• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Already Sold through pm!

63 posts in this topic

There are a lot of things I have purchased through PM and not advertised it in the thread. There are things that I have sold through PM so long as the buyer's money is green.

I would like to believe that I have developed a reputation that if something is sold through PM and another person inquires about it that my word is good in that it has already sold.

Some people seem to feel the need to know who bought it, how much they paid and how much they sold it for.

I generally do not want my purchases made public but if a seller wants me to post a "I'll take it" I will.

I was actually PM'd by a mod on another site for taking an offer on something via PM. The site's culture and rules apparently dictated (at the time) that all sales should name the price sold for as a service to the "community".

I do not sell there much anymore.

A response that is becoming more common in the sales threads

to "I'll Take it" posts in threads...

Is it just me or should there be a standard rule throughout the boards where "I'll take it's"

in the thread over ride any deal any where else???

This is getting beyond frustrating!

:frustrated::frustrated::frustrated:

IMO, no. Many buyers wish to remain anonymous, and purchase via PM.

I personally like to be anonymous in my purchases here, and the sellers I frequent usually give me first dibs before their sales thread. :shy:

Let me be frank, most know what I like to collect. A few know what I'm looking for.

I've sold to some folks who've been here a long time who only buy via PM... and I don't see any reason why they shouldn't be able to do that.

Key is simply that the seller clearly lays out his/her terms and that they are adhered to. Beyond that? Not much else to discuss. We've all lost books to people scooping them up via PM, or to people posting in the thread while we were negotiating in PM... just part of the process.

So long as it is made clear up front that the first unconditional 'take it' posted either in the thread or in a pm wins a comic, this strikes me as being the most reasonable and accommodating sales policy possible. And no, I will not post any of the private messages, since that would mean they'd no longer be private.

This right here. (thumbs u

just as much as you trust a seller to ship a book when you send him payment, you're going to have to trust that when he says a book old via PM, it did.

PM's aren't private if you have to share them openly.

Yet on the flip side of the argument, if you're a seller and something sells privately, update the thread ASAP to avoid confusion.

Some people seem to feel the need to know who bought it, how much they paid and how much they sold it for.

I generally do not want my purchases made public but if a seller wants me to post a "I'll take it" I will.

Sometimes, when a seller tells me I have to :takeit: in the thread, I politely say "no".

So long as it is made clear up front that the first unconditional 'take it' posted either in the thread or in a pm wins a comic, this strikes me as being the most reasonable and accommodating sales policy possible. And no, I will not post any of the private messages, since that would mean they'd no longer be private.

This right here. (thumbs u

I agree with this as well & it's a very reasonable rule

A response that is becoming more common in the sales threads

to "I'll Take it" posts in threads...

Is it just me or should there be a standard rule throughout the boards where "I'll take it's"

in the thread over ride any deal any where else???

This is getting beyond frustrating!

:frustrated::frustrated::frustrated:

Hey Wally banana029.gif

fubanana.gif

I think the seller should be obligated to show the pm if a take it in the thread is overruled. Put it in the rules. This way seller doesn't look like any funny business has occurred and the pm buyer knows that it might be made public if necessary. My 2c

1. if a buyer wants to be private, and it's within the rules (ie seller says PM :takeit: are acceptable) then posting the PM is not kosher.

2. Posting a sanitized PM is easy to fake, so it doesnt solve the problem:

K4PAAjG.png

The seller should, after accepting a PM deal, go to their sales thread and MARK IT AS SOLD VIA PM.

That would eliminate a lot of hard feelings and frustrations.

I don't see why this is so hard. It is likely a problem due to timing - someone buys via PM and the seller doesn't update the thread before another :takeit: is posted...which is why having clear rules also is very important:

• :takeit: wins and beats any PM discussions

-or-
  • first timestamp :takeit: by PM or in thread wins

In this case you will have to trust the seller so they don't have to out buyers who want to maintain their discretion - but then at least the rules are clear and you have "proof" if challenged by another boardie.

Just put it this way a dealer can sell any way he wants, but it supa-sucks when

you post an "I'll take it" and the seller tells you hours later that the book was already sold!

I mean, what a waste of :censored: time!

:tonofbricks:

It's a comic book. Most of them can be had elsewhere. Relax, have a beer. Life's to short to have a conniption over a comic book

I think the seller should be obligated to show the pm if a take it in the thread is overruled.

I disagree.

Funny business? :D Who cares? You say you want to buy the book, and the seller tells you...sorry, it already sold before I could update the thread. Get over it...it's just a comic book. You didn't have it yesterday, and you don't have it today...move on.

You want to say...'prove it...prove you already sold that book'? No thanks to that kind of culture. 2c

To avoid disappointment, don't assume a book is yours until the seller confirms that it's yours. Simple as that.

:cloud9::applause:

Agree with everyone on the side of 'anonymous' buys via PM.

I have made many purchases over the years here. Sometimes I've posted :takeit: in the sales thread. More often than not, though, I buy it via PM.

I've had sellers ask me to post :takeit: in the thread and I've politely declined. Seller has never had an issue with that.

What I buy and for how much is really nobodies business but mine and the seller. To make it a rule that you must post in the thread and/or reveal the PM would significantly affect my buying here.

At the end of the day, it's just books. 99.9% of the time, you'll be able to find another if you miss something.

Yet on the flip side of the argument, if you're a seller and something sells privately, update the thread ASAP to avoid confusion.

that's part of my frustration right there...

Time periods.

I've seen buyers lose to pm literally 2 minutes of the book being posted.

I've also seen buyers get told the books was pm sold a full 4 hours after the I'll take it was placed in a thread.

:tonofbricks: