age old adage... "If it's too good to be true, then it probably is..."

Plus 2. That adage has kept me out of trouble more than a few times. Most people probably know that if somethings worth their time to list on eBay, they probably have a halfway decent idea of what it is and what it's worth. Not always, but more times than not.

I've gotten my best deals on eBay buying the "too good to be true" comics. I've never had an issue. Between eBay and PayPal, you are pretty well covered as a buyer, so there are few auctions I hesitate on except those with blurry pictures that are described as NM.

Maybe I'm just lucky.