• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

For you old-time collector's, how did you store your comics?

51 posts in this topic

Was wondering for any old timer's who were purchasing in the 50's, 60's or early 70's, how did you store your comic books back then before comic boxes and bags became available? Did you put them in drawers, chests, maybe just some paper bags, or possibly Edgar Church style and stack them from the floor to the ceiling in your closet?

I hollowed out an oak tree in the back yard and put them there each morning as I began my 2 mile -- uphill the entire way -- walk to school.

And then I checked on them again on my way home at the end of my 2 mile -- uphill the entire way -- walk home from school.

In addition to THAT answer...

I kept them stored on adjustable wall shelves in my bedroom, stacked by title. Those shelves got pretty weighed down before I learned about these new-fangled magical boxes designed specifically to hold comic books!

This was the early 70's.. but I'm guessing that still counts as "old" to the OP!

a collector I know ( he is 92! ) put his comics into "pick-it" bags that he got when he worked in his father's hardware store when he was younger. The bags were large and plastic and were a perfect fit for golden age comics.

My guestimate is that they were like 2 mil poly plastic.

He also put the comics into apple boxes laid flat and they stayed in those for decades until he was able to buy comic boxes.

The condition of his books are amazing.

Some of the books are still in those "pick-it" poly bags, he was working on transitioning his books from them to comic bags and boards but he didn't finish last I heard. Half and half.

Was wondering for any old timer's who were purchasing in the 50's, 60's or early 70's, how did you store your comic books back then before comic boxes and bags became available?

The same way I keep my readers today. :preach:

Readers_zpsf8edc023.jpg

Was wondering for any old timer's who were purchasing in the 50's, 60's or early 70's, how did you store your comic books back then before comic boxes and bags became available?

The same way I keep my readers today. :preach:

Readers_zpsf8edc023.jpg

(thumbs u

That's the way I did it too. Stacked on wooden shelves in my closet. No bags or order. Had a few hundred SA books till my mom pitched them.

But...she didn't get 'em all. The stuff she didn't like (MAD Magazine and about 40 original ECs that my uncle gave me) were stored in a wooden box up in the tree house. When my parents sold our house, I climbed up there and they were still there safe and sound. Still have them.

I put them in Glad kitchen bags and stored them on a bookshelf. Every 50 comics or so, I'd put an Encyclopedia to keep the m from warping. By the time I had finished a five shelf bookcase, I decided to sell my collection.

Beer crates, baby!

Not those wussy things from recent years but those heavy duty cardboard monsters that your Great Uncle Gus used to get his Black Label and Strohs long necks in.

Solid, a good 3/8 inch thick with those mondo flaps with the vee shaped edges that clomped down into the center of the box. STURDY! SOLID! STACKABLE! And they fit two stacks of about 80 comics each.

Been quite a while since I bought a Beer Crate Collection.

One word of warning: If somebody put a few wet empties away to tote them back to the liquor store for the two cent deposit, there could be a sticky residue in the bottom. A few sheets of newspaper takes care of that nicely.

Yep, I was that guy in the grocery store who'd take 10 extra clear plastic fruit/veggie bags with me out the door. Then I'd put my comics in them, one per bag.

The comics were far too small, so I'd fold the bag and tape it so it would fit the comic book perfectly.

One act of love for each book I owned.

It took, like, forever!

Yes, the bags I bought were oversized and required several pieces of tape. About once a month, I would spend the better part of an evening bagging and taping my months worth of books- about eighty a month unless the month had five Tuesdays, or a National holiday.