• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Gil Kane cover appreciation thread

43 posts in this topic

Disrespect? Gene said he thought he was better than Adams. (shrug):grin:

I always liked Kane. Solid artist that doesn't get the respect he should. The way some people talk about him, you'd think he was Frank Robbins w/ Colletta inks. At best, people think he's Herb Trimpe or (good) Sal Buscema. But he's better than those guys. He did some really nice work.

Showcase #34 was always one of my favorite SA covers.

Disrespect? Gene said he thought he was better than Adams. (shrug):grin:

I always liked Kane. Solid artist that doesn't get the respect he should. The way some people talk about him, you'd think he was Frank Robbins w/ Colletta inks. At best, people think he's Herb Trimpe or (good) Sal Buscema. But he's better than those guys. He did some really nice work.

Showcase #34 was always one of my favorite SA covers.

Part of the problem was that he was ill-served by inkers who weren't compatible with his style. I am not a big fan of most of his GL or Atom stuff because most of the time, he was being inked by somebody else. If you want to see really good Kane, check out his self-inked stuff. There's a lot of mystery/sci-fi and western DC stuff that he self-inked. Another body of work was his stint on late Tales to Astonish. The Hulk vs. Abomination storyline is fantastic. By this point, he was much looser, but it really worked. His self-inked stuff looks incredibly dynamic against the wooden stuff where others inked him.

I was scrolling through and couldn't believe how far down I got before somebody actually posted his 50s DC stuff. Leave it to AS to put something so monumental!

?

I posted Showcase 23 and 24 before that, both books coming out almost exactly the same months as those 2 MIS (although the later MIS was a 1960's book)

Sorry Bill! Missed those! No slight intended there. Those are definitely classic Kane!(although my personal preference still goes toward his self-inked western or mystery/sci-fi stuff more than nearly anything that anybody else inked. . .even if it WAS Murphy Anderson who almost certainly inked those MIS covers. Not sure who the inker was on Showcase 23 and 24 except that I'm fairly positive they're not self-inked.)