• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Can somebody help me understand this wedding present?

243 posts in this topic

If he knows nothing about comics how did he know this was a silver age book?

:boo::roflmao:

research... read the OP :D

As far as the advice to sell now now now... I kinda disagree.

Warlock in next Guardians of the Galaxy movie = current hype

Warlock in his own movie = future hype

Warlock as a successful franchise = permanent hype

could go either way at this point, but that book was a wedding gift. Time will tell the value, it cost you nothing, and keeping it might be worth doing.

my 2p

If he knows nothing about comics how did he know this was a silver age book?

:boo::roflmao:

research... read the OP :D

As far as the advice to sell now now now... I kinda disagree.

Warlock in next Guardians of the Galaxy movie = current hype

Warlock in his own movie = future hype

Warlock as a successful franchise = permanent hype

could go either way at this point, but that book was a wedding gift. Time will tell the value, it cost you nothing, and keeping it might be worth doing.

my 2p

Spider-Man had a big sell-off after the first wave of movie hype. There was a Heritage auction 8-10 years ago that was basically a bloodbath for one guy who bought during the 2000-2002 hype cycle for ASM. Some of those books have still not recovered from their high from 15 years ago.

The recent Heritage auction showed post-hype declines for Avengers keys from 20-80% (Avengers 4 has seen brutal declines.)

Warlock is no Spider-Man. Warlock is no Iron Man. Warlock is no Captain America. Warlock is not going to be the one character to go up and never come down.

(and I love me some Warlock. )

A guy comes on here,and on his first post throws out a 9.8 early F.F..This guy is either fishing,or he's full of sheit.Either way I call BS.

100% :sumo:

"To what end" would somebody do something like this ? To go through the trouble of scanning the book and then posting a long question ? It boggles the mind to consider such a malicious purpose. "To what end" I repeat ?

:o To sell something that he does not have thur PM to someone on the board. And laugh all the way to that dumb guys bank.

You did not just ask that question? You may be his troll. lol.

Oh. I guess my mind doesn't work that way. Plus, I have no interest in the book so I never considered he was trying to fetch a buyer.

If it is a scam, the blurry scan is an interesting touch. It's not the scan from Heritage (which is perfect.) That looks precisely like a scan from a home office scanner.

Make him a 1K offer. Send him cash. You do love you some Warlock. Hahahahahahahahahahahahhahahahaha

As a wedding gift , someones uncle gives them an ultra high grade FF67 twin city pedigree book and says.. "do some research,...sell now or when it explodes, yada yada yada" - to a someone who "doesnt know about comics" ...????

people truly believe anything :facepalm:

which is why we see so many "I see an AF 15 5.0 for 8k on ebay, could this be legit?!?!" threads

If it is a scam, the blurry scan is an interesting touch. It's not the scan from Heritage (which is perfect.) That looks precisely like a scan from a home office scanner.

Make him a 1K offer. Send him cash. You do love you some Warlock. Hahahahahahahahahahahahhahahahaha

(shrug) It's not an interesting detail for a scam? Most scammers just grab the image. A faked flatbed scanner image is more effort than most.

I agree it sounds fishy, but OP isnt trying to sell, and sometimes people do tell the truth and get weird wedding gifts. Stranger things have happened. This would not even make top 100 of some true stories I know about from personal experience, though mine are mostly odd travel and gambling stories. And I would not think anyone would make an offer, he isnt trying to sell anything.

I assumed that the OP was a female. This is an interesting thread. My first thought was that it was genuine. I definitely see the reasoning behind thinking it is a fake. It would take an eccentric uncle to give a niece something she knows nothing about, that is quite valuable, as a wedding present/life lesson.

If this is real, sell it now and get 8k worth of stuff you want.

If this is fake - pretty sweet catfish action, and GFY.

Thank you for the helpful replies. To the other ones, I mean, I'd lambast you for perpetuating the stereotype us muggles conjure up when we think of comic book collectors, but I don't want to start a fight. You guys have information that I don't, and I'd like to acquire it is all. Try being nice.

OK, so it's one character in the book, not 2 like I thought. When I type Adam Warlock instead of just Warlock, I get all sorts of data points. So this character is going to be in the Guardians of the Galaxy movies and fight the purple dude that everybody keeps betraying in all the other Marvel movies? If that's the case (and the sites I went to indicate it hasn't been announced yet and it's all rumor), would the book have more value AFTER he does his movie thing, then? Cause right now, it's just maybe he'll be in movies, yes? Reading some of the sites about Adam Warlock, he seems like kind of a big deal to your hobby.

