• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Heavy Metal

15 posts in this topic

Just curious if there was any interest in Heavy Metal mags anymore.

I checked ebay, didn't really see many listed or recently ended.

I was digging through some boxes in the closet and ran across a bunch of them ranging from 1977-1994.

Not sure if I should hange on to them or try to unload them.

Unfortunately it is going to take some time to get those moving. The thing is, Heavy Metal was so Widely distributed, and many of them started to get put in Comic shops more. Meaning that more survived, then the standard Comic Magazines from 1966-1976 eras. I say keep em. I have not seen any sign of them picking up really.

They were great reads and had cool art, I say read through a few of them for nostalgia, and then decide what you want to do with them brother.

-bounty

Yeah.

I do remember how cool they are to read.

My biggest problem is I only have 'x' amount of space to store my comics. Trying to make room for all the Savage Sword I have been picking up lately.

hm is a great magazine, but they don't move so well in the market. Your best bet to get rid of them is to sell them all as a lot with a low opening bid, but don't expect too much $$$ ....

Yep and offer them with Media Mail shipping. Might add a few more $$ to your bottom line if buyers know that they arent paying priority rates for some Heavy Metals. Great books though as said.

-bounty

Thanks guys.

If I do decide to sell them it will be in lots of 8.

I already figured that much. They don't have enough value on their own to justify the shipping costs on just 1 book. And the whole lot together would probably turn off people who already have some of them.

Mabe I'll look through them all again and see which I like the least and test the market with those and see how it goes.

Yep, weird how nobody cares about there, but there are a lot out there. It's still getting published as well. Back in the late 70's/early 80's this was pretty standard reading material for non-preppy pot smoking metal listening teenage boys, although I probably don't need to tell you that.

If I had the space, I'd age them another 10 years. Why they didn't keep on coming out with Heavy Metal movies every few years is beyond me. John Candy, Eugene Levy... couldn't be all that bad.

One problem with buying them randomly though is that the stories are spread out over several issues and it would drive me nuts not being able to read the whole thing.

Yeah, I remember that. I didn't get them very often when I was young.

First they were kind of expensive for my budget back then, second, the newstand I bought my stuff at wouldn't always sell them to me. Depended on who was working the counter.

So I always missed out on the beginings or endings of some of the stories.

Those were the next best thing to Playboy when you were a 13 year old male. laugh.gif

Yeah, I remember that. I didn't get them very often when I was young.

First they were kind of expensive for my budget back then, second, the newstand I bought my stuff at wouldn't always sell them to me. Depended on who was working the counter.

So I always missed out on the beginings or endings of some of the stories.

Those were the next best thing to Playboy when you were a 13 year old male. laugh.gif

You grew up in the wrong part of Ohio - when I was 13, the local drug store in Worthington would sell me Penthouse and Playboy ( and I looked 13, trust me ) - of course they were behind the counter, with those fake wood cover hiders, but cigarettes were behind the counter as well, and they sold those to minors too. Also the local head shop chain sold papers, bongs and underground comics to teenagers as well. I'm not saying these were good things, and maybe it was just the 70s, but I was certainly happy to be able to buy this stuff back then.

As for Heavy Metal - I liked it alot better back when it still carried alot of more interesting and varied European comics, and not just the soft-core sci-fi/fantasy [#@$%!!!] it does today.

As for Heavy Metal - I liked it alot better back when it still carried alot of more interesting and varied European comics, and not just the soft-core sci-fi/fantasy [#@$%!!!] it does today.

I agree who could forget Liberatore's Ranxerox! headbang.gif

750579-ranx-1.jpg

750579-ranx-1.jpg.92ab02736386fb4af87b125c25fd3987.jpg

I'm sure I wouldn't have had a problem in the 70's.

My problem was I wasn't into them until 1980 (when I was 13)

That, and in our small town there is only 1 newstand.

I don't understand why Ranxerox didn't get made into a comic series or a movie. (Or did they make a movie?)

Although he was pretty scarey. Remember the one where they used the high pitch frequency to turn the brains of everyone in the dance club into pudding? But old Ranxerox was immune (or had plugs in his ears or something).

I don't understand why Ranxerox didn't get made into a comic series or a movie. (Or did they make a movie?)

Movie info

Although he was pretty scarey. Remember the one where they used the high pitch frequency to turn the brains of everyone in the dance club into pudding? But old Ranxerox was immune (or had plugs in his ears or something).

I always imagined that ol' Ranx was the original inspiration for "The Terminator"!

I also remember hearing that Ranx's original name was to be the two word "Ran Xerox", but the Xerox corp. didn't like the association and was going to sue. Never found out if this was true or not.

Well, they did better than I thought they would.

Around $1.50-2.00 a book.

Sold in lots of 8.

Not great money I know. But better than the $0.50 a book I started them at.