• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Happy 75th Birthday Captain! Celebrate with your favorite Captain America pics!

97 posts in this topic

Here's something you've probably never seen, unless you've lived in Rochester, NY. I lived in Rochester for a while. Turns out that Joe Simon is from Rochester. One of the best places in Rochester is the Strong Museum of Play...within it, there's a super hero/comic area. When the Super Hero wing of the museum was opened in 2009, Simon gave them this original painting:

strong31_zpsf6be660f.jpg

strong32_zpsfe445c25.jpg

strong33_zps8d292ff4.jpg

The Mikado story is from Captain America 18. I have a coverless copy but keep it in a Cap Annual cover. It is kind of a super annual since the real one was just in black and white.

Bruce

Thanks Bruce for the information - very much appreciated! A "Super" annual it is! That splash page is great... Thanks again for sharing.

You might have seen some of my favorite Capt America comic pics before…

It would have been cool to buy a Capt America comic off the rack.

North Carolina 1942

newsstand%20cap%2040s_zpsqwpip5ez.jpg

One could have gotten the Cap #1 for $2000 and the Action #1 for $4000 in Feb 1974.

phelps74f_zps2010f2d3.jpg

Dave Armstrong wears a homemade Capt America costume as he reads Cap #2 during a 1960s comic convention.

armstrong%20cap_zps5by8jx4p.jpg

Back in the early 1960s, a kid could afford some key books with his allowance.

This kid was trying to decide between a Cap 1 and a Marvel 1 at a New York comic con. I wonder which book he chose?

ny-stand-marvel1_zps0f6ea4c3.jpg

Joe Simon and his copies of Capt America comics.

joe%20simon001_zpsqucvk2it.jpg

North Carolina 1942

One could have gotten the Cap #1 for $2000 and the Action #1 for $4000 in Feb 1974.

Dave Armstrong wears a homemade Capt America costume as he reads Cap #2 during a 1960s comic convention.

This kid was trying to decide between a Cap 1 and a Marvel 1 at a New York comic con. I wonder which book he chose?

Classic stuff. That picture of Simon is incredible.

North Carolina 1942

Awsome group of photos. Being an "oldster" I remember the era of the kid picking between the Cap #1 and Marvel Mystery #1. In those days there were no bags, boards or comic boxes. Dealers would stack them up in piles under a sheet of clear plastic right on the table. "Lemmie see the All Flashes" and the dealer would hand you the pile. That appears to be quite the wall of Timely's in the background. I'm sure guys like Bedrock, BB and Mitch remember those days as well.

Anybody know the dealer selling the Cap #1 and Action #1? Looks to be quite the dapper dude.