• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Water damage or a really bad press job

40 posts in this topic

I like buying these sorts of books, as long as I can get them for under $100.

It would take 4 rounds of humidification and pressing , but that would bring the book up to a nicely presenting VG/FN....it would look like an 8.5 but the interior would of course still have water staining.....but a raw mid grade copy of this book is a $200 + shipping BIN on eBay, all day long.

I vote for bad press job; am I seeing some texture pressed into it?

Good to see you're getting some pointers on how to fix it.

I saw the tutorial. I look at it this way...you are never too old to learn.

It looks like the wrinkled effect of an old bag that left it's imprint, after many years of tight storage in a box, on the book itself. I have seen this effect first hand, though nothing to this degree. Maybe the storage environment was very hot and humid.

hm Book look to me like it was in the hot sun for a day or two sealed in a plastic bag, probably at a Flee Market or Yard Sale and just sweated a Lot. I have seen lots of books that look similar to that. (shrug)

That is very likely true.If that were the case, the condensation would possibly not be severe enough to seep through the covers and leave water staining on the interior.

If that is the deal, and there was miraculously no water staining on the interior, the book ....the book could press out to around an 8.5.

I vote for bad press job; am I seeing some texture pressed into it?

Good to see you're getting some pointers on how to fix it.

I saw the tutorial. I look at it this way...you are never too old to learn.

Haha.....the "tutorial" was not meant for you, Joe.

Everyone on the board, who knows your name, knows that you do not need a tutorial on pressing :)

what did they press it with. the front tire off 69 malibu?

This appears to be a perfect storm of everything that could be done wrong pressing a book. Wonder if it was "Hooked".

Wow, that is crazy. I am looking forward to your updates on it!

This appears to be a perfect storm of everything that could be done wrong pressing a book. Wonder if it was "Hooked".

I can already tell it had a lot, a lot, a lot of moisture in the book and srp was used. Srp wrinkled and wrinkles were pressed into the book. the book might have even been humidified with the srp. You can definately get it back in one shot. If i could, you definately could.

My money is on a bad press job. Too many tell tale signs that go beyond moisture/water damage.

I am trying to get in back to "as good as it gets" in one shot. Will update when done.

B.H. Hooks is back! :grin:

Thank you, the voice of reason. The book got wet. It is most certainly NOT a bad press job.

One would think. But if it got wet the interior pages would also have rippling and you would expect some evidence of water like dull areas or tide lines. This book only had issue with the cover.

The plot thickens hm

Thank you, the voice of reason. The book got wet. It is most certainly NOT a bad press job.

One would think. But if it got wet the interior pages would also have rippling and you would expect some evidence of water like dull areas or tide lines. This book only had issue with the cover.

The plot thickens hm

They over humidified the book and placed boards between the covers? Did they flip the book without the srp/paper? The ripples on the back looks like the book was turned over inside a paper pouch.