• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Swamp Thing #1 splash

156 posts in this topic

jeezuswept... if they didn't teach you how to draw in art school, trying to talk you through it on an internet board is a giant waste of time. So, good luck with that.

I have done hundreds of pages with literally thousands of facial shadow studies. I'm not just some dude who pops off with no knowledge. Single and multiple light sources. All angles, ages, sexes. If you want to dismiss me because I hurt your feelings go ahead. One thing I know is facial shadows.

5217jd.jpg

Very nice. Try doing a couple with two lamps in the room.

Wearing a Swamp Thing Mask.....in the rain.

lol

Eric I think I am starting to see your point. Moonlight above causing eye socket shadow (due to how far brow comes out), large shadow on left of face, and under neck.

Some secondary light source to the left (and less high) - electric lights/house? Or ambient?

Causing the illumination of the left side of the face.

Warm?

Dang the guy here who has done the actual most facial shadow drawing is getting the least listened to. The guy who just says he's an art teacher-he's the expert.

Sigh

So Eric, you're an art teacher are you?

of sorts, and historian, and professional (Illustration and design) but mostly in a past life. Now I largely works with corporations, government agencies and the museums here in DC. As far as the art thing, I get to enjoy it a bit more from the outside.

Anyway, not here to measure or teach online classes. Just making some comments and suggestions.

Off to spend time with the Mrs. Have fun kiddos.

Those that teach-don't do

let's see some face shadows you've done

For a guy not here to measure spoons you sure did a lot of it.

of sorts, and historian, and professional (Illustration and design) but mostly in a past life. Now I largely works with corporations, government agencies and the museums here in DC. As far as the art thing, I get to enjoy it a bit more from the outside.

Anyway, not here to measure or teach online classes. Just making some comments and suggestions.

Kav don't be silly. Drawing facial studies doesn't make you right, or wrong

Kav don't be silly. Drawing facial studies doesn't make you right, or wrong

If someone was working on a clutch and a guy who worked on 1000 clutches had advice then another guy walked up and just said he's a clutch teacher but could show no clutches he had worked on-who would you listen to?

If I have spent a LOT of time drawing facial shadows doesn't that give my input some street cred? No? Just the guy who has shown nothing that says he's an art teacher no wait was an art teacher no wait he stayed at the Holiday Inn-he's the expert?

Sorry this is just exasperating.

Bronty, you are on the right track, but there are many variables at play here, including Wrightson's propensity for drama and over exaggerated ( but controlled) contrast. But lest one forget, this was for a color comic. He could have very well brought in a ton more black ink and totally ended up with a sea of black on the page, but why? Better to leave room for the colorist to do their thing. So some of the area Kav would want to see solid black, Wrightson's left open in the black and white drawing to allow for shade and color to carry that burden, and not be so overwhelming.

Personally I'd love to see what a restrained modern colorist like Dave Stewart would do with it, because I daresay those suggested second source lights would make a whole lot more sense to the layman. As it is... Gah getting sucked in.

Sorry kids. Can't do this right now.

@kav

You guys both need to cool off :P

I'm just saying. My kid can ride a bike but she's not giving advice on the Tour de France. I don't know what level either of you are at. A stack of paper doesn't make you right. Having students doesn't necessarily make him right.

You're saying your studies make you right (sorry that's not enough) and he's saying you're an insufficiently_thoughtful_person (sorry eric that's not enough either lol ).

It would be nice if it just could be discussed but I guess that's not happening.

So far I thought the most interesting comment was scott williams because there's a professional artist in the industry. I took his comments as something along the lines of its not technically perfect but it works (but that's my interpretation).

Bronty, you are on the right track, but there are many variables at play here, including Wrightson's propensity for drama and over exaggerated ( but controlled) contrast. But lest one forget, this was for a color comic. He could have very well brought in a ton more black ink and totally ended up with a sea of black on the page, but why? Better to leave room for the colorist to do their thing. So some of the area Kav would want to see solid black, Wrightson's left open in the black and white drawing to allow for shade and color to carry that burden, and not be so overwhelming.

Personally I'd love to see what a restrained modern colorist like Dave Stewart would do with it, because I daresay those suggested second source lights would make a whole lot more sense to the layman. As it is... Gah getting sucked in.

Sorry kids. Can't do this right now.

well thanks for those thoughts, anyways

It's not technically perfect but that does not matter-it does the exact job he wanted it to. Me pointing out the issue with the light source is just an observation. Based on years of study and hard work. If someone says i'm wrong-show me the work you've put in that would led credibility to that analysis.

It's not technically perfect but that does not matter-it does the exact job he wanted it to. Me pointing out the issue with the light source is just an observation. Based on years of study and hard work. If someone says i'm wrong-show me the work you've put in that would led credibility to that analysis.

You're like the pro athlete on TV that tells their fellow broadcasters that never played in the NFL, NHL, NBA (take your pick) that they can't have an opinion on something because they weren't there.

One can have an opinion without being there. And kav, while you're very talented - much more so than me - in fairness you played college not NFL.

And he's got to play this song while he does it... :banana:

:headbang:

"SHOW ME YOUR FAAAAAAAAACE!!!!"

Agreed. Sorry Kav, but that's just ignorant of how lighting works in the real world.

That's a beauty of a splash, irregardless of what someone paid for it. Wrightson really flexing his artistic muscles at this point.

If you can set up lights such that a photo shows the left eye socket completely shrouded in shadow meanwhile the left cheek is lit meanwhile the right cheek is draped in shadow yet the right eye socket is lit-I will eat my hat.

One of the first lessons in art school was DEFINE YOUR LIGHT SOURCE.

We live in a world where the most expensive panel piece ever was drawn by Herb Trimpe (Herb f-in Trimpe!).

When has artistic merit ever factored into discussions of comic OA? If it did, we would never have had pages and pages of arguments from people arguing that some Gil Kane Spiderman cover was superior to a Neal Adams Green Lantern cover.

And he's got to play this song while he does it... :banana:

"SHOW ME YOUR FAAAAAAAAACE!!!!"

I must be getting old. Turned that off after 5 seconds because it was making my head hurt.