• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Who has the better villains and heroes: Marvel or DC?

Better villains  

339 members have voted

1. 1. Better villains

46 posts in this topic

DC villains, Marvel Superheroes

I am biased to DC (Batman, JLA, WW, etc...) but I think Peter is right on the money here

Agreed, Peter has it right (thumbs u .

Great thread you started here, Johnny. There's nothing better than a good DC vs Marvel discussion (thumbs u

But you're all wrong... It's DC for both. And I think your poll's broken or something ;)

lol

I'd say it's what the writers do with the characters that makes one better than the other.

There are definitely great, good as well as mediocre characters in each publishers roster.

I tend to like Marvel better and what they've done with the characters, especially the supporting cast beyond the major members of The FF, X-Men, Avengers and Spider-Man. With DC, they've been better at capturing the more adult market with their Dark Knight, Watchmen and Vertigo titles like Sandman and Fables, where Marvel's "Max" line never really took off.

Beyond Marvel and DC there's distant contenders. I think Dark Horse is #3, and Image (too many creator own pressings 'tho, so a lot of great properties as well as mediocre)

I liked the simple writing style of the Marvel Age of comics pioneered by Stan Lee. However, the DC titles in the 1960's-70's were entertaining 'tho light and almost humorously cheesy.

I'm not a fan of Valiant, nor Aspen, or most of the other indie super heroes (not counting non-hero character titles).

I know I am super late to the discussion, but here's my two cents:

I've always been biased towards Marvel. Those are the books I started with and I think that's the reason I prefer them. The DC heroes just never sparked my interest, with the cliche exception of the Batman. There are so many Marvel characters that I've always loved to read: Moon Knight, Ghost Rider, Wolverine, Spidey, Hulk, Deadpool, so on and so forth.

I did, however, vote for the villains of DC for the sole purpose of voting for the Joker. He's one of the greatest villains ever conceived in a popular culture medium. He's a perfect foil for his nemesis, and can be translated a thousand different homicidal ways. I've never had my socks blown off by a Marvel villain, although there are some great ones (Dr. Doom, Carnage are a few that come to mind).

All of this is of course my opinion, and I don't mean to disparage anyone's first love in comics. There are good and bad qualities on both sides, I think.

I don't understand why everyone thinks the Joker is so great. He's always going on about Batman's boners. Other than that he is no menace whatsoever.

He belongs in Schlachthof neun.