• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Sweet 16, Round 8: Amazing Spider-man #252 vs Iron Fist #14

Amazing Spider-man #252 vs Iron Fist #14  

165 members have voted

1. 1. Amazing Spider-man #252 vs Iron Fist #14

48 posts in this topic

Who's on First, What's on second, I don't know's on third...

Heeeeey Abbbottttt!!!!

tongue.gif

sorry I just had to ge that out...

me being a Spidey diehard, it is just embarrasing to be in the dark...

thanks for a clueing me in.

sorry.gif

To me it doesn't matter anyhow...

I have serveral copies of each!

But now I know, and knowing is half the battle

thumbsup2.gif

but I do recall that the SW maxiseries was delayed, and should've been out several months earlier - it was the first "event" series, after all, and was probably originally timed for the Summer to maximize sales.

The Secret Wars crossover was designed so that the heroes went into the device in Central Park in the issues of their titles that shipped the few weeks before the publication of Marvel Super-Heroes Secret Wars #1. Basically they enter the device and the Secret Wars begin.

BUT since the regular titles couldn't be stopped during the year it would take to publish the mini-series, it was decided that the heroes would return to their titles the following month (before MSHSW #2 was published) and they would be CHANGED from the experience.

So Spidey shows up with a new costume that seemingly responds to his thoughts, the Thing has been replaced by She-Hulk in the FF, Iron Man has new armor, the Hulk had a busted leg, etc. ALL specifically designed to make the reader curious about the HOW these changes happened.

Where did Spider-Man get his new costume and why? Read SW and find out.

How did the Hulk break his leg? Read SW and find out.

Why is She-Hulk a member of the FF? Read SW and find out.

And so on...

Despite the delay Marvel insisted that the Secret Wars appearance was first in terms of continuity, even though the new costume was old news by the time SW8 arrived. Overstreet doesn't bother with continuity and simply concentrates on which issue was published first, so for them ASM 252 IS the first appearance.

Except that they bungle the listing. frustrated.gif

but I do recall that the SW maxiseries was delayed, and should've been out several months earlier - it was the first "event" series, after all, and was probably originally timed for the Summer to maximize sales.

The Secret Wars crossover was designed so that the heroes went into the device in Central Park in the issues of their titles that shipped the few weeks before the publication of Marvel Super-Heroes Secret Wars #1. Basically they enter the device and the Secret Wars begin.

BUT since the regular titles couldn't be stopped during the year it would take to publish the mini-series, it was decided that the heroes would return to their titles the following month (before MSHSW #2 was published) and they would be CHANGED from the experience.

So Spidey shows up with a new costume that seemingly responds to his thoughts, the Thing has been replaced by She-Hulk in the FF, Iron Man has new armor, the Hulk had a busted leg, etc. ALL specifically designed to make the reader curious about the HOW these changes happened.

Where did Spider-Man get his new costume and why? Read SW and find out.

How did the Hulk break his leg? Read SW and find out.

Why is She-Hulk a member of the FF? Read SW and find out.

And so on...

Thanks for the recap - I hadn't planned on rereading the series, although considering its' importance I suppose I should.

Ah yes, the Percs, my ortho surgeon gave me 4 refills of 30 when I had knee surgery in 96(ACL reconstruction). I did not get addicted by any means, but I can see how some could, good ole pharmecuticals(sp). It's the only reason I'm even looking slightly forward to having my wisdon teeth cut out(mine are impacted).

I have both AMS #252 and SW8 #8 cgc graded and sitting before me. SW #8 notes says, "12/84 Origin and first apperiance alien symbiote that eventually becomes venom". AMS #252 says, "5/84 First apperance of the black costume". Now I can see why many people are so confused. The whole freaking industry is baffled by which comic book is the first apperance. lol. But AMS #252 was the earlier date and noted in the postings above.

Why IF #14 is even considered a key is beyond me. We have the first apperance of Sabertooth, a FREAKING B RATED toon competiting with a spider-man story plot develoment and one of the most popular, over-rated and over saturated characters of the 90's? WTF are you IF #14 smoking cause it must be high grade [#@$%!!!]. I don't seem to recall anyone giving a [#@$%!!!] about Sabertooth even in his heyday other then to say, "IF #14 is a key because the LCS guy told me so in order to pimp this gd+ graded copy to me for my entire weekly allowance".