• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Tarzan 2016 trailer HD

99 posts in this topic

TIME Review: The Legend of Tarzan Is Revisionist, Anachronistic, Weird and Beautiful

Sections of this film are so imaginative, and so lovely, that they deserve our open-heartedness, not our scorn

Conceptually, at least, David Yates’ The Legend of Tarzan, starring Alexander Skarsgård as the fantastically brawny lord of the jungle, just can’t win. It’s adapted from a series of boys’ adventure books written in the early 1900s, when racial and social awareness wasn’t anything close to what it is today, and “colonialism” wasn’t yet a word that was always preceded by “the evils of.” The world is better off, now that we’ve learned—or at least are learning—to think and talk about these things.

Skarsgård’s Tarzan, with his muscles and Fabio-style tresses, is designed to look unreal, and he does some very unreal things. He’s the epitome of the strong, silent type, and Skarsgård plays this angle perfectly, partly as a sly joke and partly as a way of getting us to watch and listen. In one of the movie’s most striking scenes, he and Williams cross a ridge to see a pride of lions before them. Scary, right? But Clayton—or, rather, Tarzan—approaches them boldly, and suddenly it becomes clear that he knows them from his former life: He greets them with the nuzzling face-rub familiar to anyone who has housecats, and they return his solemn affection.

And what about Robbie’s Jane, the daughter of an American schoolteacher, a woman who seems very much at home surrounded by the wonders of the jungle? In flashback, we see how she and Tarzan meet, when he saves her from certain death at the hands of an angry ape. But mostly, she saves herself: Jane is frequently endangered in The Legend of Tarzan, but as Robbie plays her, she’s so hardy that you don’t worry about her for a second. If need be, she can even outswim angry hippos.

You can see why Tarzan falls for her. At their initial meeting—she’s the first human woman he’s ever seen, a vision in a fluttery white cotton dress, like something out of dreamy Victorian erotica—he sniffs at her, confounded. Her scent is like nothing he’s ever encountered. She’s entranced by him too, though she also keeps him from going too far. Her no means no, and he gets that. Eventually, they’ll have amazing, beautiful jungle sex, as well as a partnership in which they’re balanced equals, but that comes later. The Legend of Tarzan is true to its roots, but it also knows it’s stepping into dangerous territory: The present. Sometimes, it’s a snakepit.

LOS ANGELES TIMES - Alexander Skarsgard is excellent in the otherwise awkward ‘The Legend of Tarzan’

Like its titular character, trying to reconcile being both the fifth Earl of Greystoke and the once and future King of the Jungle, “The Legend of Tarzan” wants to be both modern and traditional, hip and classic. It’s a tough balance to strike, and this film can’t manage it.

Which is too bad, because actor Alexander Skarsgard, the latest iteration of the Edgar Rice Burroughs character filmed dozens of times since Elmo Lincoln donned the loincloth in 1918, turns out to be an exemplary Tarzan.

One of the most noteworthy aspects of “The Legend of Tarzan” is that though it is chock-a-block with jungle animals, all of whom seem to know Tarzan personally, they are exclusively created via CGI effects. Some of these moments are quite effective, but quitting while it’s ahead is not something that’s in this film’s vocabulary.

The Legend of Tarzan.” Though Alexander Skarsgard is excellent in the title role, the rest of the film tries too hard to modernize itself, with unhappy results.

:eek:

And looks like weak box office, too.

Took in just over $14 million on Friday, vs. The Purge: Election Year's $14.4 million.

The Purge: Election Year had 1/18th of Tarzan's budget.

(also notable: the pundits are saying Finding Dory will still win the weekend despite it's 3rd-place showing yesterday).

Either way, pushes Independence Day down to 5th in its second and namesake weekend (after Finding Dory, The Purge, Tarzan & The BFG).

Yup!

It's sounding like Tarzan is not the bomb that was predicted by some.

'Tarzan', 'BFG' and 'Purge 3' Will be No Match for 'Finding Dory'

Universal's The Purge: Election Year scored an estimated $14.47 million on Friday and is now looking at a three-day weekend around $33 million and a four-day that could finish right around $37 million. This puts it on par with the opening three-day total for the first Purge, not to overlook the fact the "B+" CinemaScore is an improvement over the "C" the first film received and the "B" the second film received.

Looking to finish second behind Dory is WB's The Legend of Tarzan, which brought in an impressive $14 million on Friday and is now looking at a four-day weekend that could come in as high as $45 million.

Both Tarzan and The BFG scored "A-" CinemaScores.

At least audiences are giving it an 'A-' so far.

And looks like weak box office, too.

Took in just over $14 million on Friday, vs. The Purge: Election Year's $14.4 million.

The Purge: Election Year had 1/18th of Tarzan's budget.

(also notable: the pundits are saying Finding Dory will still win the weekend despite it's 3rd-place showing yesterday).

Either way, pushes Independence Day down to 5th in its second and namesake weekend (after Finding Dory, The Purge, Tarzan & The BFG).

$180MM production budget and will be fortunate to crack $100MM domestic. BFG also looks like a misfire from Disney; $140MM budget and will barely do 1/2 that # in US. Disney can afford a flop after: Zootopia, Jungle Book, Cap & Dory.

I'm looking forward to it........ in fact, I just watched John Carter again to warm up for it..... love me some ERB...... :cloud9: GOD BLESS....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

Alexander Skarsgard Ate 7,000 Calories A Day To Prepare For Tarzan

With an all-star cast, a talented director, and a $180 million production budget, Warner Bros. was hoping The Legend of Tarzan would set off some fireworks during this Independence Day box office weekend. Its $38.1M three-day total was good enough for second-place and came in higher than the low $30 million it was projected to do. How well (or poorly) the film performs going forward will largely hinge on how audiences respond to Alexander Skarsgard's performance in the title role.

In order to get his body in tip-top shape to play the muscle-bound King of the Jungle, the 39-year-old actor began an intense diet and exercise program three months before filming. He consumed 7,000 calories a day, which is three times his usual intake, and lifted heavy weights.

Mr Porter reports: "Once he got to the green screens of Warner Bros’ Studios in Leavesden, just outside London, for eight weeks of preparation followed by four months of filming, he embarked on a very strict sugar-, gluten-, wheat-, dairy- and alcohol-free diet of six smaller meals per day alongside his twice-daily training sessions in order to chisel his eight-pack."

I'm looking forward to it........ in fact, I just watched John Carter again to warm up for it..... love me some ERB...... :cloud9: GOD BLESS....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

Loved John Carter and looking forward to seeing Tarzan

I saw it, and was pleasantly surprised...I'm a big Tarzan fan, but the previews showed a bunch of scenery we've all seen before in other movies. The plot was pretty good, fun, and kept me and the wife interested...I would recommend going to see it.

Went today. 3-D, xD(extended digital). 12 people in theater, :cloud9:

:gossip:Thought it worked well, and hope for more.

Really? I saw Rotten Tomatoes rated this movie 1 1/2 stars. Do you agree with this rating?

NO! I put no merit in critics. I choose what I see, and what I like, not others.

I've heard that it's no masterpiece, but you get a fun Tarzan movie out of it, enough of what you're looking for to enjoy it.

Went today. 3-D, xD(extended digital). 12 people in theater, :cloud9:

:gossip:Thought it worked well, and hope for more.

Really? I saw Rotten Tomatoes rated this movie 1 1/2 stars. Do you agree with this rating?

NO! I put no merit in critics. I choose what I see, and what I like, not others.

:applause:

I do want to see this movie as a fan of the Tarzan overall franchise. Just to experience what the modern portrayal has to offer.