• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What is the most memorable Christmas gift you received as a child?

109 posts in this topic

I remember that. My brother got that and I got this:

biglou_zps4db0b445.jpg

Good god, what is THAT?!? I love it.

His name is Big Loo. He came out for a couple of months at Christmas in 1962. He had a ton of functions and is about 3 feet tall. One of the toys I had as a kid that I had to back and replace as an adult.

I remember that. My brother got that and I got this:

biglou_zps4db0b445.jpg

Good god, what is THAT?!? I love it.

Big Loo by Marx. There was Garloo before him.

The big Christmas toys for boys in 1962 were Mr Machine, King Zor, and Robot Commando. For girls, I only remember Chatty Cathy.

Here is Great Garloo

greatgarloo_zpsodezm1w5.jpg

During 1st grade, one of my special Ed teachers gave me a coloring book with crayons.

Came from poor family who didn't give a rat's about Christmas so I never got anything. This blew me away.

I'm sorry to hear that brother.

We all have our bridges to cross, but it's the bright spots like your teacher that makes the difference.

I'm glad to see you rise above!

(thumbs u

I'm curious if anyone actually still has the item they received as a kid.

I have a TON of the items, but not the actual gift I got as a kid.

Patrick

I still have my first Spiderman bike, my Knight Rider pedal car, numerous action figures and of course my Nintendo with Super Tecmo Bowl! lol

Man,ive been searching the wild for Tecmo Bowl for years...sigh,such memories of that game,playing with my uncle ,Dad,friends...hop on a plane with the cartridge....beer and pizza/wings on me man!(also a fcbd rocket raccoon for you)

I was a G.I. Joe fanatic when I was a kid. Hell, I still am!!

I remember one year getting both the Headquarters and the Skystriker jet the same year.

1_zpsmqwko3sq.jpg

2_zpsean4iwby.jpg

Then another Christmas, all I wanted was a specific G.I. Joe figure. Zartan!!! I new the exact size of the box he came in, so the 1st thing I did was look for a box that shape. He was the 1st gift I opened. I was ecstatic. :acclaim:

3_zpsyxb2szvz.jpg

Last gift my grandparents gave me before my grandpa passed. I still have it. There was a Lego train I also wanted and I received that from for my birthday after he has passed.

7306B4FA-6B33-4CBA-B322-477AA8FCBEAA.jpg

That really tugged my heartstrings Buzz...just last night I was looking at the first comic my Umpa(gramps) ever got me at a yard sale.Gold Key Boris Karloff with the supercool red radioactive T-rex on the cover.Jayman knows what im on about...

I was a G.I. Joe fanatic when I was a kid. Hell, I still am!!

I remember one year getting both the Headquarters and the Skystriker jet the same year.

1_zpsmqwko3sq.jpg

2_zpsean4iwby.jpg

Then another Christmas, all I wanted was a specific G.I. Joe figure. Zartan!!! I new the exact size of the box he came in, so the 1st thing I did was look for a box that shape. He was the 1st gift I opened. I was ecstatic. :acclaim:

3_zpsyxb2szvz.jpg

Nothing for me could compare to putting Zartan in the freezer for the first time! Talk about COOL!!!

Jay

Great thread here guys. I never threw out my comics or toys so I still have them all.

When transformers were super hot/ rare that one Christmas, I remember telling my mom I wanted jet fire. Of all the ones that were out at the time, that was the most expensive and the hardest to find. God bless, she drove aroun all over until she found it and it was a shock to get it, since she was pretty good at hiding things until xmas day.

Other toys of note I received were shogun warriors Rodan, and 4 shogun warriors comics. I read those comics hundreds of times and would never trade them in for anything. A CGC 9.9 wouldn't have the same place in my heart,

One family we were friends with had this extended family. They were all very well off. One kid was known for shooting cats with his pellet gun and making explosives. He was about 15 and we were over at the Christmas gathering. He kept telling us all how he was sure he was getting a handgun for christmas. He kept hovering over his present-a cylindrical looking package.

When it came time to open he excitedly tore off the wrapping to reveal some children's building blocks. Yep his hippie mom had got him building blocks-ages 3 to 7.

He got up and left and wasn't seen the rest of the day.

My sister and I received an NES for Christmas in 1987; that's the only one that sticks out in my mind. I was 6.

This is the modern version of it but I got a hockey game when I was 10 or so and I played that game to death. The key was a fast pass behind the net (my version allowed it) to get the goalie out of position and - SCORE!

Hockey_zpsgtd49l9v.jpg