• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

STAR WARS : The Force Awakens SPOILER Discussion

1,010 posts in this topic

Finally saw it today.

I thought it was fun. Not brilliant, but whatever.

I didn't read this whole thread, but did anyone else find it kind of funny they blow up the senate? No more boring motions, speeches, and calls to order!

See it a 2nd time. It goes from a fun movie to brilliant trust me. (thumbs u

1st line of the movie, "This will start to make things right."

The people on that planet had the same attire as the people in the prequels.

JJ's way of slapping the prequels.

Finally saw it today.

I didn't read this whole thread, but did anyone else find it kind of funny they blow up the senate? No more boring motions, speeches, and calls to order!

Ah, OK. I have to admit, I probably didn't hear the first line because I was like, "Hey, that's Max von Sydow!"

There was also a quick line about clone troopers I missed. Anyone remember that?

And are there any rumors about Lando showing up in later films?

Finally saw it today.

Ah, OK. I have to admit, I probably didn't hear the first line because I was like, "Hey, that's Max von Sydow!"

There was also a quick line about clone troopers I missed. Anyone remember that?

And are there any rumors about Lando showing up in later films?

Just typical rumors you'd expect to occur on the net, nothing official, though Billy D has been in the new canon playing Lando on Rebels.

If I were predicting, I'd say Rian Johnson has a role for Lando in Episode 8.

Hollywood has no idea how much energy is in a star. The amount shown absorbed by the death planet was beyond inconceivable.

Based on what exactly? Your knowledge of how much solar energy a fictional death planet long, long ago in a galaxy far, far way is supposed to be able to absorb? Please enlighten us based on your obvious knowledge of fictional death planets sucking the energy out of stars how wrong they got it.

Based on thermodynamics. There is a limit to how much energy a black body can absorb. You cannot fit the energy released from a nuclear bomb into a cup of water, for instance.

you're talking about a movie in which light sabers exist. even more narrowed down, you're talking about a fictional movie about a fictional death planet. I'm sure fictional death planets can absorb more energy than we think they can.

also kav you're applying the limits we've hit up against in our understanding of thermodynamic, and our limits in energy storing... We have no idea the innerworkings of HOW the starkiller base absorbs energy from the star, stores it and then releases it.

Right I get that but the scene of the death planet sucking star mass showed it sucking enough plasma to destroy like 1000 planets. Just to be dramatic they showed this huge solar prominence being absorbed that was completely unnecessary. It's like when Hollywood shows sparks leaping from bullets shots. Bullets do not spark like this. Especially when they hit WOOD as happens so often in action films. It's ok to question stuff like this guys-it's only a movie.

I didn't realize that was max von sydow, I just thought - holy spoon, that guy's the spitting image of the alec-guiness-obi-wan! They should have saved him for rogue one - use him to give obiwan a cameo.

There have been quite a few rumors of Lor San Tekka, though obviously not portrayed by Von Sydow, showing up in Rogue One.

Haters gonna hate.

bad movies make one hate

Force Awakens was not a bad movie.

Ok it isn't a bad movie but it isn't great in my opinion and I sure was hoping it would be.

Without reading a book, or some webpage filled with information that wasn't in the movie I felt it lacked a lot of information.

here is what I didn't like:

It is the exact same plot as a New Hope. Same thing, same death star destroyed. it bothers me that Disney would spend 4 billion dollars on a franchise and then millions of dollars making a "new" movie and all they did was rehash the same thing I have already seen.

Perhaps the movie is call the Force Awakens because Rey has already been trained as a Jedi but had her memory blocked and she suddenly knew how to use a lightsaber and how to use the Jedi voice because she had already been trained in these abilities and somehow the force was awakened in her. BUT this was not explained well at all in the movie as it was presented.

Why did Ren kill Han? I have no understanding of that.

With respect to your questions, I guess one could say it was poor writing. I choose to see this movie as Act 1 of 3. All will become clear in Part 8 ( I hope. :eek::wishluck: ).

I have never heard anyone call this movie brilliant until this thread. Was it a brilliant idea to copy the original film? I was so excited when the movie began and then it started feeling like I was rewatching something I had seen multiple times over my life. Then the Starkiller appeared and I was thinking, no, they are going to do something different this time, it would be a joke if they...

well, they did it. The next two movies could be the best Star Wars ever filmed but it won't erase this copy. I guess it was asking too much for a completely original storyline that could blow us away. Before the hater memes come out, I've been a Star Wars fan my whole life.

I think this is fair commentary, but that will always be the problem with franchise films, expecting even a brilliant director to produce something original in a franchise is like expecting a brand new hamburger at McDonalds.

And if by some crazy turn of events some lonely frustrated chef did produce a genuinely new hamburger at McDonalds, the regulars would complain its not the burger they paid for, and the chef would be fired.