Somebody said the Twin Cities thing made it more valuable than the other books like it. How much more? And what's the premium, if any, for this one apparently being the nicest copy in all the world? And, should I eventually decide to sell it, who should I give it to to handle the auction? This doesn't seem like something I should just throw on eBay or try to handle myself, because I just don't know enough about it. So no, I'm not trying to sell it to you guys. All I really know is I took it into a local comic book store and the guy offered me $500 for it, but I could tell by the way his hands were shaking and how he was looking at it and avoiding eye contact with me that he was trying to take advantage of me, so I'm not down with doing that.

JGEq1g8.jpg

TQIDoJy.jpg

If that's the case (and the sites I went to indicate it hasn't been announced yet and it's all rumor), would the book have more value AFTER he does his movie thing, then?

Probably not. Usually after the movie comes out, prices go down. There are lots of reasons for this, but the easiest to explain is just that often times, the character's role is disappointing. For example, there was lots of hype about The Mandarin being the bad guy in Iron Man 3, so his first appearance went way up in value; but when the movie came out, almost everyone hated what they had done with the character, and the price of his first appearance tanked.

In some rare cases like Guardians of the Galaxy, the movie is a lot better than expected and prices don't drop as much if the character is a breakout fan hit. I thought the prices for Groot's first appearance were legally insane before the film came out, but turns out I was wrong. That's the exception, not the rule.

Bottom line, most fans and speculators are paying for the hope of the character being awesome and becoming a fan favorite in the movies. Unless Warlock is the next Groot and becomes a mainstream pop culture breakout icon, prices are going to drop some. It will never tank, because Warlock is an important character, but there's very likely going to be a market correction after the movie comes out.

Best case scenario might be that he never actually appears in the movies, but keeps being teased as a possibility, so the hype just goes on and on without ever being proven wrong.

All I really know is I took it into a local comic book store and the guy offered me $500 for it, but I could tell by the way his hands were shaking and how he was looking at it and avoiding eye contact with me that he was trying to take advantage of me, so I'm not down with doing that.

He was trying to rip you off. Never go back there.

This post from earlier in the thread is the relevant one:

This may be helpful in establishing a price

2nm92c.jpg

That price of $8365 is a figure from an actual sale of a 9.8 copy, and one without the Twin Cities pedigree. That's your starting point at the moment. The place that sold this is Heritage Auctions, which does a lot of comic book sales; they have some pretty hefty fees from my understanding, but if you wanted to sell it, they might be a good place to start as they're well known among comic book collectors.

Thank you for the helpful replies. To the other ones, I mean, I'd lambast you for perpetuating the stereotype us muggles conjure up when we think of comic book collectors, but I don't want to start a fight. You guys have information that I don't, and I'd like to acquire it is all. Try being nice.

OK, so it's one character in the book, not 2 like I thought. When I type Adam Warlock instead of just Warlock, I get all sorts of data points. So this character is going to be in the Guardians of the Galaxy movies and fight the purple dude that everybody keeps betraying in all the other Marvel movies? If that's the case (and the sites I went to indicate it hasn't been announced yet and it's all rumor), would the book have more value AFTER he does his movie thing, then? Cause right now, it's just maybe he'll be in movies, yes? Reading some of the sites about Adam Warlock, he seems like kind of a big deal to your hobby.

Somebody said the Twin Cities thing made it more valuable than the other books like it. How much more? And what's the premium, if any, for this one apparently being the nicest copy in all the world? And, should I eventually decide to sell it, who should I give it to to handle the auction? This doesn't seem like something I should just throw on eBay or try to handle myself, because I just don't know enough about it. So no, I'm not trying to sell it to you guys. All I really know is I took it into a local comic book store and the guy offered me $500 for it, but I could tell by the way his hands were shaking and how he was looking at it and avoiding eye contact with me that he was trying to take advantage of me, so I'm not down with doing that.

JGEq1g8.jpg

TQIDoJy.jpg

This so sweet ! Really classy and interesting guy your uncle.

For the record, I believed you from the beginning Megan.

Best of luck with your decision !