• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

"The Nightmare before Christmas" OR "The Grinch Who ReGraded 7 copies of a Key"

63 posts in this topic

This is the heart wrenching Christmas story of the Grinch* who Graded 7 copies of a Key.

Warning: Please have a box of tissues close by in case you feel the need to shed a tear.

Your humble narrator and professed Board Newb sent in a batch of books for grading (unpressed) and decided to IMMEDIATELY CPR them once the grades came in. Straight to CCS, then back to CGC. (I really only cared about 7 copies of a movie - hyped key which will remain unnamed).

Was obviously hoping for at least one 9.8 White, and thought that just maybe my unpressed 9.6 White would make the bump. Alas, this morning I check online and not only did I not get the 9.8, the page color of the book was downgraded, as were the page colors of 4 other books (out of the 7). Your humble narrator is well aware that grading is subjective, this happens, there are no guarantees, he (your narrator) is not the sharpest tool in the shed, etc. etc., he is merely bummed out that his books were graded by the Grinch* who stole his 9.8 white.

The results:

ORIGINAL GRADE ---------------------- AFTER CPR

9.6 White------------------------------------ 9.6 Off white to white

9.4 White-------------------------------------9.6 Off white to white

9.2 White-------------------------------------9.4 Off white to white

8.5 White-------------------------------------9.0 Off white to White

8.0 Cream to Off White-------------------8.0 Off White to White

7.5 Off White to White--------------------7.5 Off White to White

7.0 Off White--------------------------------7.5 Off White

* Your humble narrator means no offense when referring to the grader as the Grinch. Narrator is using the term solely in the spirit of the upcoming Christmas Holiday.

Not all books are good pressing candidates which might explain why you didn't get the bumps you were hoping for. Identifying good pressing candidates is something to work on going forward! :)

At least none of them went down grade wise!

Not saying the OP is guilty of this but some people send stuff in for pressing without any need for pressing. They do it just because they either don't know what to look for or don't care to look.

Not all books are good pressing candidates which might explain why you didn't get the bumps you were hoping for. Identifying good pressing candidates is something to work on going forward! :)

At least none of them went down grade wise!

Not saying the OP is guilty of this but some people send stuff in for pressing without any need for pressing. They do it just because they either don't know what to look for or don't care to look.

To be honest, I didn't even re-evaluate because they were still at CGC once I received the grades online, BUT based on reading: Cover crease, multiple dents, dent, etc. in the notes, I figured I had a chance and have been dying for a 9.8 of this copy for a long time. Anyway, lesson learned BUT my ears went up when I saw 5 of the 7 books changed Page COLOR!!!!

That just made me think I could have gotten that 9.8 for my "never sell" collection but I just got a particularly overly harsh grader.

That's kind of crazy results especially since CGC graded them before the press and afterwards. I'd understand a page quality change if two different companies graded them but for CGC to downgrade the page quality of a book they just graded seems strange. Just be glad you didn't get any come back restored the second time around.