Haters gonna hate.

bad movies make one hate

Force Awakens was not a bad movie.

Ok it isn't a bad movie but it isn't great in my opinion and I sure was hoping it would be.

Without reading a book, or some webpage filled with information that wasn't in the movie I felt it lacked a lot of information.

here is what I didn't like:

It is the exact same plot as a New Hope. Same thing, same death star destroyed. it bothers me that Disney would spend 4 billion dollars on a franchise and then millions of dollars making a "new" movie and all they did was rehash the same thing I have already seen.

Perhaps the movie is call the Force Awakens because Rey has already been trained as a Jedi but had her memory blocked and she suddenly knew how to use a lightsaber and how to use the Jedi voice because she had already been trained in these abilities and somehow the force was awakened in her. BUT this was not explained well at all in the movie as it was presented.

Why did Ren kill Han? I have no understanding of that.

it was explained fairly well, but in somewhat hidden tones. they show her whooping two dudes when she first meets Finn, and JJ gave about 5 hints that she was Luke's daughter within the movie. It's purposely done that way. So upon repeated viewings, you'll pick up more and more.

Ren killed Han because he knew he wasn't totally committed to the dark side, and that was his way of pushing himself fully over.

Also, i've personally always enjoyed the fact that many things within star wars always repeat, though in slightly different ways.

I have never heard anyone call this movie brilliant until this thread.

everywhere they are calling this movie brilliant. it has a 93% on RT.

93% of critics liked it. The average score is 8.2/10 from critics. Is anyone who gets an 82% on any test brilliant?

Even with general audiences 90% like it, scoring it an average of 4.4/5 or 88%. So, audiences scored it higher than critics, but still a "B".

A brilliant movie would be scored higher, correct?

I have never heard anyone call this movie brilliant until this thread. Was it a brilliant idea to copy the original film? I was so excited when the movie began and then it started feeling like I was rewatching something I had seen multiple times over my life. Then the Starkiller appeared and I was thinking, no, they are going to do something different this time, it would be a joke if they...

well, they did it. The next two movies could be the best Star Wars ever filmed but it won't erase this copy. I guess it was asking too much for a completely original storyline that could blow us away. Before the hater memes come out, I've been a Star Wars fan my whole life.

I think this is fair commentary, but that will always be the problem with franchise films, expecting even a brilliant director to produce something original in a franchise is like expecting a brand new hamburger at McDonalds.

And if by some crazy turn of events some lonely frustrated chef did produce a genuinely new hamburger at McDonalds, the regulars would complain its not the burger they paid for, and the chef would be fired.

Fans look at the original trilogy with rose coloured glasses, like it's Citizen Kane of sci-fi. I love the early movies but never looked at them as classic well acted/plotted films. They're full of "yeah right" moments and hokey dialogue. I thought the new movie was awesome, comparable to the OT. Why over think it? It's not meant to be a meaningful, thought provoking film.

It doesn't matter to me who likes or dislikes the film, loves or hates it (or anything), but it's a GIGANTIC success both commercially and critically. While metrics don't trump my own personal opinion, nor should it anyone, but when speaking in broad strokes Force Awakens is a success on every level we judge films of it's like. It's not like it's a huge $ hit and panned critically - it's not Transformers.

If it let down anyone they are the minority as we normally apply it to movie releases. There's nothing wrong with being in the minority, and I find myself there a lot, but let's understand that it is a small minority against every metric we use to gauge films of this ilk (by ilk I simply mean awards films tend to be a certain brand lately, barring exceptional circumstances like giving Lord of the Rings all its awards in one year because it's hard to ignore it all 3 years - awards typically don't highlight movies people actually want to see).

I don't think anyone is hater for disliking anything, but if people think the film is really good and loved it, why feel the need to act like they are in the minority? They are objectively most definitely not. In this thread we have examples of people insinuating people are taken in by a trick or fooled, and too dumb to see it. NO, all of us see the similarities, the people who dislike it are not seeing anything we don't, we just loved it anyway. Perhaps, on it;s own merits for us, or perhaps because of or combined with the idea of a new generation got a Star Wars worth the name, unlike the prequels (which, actually have a lot of fans of that generation - I suspect this board skews old, because young people don't typically collect vintage backissues in the U.S.).

I'm sorry, I've just been sensing a hater vibe, but in the opposite direction. Could the film have been more original? Sure, would it have been better for it. Maybe. Maybe not. There are a lot of original movies that come out every year, they are, mostly, boring as and will be featured during award season.

I enjoyed the movie on its own merits, but I challenge anyone who has a young kid, especially a girl, take them to this movie and not completely fall for seeing a new generation of Star Wars being born. Star Wars is for young people, they are trying to sell toys. It's not like comic books that tried to grow with its last generation of success, and why it'd dependent on low audience and high price point to maintain huge margins but no growth.

