• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Who has the better villains and heroes: Marvel or DC?

Better villains  

339 members have voted

1. 1. Better villains

46 posts in this topic

Granny "for" Goodness "sake" :sick::eek: Not JKs greatest creation there. I'm calling VETO on that one just for the sake of my DC brethren's pride.
(tsk) That's because "you don't know Granny the way we do". :insane:

Seen em both...Own the Smallville DVDs in fact it's one of my passwords as my fav all time show at work :grin: Let's face it...Granny was the weakest creepiest link in both live action and animation ;)

Tough question to answer without bias.

I think the DC villains are fantastic - though Batman really owns a massive chunk of them. Seems to me Marvel may have a higher number of recognizable villains to select from, while DC has more with real story and depth. If you look at stories like Long Halloween and Hush, they essentially introduce a different top tier villain every issue (sometimes more than one) and there is no shortage of quality or relatively well known back story on any of them.

Antimonitor

Darkseid

Lex Luthor

Brainiac

Doomsday

General Zod

Mr Freeze

Penguin

Riddler

Catwoman

Harley Quinn

Joker

Scarecrow

Poison Ivy

Two Face

Bane

Ra's & Talia al Ghul

Vandal Savage

Amanda Waller (Suicide Squad)

Black Adam

Reverse Flash

Flash Rogues (Captain Cold)

Deathstroke

Sinestro

All top tier (many used in movies or TV at some point)

Granny "for" Goodness "sake" :sick::eek: Not JKs greatest creation there. I'm calling VETO on that one just for the sake of my DC brethren's pride.

That's a great fight scene from Apocalypse (thumbs u

The absurdity of Granny's character is what makes it work so well. I always wondered where the inspiration came from.

Her voice is a bit deep and croaky at times in that animated clip. Makes you wonder if there wasn't some gender reassignment in the past? Grandad Goodness?

That's a great fight scene from Apocalypse (thumbs u

The absurdity of Granny's character is what makes it work so well. I always wondered where the inspiration came from.

Her voice is a bit deep and croaky at times in that animated clip. Makes you wonder if there wasn't some gender reassignment in the past? Grandad Goodness?

I was thinking the same thing. :grin:

It's hard for me to choose between the two. As far as villains go, DC has some great ones that others have already listed. Add Bizzaro and Soloman Grundy to the list.

But DC outnumbers Marvel for their amount of silly villains so I would probably choose Marvel over DC.

As far as heroes are concerned I really have to flip a coin. I chose Marvel in the poll just because of the variety of looks they have whereas most of DC's heroes are the generic spandex wearing heroes, Marvel has been more creative in the designs of their characters and their outfits.

But overall there is much to like about both publishers. The focus of my collecting is always going back and forth from Marvel to DC depending on what I had for breakfast that morning.

It's hard for me to choose between the two. As far as villains go, DC has some great ones that others have already listed. Add Bizzaro and Soloman Grundy to the list.

But DC outnumbers Marvel for their amount of silly villains so I would probably choose Marvel over DC.

As far as heroes are concerned I really have to flip a coin. I chose Marvel in the poll just because of the variety of looks they have whereas most of DC's heroes are the generic spandex wearing heroes, Marvel has been more creative in the designs of their characters and their outfits.

But overall there is much to like about both publishers. The focus of my collecting is always going back and forth from Marvel to DC depending on what I had for breakfast that morning.

I'm in the same boat with the heroes. I really do go back and forth a lot. I try to keep my collection diversified between the two.

That aspect is probably a thread unto itself. something that's currently underestimated. Plus readership is all over the map today.

But a consistent "look & feel" works as both worldbuilding and branding. I know as a kid we could spot a Curt Swan DC cover from across the store. Superman, LSH, whatever. Instantly recognizable. They got our money while Marvel looked somewhat alien (except for Daredevil).

Standing at the spinner rack it was 'Heroes and a world of tomorrow' vs Marvels freaks and monsters.

I think the DC villains are fantastic - though Batman really owns a massive chunk of them. Seems to me Marvel may have a higher number of recognizable villains to select from, while DC has more with real story and depth. If you look at stories like Long Halloween and Hush, they essentially introduce a different top tier villain every issue (sometimes more than one) and there is no shortage of quality or relatively well known back story on any of them.

Antimonitor

Darkseid

Lex Luthor

Brainiac

Doomsday

General Zod

Mr Freeze

Penguin

Riddler

Catwoman

Harley Quinn

Joker

Scarecrow

Poison Ivy

Two Face

Bane

Ra's & Talia al Ghul

Vandal Savage

Black Adam

Reverse Flash

Deathstroke

Sinestro

Just because they have been used in tv or movies, doesn't make them good. I would remove the above guys as top tier. Bane I guess might be but sort of a one trick pony.

Antimonitor

Darkseid

Lex Luthor

Brainiac

Doomsday

General Zod

Mr Freeze

Penguin

Riddler

Catwoman

Harley Quinn

Joker

Scarecrow

Poison Ivy

Two Face

Bane

Ra's & Talia al Ghul

Vandal Savage

Black Adam

Reverse Flash

Deathstroke

Sinestro

Just because they have been used in tv or movies, doesn't make them good. I would remove the above guys as top tier. Bane I guess might be but sort of a one trick pony.

Mr Freeze, Penguin, Riddler & Scarecrow are top tier in my book (thumbs u Three of them have been around since the Golden Age and all are well established in Batman's Rogues Gallery.

Bane on the other hand... Not a fan meh

Antimonitor

Darkseid

Lex Luthor

Brainiac

Doomsday

General Zod

Mr Freeze

Penguin

Riddler

Catwoman

Harley Quinn

Joker

Scarecrow

Poison Ivy

Two Face

Bane

Ra's & Talia al Ghul

Vandal Savage

Black Adam

Reverse Flash

Deathstroke

Sinestro

Mr Freeze, Penguin, Riddler & Scarecrow are top tier in my book (thumbs u Three of them have been around since the Golden Age and all are well established in Batman's Rogues Gallery.

Bane on the other hand... Not a fan meh

Bane & Doomsday were both one-shots to me. I see the debate as basically the Batman villains plus maybe Luthor & Reverse Flash versus the Marvel Universe of villains. I like both DC & Marvel but have been always more of a Marvel fan. Batman has always been the main DC hero that showed the depth of Marvel characters to me so it makes sense he's got the best stable of DC enemies.

If it was about picking a single villain then I'd probably go with DC since Joker is thoroughly a villain with no redeeming qualities. Many times though I think DC villains are more criminals with super powers that help them make money while Marvel villains are more those who enjoy using their abilities to destroy or cause chaos, with money being secondary to the trouble they create. That's what makes a better villain for me.

Composite Superman would wipe out Every single marvel character without breaking a sweat. Hell Element Lad alone would just turn everyone into Helium.

DC villains, Marvel Superheroes

I am biased to DC (Batman, JLA, WW, etc...) but I think Peter is right on the money here

Agreed, Peter has it right (thumbs u .

Great thread you started here, Johnny. There's nothing better than a good DC vs Marvel discussion (thumbs u

But you're all wrong... It's DC for both. And I think your poll's broken or something ;)