• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Does anybody know ebay user igb.corp

92 posts in this topic

This Batman and their other books should have the decimal point moved and two extra zeros added in front of the grade .0096

These books should NOT have been graded in the first place. Thanks much CBCS (thumbs u

This Batman and their other books should have the decimal point moved and two extra zeros added in front of the grade .0096

These books should NOT have been graded in the first place. Thanks much CBCS (thumbs u

+100 why .... This is bad in a lot of ways... CBCS grading recreations is a joke. I feel bad for guys who have restored books this could hurt future value, I hope cgc sticks to their guns . I can't believe these books are selling for thousands.

+100 why .... This is bad in a lot of ways... CBCS is a joke. I feel bad for guys who have restored books this could hurt future value, I hope cgc sticks to their guns . I can't believe these books are selling for thousands.

Paul, this isn't directed specifically at you or anyone else, but as this thread has progressed, the comments have devolved into subjective biases. Of course, that's what makes these threads fun, doesn't it? lol

While I'm neither predisposed to praise nor criticism, a fairer view is that neither grading company is a "joke" as long as they openly disclose the kind of restoration work done. If memory serves, even the CGC has been criticized for some of their positions on grading books. Occasionally those criticisms were fair, other times, less so, but neither the sky nor the markets have fallen as a result.

Let's try to keep in mind that the folks doing the grading, regardless of which company they represent, are prone to human fallibilities as are any of us. Secondly, some of those folks associated with the other company being discussed are members in good standing on these boards. They have feelings, just like the folks grading for CGC. Everyone works hard to deliver a product that satisfies their customers.

Finally, both companies produce grading notes even though there are slightly differing policies for access. In either case, there doesn't appear to be any attempt to deceive and since the grading notes are available interested parties have little room to complain (if you're contemplating spending five figures on any book, there's a pretty good chance you'll check out it's history thoroughly before bidding and/or buying). Caveat emptor.

Whether the CGC sticks to their guns or pulls the trigger on evolving in a competitive manner is certainly open to speculation (there are things they do that I think are right on target, and other's that miss the mark). In the end, I tend to trust the markets. My 2c (probably over inflated, as everything seems to be these days)

+100 why .... This is bad in a lot of ways... CBCS is a joke. I feel bad for guys who have restored books this could hurt future value, I hope cgc sticks to their guns . I can't believe these books are selling for thousands.

Paul, this isn't directed specifically at you or anyone else, but as this thread has progressed, the comments have devolved into subjective biases. Of course, that's what makes these threads fun, doesn't it? lol

While I'm neither predisposed to praise nor criticism, a fairer view is that neither grading company is a "joke" as long as they openly disclose the kind of restoration work done. If memory serves, even the CGC has been criticized for some of their positions on grading books. Occasionally those criticisms were fair, other times, less so, but neither the sky nor the markets have fallen as a result.

Let's try to keep in mind that the folks doing the grading, regardless of which company they represent, are prone to human fallibilities as are any of us. Secondly, some of those folks associated with the other company being discussed are members in good standing on these boards. They have feelings, just like the folks grading for CGC. Everyone works hard to deliver a product that satisfies their customers.

Finally, both companies produce grading notes even though there are slightly differing policies for access. In either case, there doesn't appear to be any attempt to deceive and since the grading notes are available interested parties have little room to complain (if you're contemplating spending five figures on any book, there's a pretty good chance you'll check out it's history thoroughly before bidding and/or buying). Caveat emptor.

Whether the CGC sticks to their guns or pulls the trigger on evolving in a competitive manner is certainly open to speculation (there are things they do that I think are right on target, and other's that miss the mark). In the end, I tend to trust the markets. My 2c (probably over inflated, as everything seems to be these days)

Fair enough. I will be more specific. Grading these Frankenstein's in regular labels is a JOKE. Please go check out Yelp there are a lot of people with feelings that run great businesses they get hammered on the regular.

That being said I do get your point , I mean is anybody else mad that this is happening? The books are totally fabricated.

They made the back cover of the Comic Connect catalog, so they are clearly going mainstream...

I don't think so, Bill - the NY boys are one of the driving forces behind these igb Frankenbooks so naturally they're going to push the product.

They made the back cover of the Comic Connect catalog, so they are clearly going mainstream...

I don't think so, Bill - the NY boys are one of the driving forces behind these igb Frankenbooks so naturally they're going to push the product.

