• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

JIM 97 no way this was drawn by Kirby

20 posts in this topic

This was obviously Heck-I don't think Kirby even did the breakdowns-the panels have none of his trademark poses/backgrounds/camera angles etc. It's credited to Kirby with Heck inks but-no way. Has this been discussed re: value of the OA?

thx Glen

Yeah Kirby was utterly overwhelmed by Heck-a dirty shame.

Even Coletta couldn't destroy Kirby but Heck sure could.

The funny part about Vince inks, when he took his time his light feathery inking style actually looks great...but the guy just rushed through things so quickly he ruined material consistently. He worked so fast he just up and erased details from backgrounds it seems and just did shapes or blank areas.

That's what I'd say as well. As an example, how about the Kirby Gods portfolio which was inked by Heck:

2011-09-08_174311.jpg

2011-09-08_174319.jpg

It's Kirby pencils and Heck inks. If you want to see what Heck pencils and inks on Thor look like, turn a couple pages ahead to JIM 98-100. Those are even worse.

Gold is a Heck Hater? :o

That's what I'd say as well. As an example, how about the Kirby Gods portfolio which was inked by Heck:

2011-09-08_174311.jpg

2011-09-08_174319.jpg

Just to be a nitpicky nerd, the last image (the cover) was inked by Mike Royer. The point re: Heck's lovely inking stands of course!

Just to be a nitpicker, I know it was Royer; the bottom image contains both the cover and a plate. I pulled it from the Kirby Museum website and just quickly wanted to post without downloading, editing and then uploading the image to my Photobucket.

Gold is a Heck Hater? :o

No, his work generally leaves me indifferent, not irate. There's some Iron Man and Avengers work that I accept the existence of without wanting to question the moral nature of the universe. The exception is those stories where Stan told him to "do Kirby." I think JIM 98-100 are examples of that.

And when he's on Jack, it usually looks awkward. He inked a pretty good-looking Cap story, but the Thor, Giant-Man and Iron Man stuff makes me cringe. It's weird how good the Gods plates look, because that sketchy Bob Peake-ish line is nowhere to be found.