• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CGC's new signature series

22 posts in this topic

Yes, but the biggest request is for a Signature authentication and labelling process that allows books signed outside of CGC's watch to be validated as well: Dynamic Forces signed books, mail in signature requests, and other non-convention type signing venues.

Solution: Send Harshen and Scott back to school to learn how to authenticate signatures. I hear they don't have too much to do around there wink.gif

Anyway, I realize the impossibility of this request. In addition, those collectors that don't resell signed books and get the sigs themselves don't really benefit from the CGC Sig Series: To them getting an autograph is all about building your own personal memory to share with posterity. Aside from preserving the book better than a mylar could and wanting to know the condition of the book, they would have no reason submit it to CGC since they know the signature is authentic because they got it signed themselves. Who knows as time passes their attitude may change depending on life situation and having a reason or need to sell. I believe CGC Sig series books because I believe in its liquidity. I have several books signed from conventions and it's tough to convince people sometimes that the sigs are real.

To those who think that any writing in or on a book is a flaw, the CGC Sig Series is not applicable.

My two cents..

Just wondering....

When someone signs a book, doesn't it damage it in some way? Call it color touch or whatnot. There may even be an indentation on the cover where the pen or sharpie was used, doesn't something like that go against the grade of a book?

Now move ahead to CGC's Signature Series. There are scads of 9.8s, 9.6s, etc., etc.... Aren't the signatures or the effect of having a signature put onto the cover, taken into account when assigning a grade to the books? Wouldn't it, or shouldn't it lower the grade that CGC gives it? Could you go so far as to call the grades given by CGC as "apparent", as it seems they are ignoring the signatures?

I've recently bought a couple of SS books and this has been going through my mind for a while.

What do you all think? (shrug)

Thanks,

Andy

Just wondering....

When someone signs a book, doesn't it damage it in some way? Call it color touch or whatnot. There may even be an indentation on the cover where the pen or sharpie was used, doesn't something like that go against the grade of a book?

Now move ahead to CGC's Signature Series. There are scads of 9.8s, 9.6s, etc., etc.... Aren't the signatures or the effect of having a signature put onto the cover, taken into account when assigning a grade to the books? Wouldn't it, or shouldn't it lower the grade that CGC gives it? Could you go so far as to call the grades given by CGC as "apparent", as it seems they are ignoring the signatures?

I've recently bought a couple of SS books and this has been going through my mind for a while.

What do you all think? (shrug)

Thanks,

Andy

The yellow label acts in the same way as the green/qualified label. The signature is ignored when grading.

If the cover was significantly impacted by the signing, I assume CGC would downgrade for the indents...still ignoring the ink of the signature itself. :)

Why don't you just ask Andy why he bumped an eight year old thread?

Good point. I should really pay more attention.

I was just exploring Arch's first posts and this was the earliest comic-related one I could find. Was curious about the SS, so I thought I could bump it and ask my questions.

Andy (thumbs u

I was just exploring Arch's first posts and this was the earliest comic-related one I could find. Was curious about the SS, so I thought I could bump it and ask my questions.

Andy (thumbs u

:screwy:

Good point. I should really pay more attention.

Don't bother. This way you fit right in. (thumbs u

Looks like this was one of the first official board threads in Comics General.