• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Hints at spotting scams on eBay?

42 posts in this topic

I see a couple of running threads about known scammers on eBay, and I truly am grateful for people here trying to help keep others informed. I also know that these thing can be very hard to spot, and the tread listing these people is very long. So those scammer spotters out there, how are you picking up on these people? What are your tips to spot them?

Low or zero Feedback or 0 FB as seller. Never sold comics before but suddenly have these keys. AF15, Hulk 181, Hulk 1, FF 1. Buy it now for less than half value. Google their ebay id see what comes up. Hint at deals outside ebay 'offers considered'.

They have to get their photos from somewhere. Usually it's either from ebay (search both completed and current listings) or heritage.

But, almost always they have low feedback. If they don't, but you still suspect a scam, check their feedback. If they haven't sold anything in over a year, and when they did it wasn't comics related, and now, suddenly they are selling a 5 figure comic for way below fair market, it's probably a hijacked account.

Another thing I've noticed is they are skimpy on verbiage in their listings. It's like AF 15 Marvel Comics 1962.

That's it.

If they offer you some "midnight nookie" as well…it's probably a scam.

You should still take them up on the "midnight nookie" though…it's totally awesome!

Only if there's free shipping involved.

You know it's a scam when;

They list a book with a BIN at half GPA

They don't have multiple pics of the book allowing for at least some assessment of condition

They say NM+ then disclaim it by saying they are not professional graders

They don't have a picture of the actual item, only a stock pic, or a picture of some chick

They say they'll deliver it to your house by hand past 9pm on a Tuesday

You send them a "Best offer" and they respond with a lower offer.

You receive the package in the mail and open it to find lots of packing peanuts, a pic, and no book.

I am not a grading professional or no grade

Blurry pics

Describing a defect with no pic of it on higher dollar books.

No refunds

No returns

Low feedback

Long period of no activity

No other auctions

CGC it - Okay this is for stupid sellers too, but it fits

My Local Comics shop told me

I looked it up......