• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

"The Nightmare before Christmas" OR "The Grinch Who ReGraded 7 copies of a Key"

63 posts in this topic

Just checked prices of graded Shazam 28 :o The bump from 9.4 to 9.6 paid for the whole experiment.

I know. Its ridiculous really.... really ridiculous... but then again the book is ridiculously scarce.

Again, I truly don't want to come off as a whiner, but I can't help but think if the page colors also went down in a matter of a month, maybe, just maybe, i had a particularly harsh grader that day.

It would have been more interesting to know what the graders were CGC=>Voldemart=>CGC without pressing.

Roy, I might of missed it but when did OP say that he sent the books to Voldemort? I saw it as CGC, CPR, CGC.

What year are these from?

isn't going to take columbo to figure out which book this is. 6 of 7 changed page color, that's pretty funny actually

5 out of 7 changed page quality.

4 out of 7 changed numerical grade. :baiting:

isn't going to take columbo to figure out which book this is. 6 of 7 changed page color, that's pretty funny actually

the moral here is:

after pressing, you are more likely to see PQ change than the grade

lol

the moral here is:

after pressing, you are more likely to see PQ change than the grade

lol

Not necessarily true. I track my CPR books and the vast majority keep the same PQ. In fact I have more come back with better PQ the second time around compared to the PQ coming back worse. TBH most of those are old label books that were graded when CGC was tougher on PQ.

I know. Its ridiculous really.... really ridiculous... but then again the book is ridiculously scarce.

What makes you say that?

Based on GPA there does not appear to be many high grade copies being sold. It could be due to a lot of people not really knowing about the book and not knowing to get it graded but that seems unlikely since 9.6 copies are fetching $700 or so. 32 copies sold over the last 12 months graded 9.0 or higher seems pretty rare to me.

Anytime I've ever re-submitted a book, the page quality almost always comes back different from what it was before. I've even had some that were cream to off-white come back as white. How does that happen? Because of this, I don't place too much weight on it or obsess over it like some do.

The results:

ORIGINAL GRADE ---------------------- AFTER CPR

9.6 White------------------------------------ 9.6 Off white to white

9.4 White-------------------------------------9.6 Off white to white

9.2 White-------------------------------------9.4 Off white to white

8.5 White-------------------------------------9.0 Off white to White

8.0 Cream to Off White-------------------8.0 Off White to White

7.5 Off White to White--------------------7.5 Off White to White

7.0 Off White--------------------------------7.5 Off White

W to OW/W and vice versa I'm ok with.

C/OW to OW/W meh

Just checked prices of graded Shazam 28 :o The bump from 9.4 to 9.6 paid for the whole experiment.

Again, I truly don't want to come off as a whiner, but I can't help but think if the page colors also went down in a matter of a month, maybe, just maybe, i had a particularly harsh grader that day.

You seem very focused on the 2nd grader...isn't it equally possible you had a lenient grader the first time?

The results:

ORIGINAL GRADE ---------------------- AFTER CPR

9.6 White------------------------------------ 9.6 Off white to white

9.4 White-------------------------------------9.6 Off white to white

9.2 White-------------------------------------9.4 Off white to white

8.5 White-------------------------------------9.0 Off white to White

8.0 Cream to Off White-------------------8.0 Off White to White

7.5 Off White to White--------------------7.5 Off White to White

7.0 Off White--------------------------------7.5 Off White

W to OW/W and vice versa I'm ok with.

C/OW to OW/W meh

Just goes to show on PQ that it's only a guess.So you guys who are page snobs look how unimportant it really is.

You seem very focused on the 2nd grader...isn't it equally possible you had a lenient grader the first time?

Wait a minute. You mean that people automatically think the better results are always the correct ones?? :o

giphy.gif

It's a wash and you seem to have come out ahead a little on that experiment page quality aside. That 8.0 becomes way more attractive at OW/W. It'll be easier to sell and probably fetch a higher price than it would have before. Your half-point grade bumps should make up for the change in PQ on the higher grades.

As for PQ, it's a shoot unless they are:

modern and mostly white = white pages guaranteed

Copper and below and bone white = white pages guaranteed

or Any Age and mostly creamy to very creamy = cream to off-white pages guaranteed.

Everything else will be all over the map especially if they are right on the edge of PQ levels, the grader will make the call he feels is most accurate to him at that time. Too many factors play a role in PQ:

The type of lighting used

The angle of the light

The fatigue of the grader

The eye condition of the grader

The age of the OWL card template and how it reflects light under different settings (or PQ comparison tool substitute used by CGC).

I would expect they would have 1 and only 1 PQ grading station and controlled light source such that all PQ will be subject to the same conditions but only they know.

I've had books come back as White that I swore should have been OW at best and others come back cream to OW that I felt was a bit harsh and should have been at worst OW.

So congrats on the grade bumps, sell them for whatever profit you can and roll the dough into buying a 9.8 if you find one.