I'm cool with discussion and criticism, but man, the idea anyone is insinuating they are more clever for disliking what's mostly a kid's film, it's just kind of silly.

If comparing scores/grades people typically get on things like traditional tests to a movie rating system is silly, they aren't really similar excluding we are using a 100 point scale. In any given class, never mind school, school system, or country there will be multiple "A's" and SEVERAL PERFECT scores.

Out of the tens of thousands of movies, how may have a 100% (and a lot of them are grandfathered in old movies or small films that people jock that are basically unwatchable that most people have never eve heard of)? How many actual movies put out to entertain are over 90? We can't get people to agree on much of anything, so that Star Wars came out to such a high score I think is a surprise, and a welcome one and I view it as similar to Avengers, which scores somewhat similarly. As an aside, Age of Ultron is at 78 and this film is WAY better than that one, but I think they do fall into the same categories as recent blockbuster franchise movies. Feels right to me.

One is opinion based, the other typically grades different people on the same absolute questions. The latter is always going to give you better results.

I don't think the movie is brilliant, I have a hard time thinking any movie is brilliant, but arguing that this isn't a well received and successful movie is foolhardy. Yes, it's okay to dislike, even hate it, but that is not the perception or macro reality of this film. It ALREADY won, what's left to be decided or not is whether or not we like the winning team.

Some people do, and I don't see why that bothers people. Let people love. If they think it's brilliant, get off their , how does it effect anyone who doesn't?

It doesn't matter to me who likes or dislikes the film, loves or hates it (or anything), but it's a GIGANTIC success both commercially and critically. While metrics don't trump my own personal opinion, nor should it anyone, but when speaking in broad strokes Force Awakens is a success on every level we judge films of it's like. It's not like it's a huge $ hit and panned critically - it's not Transformers.

If it let down anyone they are the minority as we normally apply it to movie releases. There's nothing wrong with being in the minority, and I find myself there a lot, but let's understand that it is a small minority against every metric we use to gauge films of this ilk (by ilk I simply mean awards films tend to be a certain brand lately, barring exceptional circumstances like giving Lord of the Rings all its awards in one year because it's hard to ignore it all 3 years - awards typically don't highlight movies people actually want to see).

I don't think anyone is hater for disliking anything, but if people think the film is really good and loved it, why feel the need to act like they are in the minority? They are objectively most definitely not. In this thread we have examples of people insinuating people are taken in by a trick or fooled, and too dumb to see it. NO, all of us see the similarities, the people who dislike it are not seeing anything we don't, we just loved it anyway. Perhaps, on it;s own merits for us, or perhaps because of or combined with the idea of a new generation got a Star Wars worth the name, unlike the prequels (which, actually have a lot of fans of that generation - I suspect this board skews old, because young people don't typically collect vintage backissues in the U.S.).

I'm sorry, I've just been sensing a hater vibe, but in the opposite direction. Could the film have been more original? Sure, would it have been better for it. Maybe. Maybe not. There are a lot of original movies that come out every year, they are, mostly, boring as and will be featured during award season.

I enjoyed the movie on its own merits, but I challenge anyone who has a young kid, especially a girl, take them to this movie and not completely fall for seeing a new generation of Star Wars being born. Star Wars is for young people, they are trying to sell toys. It's not like comic books that tried to grow with its last generation of success, and why it'd dependent on low audience and high price point to maintain huge margins but no growth.

I'm cool with discussion and criticism, but man, the idea anyone is insinuating they are more clever for disliking what's mostly a kid's film, it's just kind of silly.

If comparing scores/grades people typically get on things like traditional tests to a movie rating system is silly, they aren't really similar excluding we are using a 100 point scale. In any given class, never mind school, school system, or country there will be multiple "A's" and SEVERAL PERFECT scores.

Out of the tens of thousands of movies, how may have a 100% (and a lot of them are grandfathered in old movies or small films that people jock that are basically unwatchable that most people have never eve heard of)? How many actual movies put out to entertain are over 90? We can't get people to agree on much of anything, so that Star Wars came out to such a high score I think is a surprise, and a welcome one and I view it as similar to Avengers, which scores somewhat similarly. As an aside, Age of Ultron is at 78 and this film is WAY better than that one, but I think they do fall into the same categories as recent blockbuster franchise movies. Feels right to me.

One is opinion based, the other typically grades different people on the same absolute questions. The latter is always going to give you better results.

I don't think the movie is brilliant, I have a hard time thinking any movie is brilliant, but arguing that this isn't a well received and successful movie is foolhardy. Yes, it's okay to dislike, even hate it, but that is not the perception or macro reality of this film. It ALREADY won, what's left to be decided or not is whether or not we like the winning team.

Some people do, and I don't see why that bothers people. Let people love. If they think it's brilliant, get off their , how does it effect anyone who doesn't?

Nice post. I've bolded what I think is the most important thing to remember about the franchise.