• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

"The Nightmare before Christmas" OR "The Grinch Who ReGraded 7 copies of a Key"

63 posts in this topic

Joey, if you don't mind me asking, do you think they were left in the oven too long as highradart guessed, or do you think I caught a grader on a grumpy day?

If that were the case the books would exhibit additional defects from being left in the press too long, or exposed to too much heat. If they all went down in grade along with the change in PQ I would say something is up. As has already been repeated, PQ can change from day to day with and without a CPR being involved.

The results:

ORIGINAL GRADE ---------------------- AFTER CPR

9.6 White------------------------------------ 9.6 Off white to white

9.4 White-------------------------------------9.6 Off white to white

9.2 White-------------------------------------9.4 Off white to white

8.5 White-------------------------------------9.0 Off white to White

8.0 Cream to Off White-------------------8.0 Off White to White

7.5 Off White to White--------------------7.5 Off White to White

7.0 Off White--------------------------------7.5 Off White

W to OW/W and vice versa I'm ok with.

C/OW to OW/W meh

Just goes to show on PQ that it's only a guess.So you guys who are page snobs look how unimportant it really is.

ya no kidding - I'm by no means a PQ snob.. after seeing this, I care about PQ even less.

Just checked prices of graded Shazam 28 :o The bump from 9.4 to 9.6 paid for the whole experiment.

Would this still hold true if the books were in hand and had to be shipped back and forth multiple times instead of just being shuffled down the hall? What is the cost to get a book pressed anyways. ???

In addition, is the price bump based upon an auction format or is it based upon wishful completed BIN prices whereby the seller might have had to wait months for a buyer to come around? Just asking since almost all eBay auctions which I see involving so-called "key" books or even anything even remotely resembling a semi-key or near keys are done as BIN listings as opposed to true auction format listings.

Thanks for all of your feedback. I feel a lot better hearing other PQ fluctuation stories. Still new to slabbing and once I saw my PQ changes I assumed it was some sort of bigger mistake.

Thanks again,

-Chris

The results:

C/OW to OW/W meh

Just goes to show on PQ that it's only a guess.So you guys who are page snobs look how unimportant it really is.

paging jaydogrules lol

The results:

C/OW to OW/W meh

Paging Jaydog :gossip: As a side note, I've had books CPR'ed and the PQ came back from white to offwhite-white and also had books go from cream-offwhite to offwhite. All a guessing game I guess to determine PQ. Of course the obvious differences would be something like cream pages and white pages, but everything else in between is almost identical.

The results:

C/OW to OW/W meh

Just goes to show on PQ numerical grades that it's only a guess.So you guys who are page grade snobs look how unimportant it really is.

fixed ;)

As to those who think page quality is much more of a crapshoot than grading, try jotting down your expected page quality grades and numerical grades both before submitting bunches of books. You'll find that, with a bit of effort at figuring out the CGC page quality grading system, you're likely to be at least as accurate guessing your page quality grades as your numerical grades. That's certainly been my experience after submitting hundreds of books (and not 7).

Several years ago, before he worked for CGCs' parent company, Matt Nelson ran a series of grading contests at 3 summer conventions across the country. Twenty raw comics across all ages from gold to copper, twenty minutes to grade for numerical grade and page quality. After each con was over, the books were sent to CGC for grading. At the Philly show I participated, and hit exactly two-thirds of the page quality grades and about the same number of numerical grades (finishing third in the contest).

Finally, books with true snow white pages won't ever change on regrading.

The results:

C/OW to OW/W meh

Just goes to show on PQ numerical grades that it's only a guess.So you guys who are page grade snobs look how unimportant it really is.

fixed ;)

As to those who think page quality is much more of a crapshoot than grading, try jotting down your expected page quality grades and numerical grades both before submitting bunches of books. You'll find that, with a bit of effort at figuring out the CGC page quality grading system, you're likely to be at least as accurate guessing your page quality grades as your numerical grades. That's certainly been my experience after submitting hundreds of books (and not 7).

Several years ago, before he worked for CGCs' parent company, Matt Nelson ran a series of grading contests at 3 summer conventions across the country. Twenty raw comics across all ages from gold to copper, twenty minutes to grade for numerical grade and page quality. After each con was over, the books were sent to CGC for grading. At the Philly show I participated, and hit exactly two-thirds of the page quality grades and about the same number of numerical grades (finishing third in the contest).

I'm with you on PQ being an important factor and likewide, assigning PQ as not being a crapshoot sort of process.

The results:

C/OW to OW/W meh

fixed ;)

I wish they had a special designation for pages that are truly snow white (OWL 10 in appearance AND newsstand-supple.) The current "white" designation is too broad, imho.

It would have been more interesting to know what the graders were CGC=>Voldemart=>CGC without pressing.

Roy, I might of missed it but when did OP say that he sent the books to Voldemort? I saw it as CGC, CPR, CGC.

My mistake. I saw CCS and misread it. ;)

The results:

C/OW to OW/W meh

fixed ;)

I'm with you on PQ being an important factor and likewide, assigning PQ as not being a crapshoot sort of process.

Let me explain why PQ is a crapshoot to me...this is not my book I nabbed this off the internet somewhere so if whomever owns this is a boardie hey an FF1 is an FF1 I'm not knocking the book just using this as an example. How in the world does this not get slightly brittle? I have subbed Golden Age books that I thought were cream to off white and were perfectly readable and they came back slightly brittle. Heck I just bought a super neat book Pep Comics #34 that has been designated slightly brittle and I didn't care one bit its beautiful and this is why...as a note this was graded 10/13 in case anyone is going to look it up...You be the judge and tell me just upon visual inspection which looks more brittle to you.... :idea:

23640752950_c0a3717c5e_o.png

23308454554_62fa90ee6c_b.jpg

You be the judge and tell me just upon visual inspection which looks more brittle to you..

I can't see nearly enough of the interior pages to judge. ;)

There are plenty of comics with beat up covers that sport beautiful interior pages, and plenty with pristine looking covers that have yellowed interiors.

The results:

C/OW to OW/W meh

paging jaydogrules lol

:whistle:

There's already enough hearts breaking because of this thread. :tonofbricks:

-J.