• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Steve Borock Interview On STL Comics

116 posts in this topic

news.gif

Ladies and gents, STL Comics proudly presents the hardest hitting, questions yo momma was afraid to ask, controversial interview of all time,

Find out Steve's thoughts on PGX, SCS and yes, even Hammer

Without further delay

Steve Borock Interview

stevebookcheck.jpg

On behalf of all the staff at Stl Comics we would like to extend our many thanks to Steve for taking the time out of his busy day to conduct the interview 893applaud-thumb.gif

Now Steve, no more excuses, get back at it so we can get them turnaround times under 365 days thumbsup2.gifwink.gifpoke2.gif

And kudos to Erik Garmany for another great job well done takeit.gif

And while everyone is at it don't forget to check out the other great aspects of STL like grading contest

STL Comics Grading Contest with prizes to the winner.

and the many other interviews that Erik Garmany (Iron Maniac), has done from George Pantela of GP Analysis to Daniel Patterson of PGX

Hope to see you there.

I was just about to post the interview actually, you guys always beat me to it!

I just wanted to thank Steve yet again for taking time out of his incredibly busy schedule to do this and for answering all of my questions. You rock Steve! thumbsup2.gif

Excellent interview. I DO disagree with one thing though. In regards to the PLOD, the Mighty ESS BEE says "Also, people are saying it's the different color label. Let's say for just a nanosecond that's true, which it is not. Let's also say CGC puts the restored comic book in a blue label with the words CGC RESTORED GRADE on top of the label and the word APPARENT above the grade number. I truly do not believe that putting those things on the label would not still be a "scarlet letter" for collectors and dealers."

I think I have been saying that more often than anyone, so Steve? What? You calling me out? 893naughty-thumb.gif27_laughing.gif

But seriously, Steve, you said something that really rubs my rhubarb! To wit: "...people are saying it's the different color label. Let's say for just a nanosecond that's true, which it is not." Well, my first reaction is to ask "How can you possibly know this is not true? Yes, CGC may well have been talking to collectors and dealers to get a feel for the hobby (something I commend) but if you have never issued an Apparant blue label, how do you really know WHAT the reaction would be?

Next, if it is, as you say, true that the Purple Label is not the issue where you say "I truly do not believe that putting those things on the label would not still be a "scarlet letter" for collectors and dealers." well, I have to ask, how do you KNOW this? I honestly feel label color IS a factor.

Consider the four label colors: Blue (Universal), Green (Qualified), Restored (Purple) and Yello (Sig Series).

Now consider the composition of these colors. The Universal grade is Blue. A primary color. The Green Qualified is a variant - blue plus yellow. The Purple is a variant - blue plus red. The Yellow Sig Series is unrelated - a primary Yellow. And this only other primary color (Yellow Sig) is one of the two Primary Colors that do not indicate a defect of some kind.

(You with me here? There's MORE!) grin.gif

Consider the Green Qualified vs Purple Restored. Qualified books do not have the "stigma" of restored books. They are not damned the way restored are. But what comprises the Green Qualified? Two colors used in the only two fully accepted labels - Blue and Yellow (or Universal and Sig Series).

The Purple Resto? It is Universal Blue plus Red. That purple is a combination of the Universal Blue and a freaking Stop Light!

Think of this, now. The subliminal message is clear! Stop On Purple!

Oh yeah! Are we EVER gonna see that shot Donna snapped of me bribing you with large bucks for my BA grades??????

[Hammer asks:

There was a period in time, of about 10 months, when I was filling the CPG Forums with hundreds of before and after images of Heritage Permanent Auction archives images. These images clearly showed books that were re-submitted to CGC and received higher grades AFTER they had been visibly altered. I just want to know how he felt about seeing the concise evidence of this in HUNDREDS of examples that I presented on the CPG Forums. 7.5s pressed and cleaned into 9.2s, a 4.5 pressed and cleaned into an 8.5, and in many cases, grade jumps of 1.0 and more without any discernable alteration at all.

SB: I will answer ANY question this guy has if he ever shows up in person with his NY drivers ID at a show or at the CGC offices (when he is back in jail, the offer is off the table). Listen, unlike this guy, I show up at cons and CGC forum dinners and answer ALL questions. "Hammer/Meth/Dupcek/Koos/Comic-Keys" loves the internet. He is allowed to sit behind a computer, sell restored comic books as unrestored, give false and bad advice to newcomers, and spills hate filled rhetoric all over chat boards. Nice, huh? Good way to keep the hobby healthy. I do not believe STL should encourage this guy like you do.]