Going to have to agree here.

From the Hulk 1 description:

This copy of the Incredible Hulk's debut is immaculate. New life has been expertly breathed into this masterpiece of restoration. Generations to come will cherish this snapshot from 1962, possibly even more perfect than the day it was printed. It has the most supple, white pages, with bright, vibrant inks, and sharp crisp corners. The cover is a purely smooth, flat surface. Presentation this nice beckons to all who seek perfection. Indulge your collecting-monster and bid aggressively for this key. This is another must-see-to-be-believed comic book.

:eyeroll:

This copy of the Incredible Hulk's debut is immaculate. New life has been expertly breathed into this masterpiece of restoration. Generations to come will cherish this snapshot from 1962, possibly even more perfect than the day it was printed. It has the most supple, white pages, with bright, vibrant inks, and sharp crisp corners. The cover is a purely smooth, flat surface. Presentation this nice beckons to all who seek perfection. Indulge your collecting-monster and bid aggressively for this key. This is another must-see-to-be-believed comic book.

Holy mackerel! lol

Holy mackerel! lol

No kidding - what a load of .

I can imagine these hucksters doing one of those aggressive informercials at 2am. :facepalm:

Clicked on your link up above which then led me to the following 2 books:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/FLASH-COMICS-1-ASHCAN-EDITION-CGC-9-6-1939/120652990756?_trksid=p2047675.c100623.m-1&_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIC.MBE%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D38804%26meid%3D962e861d9dc74ceca7c88762aaa4c14b%26pid%3D100623%26rk%3D4%26rkt%3D6%26sd%3D131926139405

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Nickel-Comics-1-Ashcan-Fawcett-1940-CGC-NM-9-6-WP/110617239772?_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851&_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIC.MBE%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D38804%26meid%3D73c692daa3474128bf34f9901566df05%26pid%3D100005%26rk%3D2%26rkt%3D6%26sd%3D120652990756

Now all of a sudden, the Detective 27 for only a measly $395K looks like a bargain basement price when compared to the $7 mill which I would have to fork over for the above 2 books on eBay. :screwy:

Thank God there's free shipping for all 3 books or I would have dismissed them a long time ago, although it looks like $2 mill will only get you free Expedited shipping while $5 mill will get you free Express shipping. Life presents such difficult choices sometimes.....which way should I go now. hmlol

Fair enough. I will be more specific. Grading these Frankenstein's in regular labels is a JOKE. Please go check out Yelp there are a lot of people with feelings that run great businesses they get hammered on the regular.

That being said I do get your point , I mean is anybody else mad that this is happening? The books are totally fabricated.

Regular labels? The label prominently says "RESTORED"!

IGB is basically doing restoration for profit. There is no "restoration/conservation" being performed in order to preserve the book.

Make the book look as great as possible and split the profits with the owner/seller.

I do things for profit from time to time as well. Is that a bad thing?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/FLASH-COMICS-1-ASHCAN-EDITION-CGC-9-6-1939/120652990756?_trksid=p2047675.c100623.m-1&_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIC.MBE%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D38804%26meid%3D962e861d9dc74ceca7c88762aaa4c14b%26pid%3D100623%26rk%3D4%26rkt%3D6%26sd%3D131926139405

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Nickel-Comics-1-Ashcan-Fawcett-1940-CGC-NM-9-6-WP/110617239772?_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851&_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIC.MBE%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D38804%26meid%3D73c692daa3474128bf34f9901566df05%26pid%3D100005%26rk%3D2%26rkt%3D6%26sd%3D120652990756

Now all of a sudden, the Detective 27 for only a measly $395K looks like a bargain basement price when compared to the $7 mill which I would have to fork over for the above 2 books on eBay. :screwy:

Thank God there's free shipping for all 3 books or I would have dismissed them a long time ago, although it looks like $2 mill will only get you free Expedited shipping while $5 mill will get you free Express shipping. Life presents such difficult choices sometimes.....which way should I go now. hmlol

I find it interesting that dude's feedback reflects a staggering one sale of $100 or more, and yet he has three ashcans with a total asking price of $9 mil. Something doesn't quite add up imho.

I find it interesting that dude's feedback reflects a staggering one sale of $100 or more, and yet he has three ashcans with a total asking price of $9 mil. Something doesn't quite add up imho.

Consignments I guess