I don't know about anyone else, but I would be interested in Hammer's question being answered by CGC. I really could care less about who asked it or the personal reasons that led him to do so (or the obvious personal reasons that led Steve to ignore it). It is a legitimate question and I would think those of us who like CGC (and Steve) are entitled to an answer. It is a question that address consistency and CGC policies, both of which at times seem too fluid for my tastes. popcorn.gif

Otherwise (and except for the omission of stating whether disclosure of pressing should be the policy of dealers/sellers), nice publicity Steve. hi.gif

[Hammer asks:

There was a period in time, of about 10 months, when I was filling the CPG Forums with hundreds of before and after images of Heritage Permanent Auction archives images. These images clearly showed books that were re-submitted to CGC and received higher grades AFTER they had been visibly altered. I just want to know how he felt about seeing the concise evidence of this in HUNDREDS of examples that I presented on the CPG Forums. 7.5s pressed and cleaned into 9.2s, a 4.5 pressed and cleaned into an 8.5, and in many cases, grade jumps of 1.0 and more without any discernable alteration at all.

SB: I will answer ANY question this guy has if he ever shows up in person with his NY drivers ID at a show or at the CGC offices (when he is back in jail, the offer is off the table). Listen, unlike this guy, I show up at cons and CGC forum dinners and answer ALL questions. "Hammer/Meth/Dupcek/Koos/Comic-Keys" loves the internet. He is allowed to sit behind a computer, sell restored comic books as unrestored, give false and bad advice to newcomers, and spills hate filled rhetoric all over chat boards. Nice, huh? Good way to keep the hobby healthy. I do not believe STL should encourage this guy like you do.]

I don't know about anyone else, but I would be interested in Hammer's question being answered by CGC. I really could care less about who asked it or the personal reasons that led him to do so (or the obvious personal reasons that led Steve to ignore it). It is a legitimate question and I would think those of us who like CGC (and Steve) are entitled to an answer. It is a question that address consistency and CGC policies, both of which at times seem too fluid for my tastes. popcorn.gif

Otherwise (and except for the omission of stating whether disclosure of pressing should be the policy of dealers/sellers), nice publicity Steve. hi.gif

What more is there to say.

Steve has already said CGC does not consider NDP as restoration.

[Hammer asks:

What more is there to say.

Steve has already said CGC does not consider NDP as restoration.

There is a lot more to say because this question went far beyond the issue of pressing.

cgcgraders.jpg

C'mon folks, if you put a pic of the gang in the article--at least tell us who is who? Who can name everyone here?

No way is Hammer gonna roll up on that gang.

cgcgraders.jpg

C'mon folks, if you put a pic of the gang in the article--at least tell us who is who? Who can name everyone here?

Hello, all. Glad you are enjoying the interview!

When Steve supplied us with the pic, he didn't tell us who everyone was. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

They ought be able to come in here and point themselves out though, eh? hi.gif

cgcgraders.jpg

Hello, all. Glad you are enjoying the interview!

When Steve supplied us with the pic, he didn't tell us who everyone was. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

They ought be able to come in here and point themselves out though, eh? hi.gif

I'm sure Scott knows. 27_laughing.gif just messin wit ya wink.gif

Oh - on the pressing issue: Steve says Taking a bend or fold that does not break color out of a comic book is not a bad thing. It is not like you are adding glue and/or color touch, using something artificial, to bring paper closer back to LOOK like it's original state. You ARE bringing it back closer to its original state.

...and to this I have to seriously disagree. No primary colors in this reply!

You MAY be bringing it back closer to its original state or you may be just making it LOOK closer to its orginal state. Most of us are familiar with those non-color breaking but really harsh dings that can occur on a comic. The paper fibres are genuinely impacted. But the ink does not break. It happens and it happens a lot.

Pressing these out does NOT bring the paper back closer to its original state. The fibers are damaged. Pedriod. Pressing thewm may make them LOOK more like original but the fibers are still damaged.

One cardinal rule about pressing - if fibers are damaged all the pressing in the world will not "heal" them. The book may LOOK just fine but that pressed area with fiber damage is still going to be a weak point in the book.

I confess to being genuienly saddened at this one. frown.gif

Sorry Steve - you shoot straight and I can only shoot straight in return.

Hope some truly pro restorers can also offer their perspective on the impact of pressing to broken fibers that do not break ink.