• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CLINK's new website

36 posts in this topic

their underlying database is still .

try to do a search for pedigree and you get a ridiculously long list thanks to their inconsistencies in listings and format.

just a new coat of paint (ps welcome to frames format, I remember when everyone else discovered this back in 2005...) on the same shakey house.

I'll keep bidding when I see books I like, but man the site doesnt make it any easier.

And yet still no tracking feature :facepalm:

Yep. Looks like it's the same site with some glossy new paint. Disappointing.

If CLink really wants to celebrate an overhaul they'll start sending sales data to GPA.

Now THAT change would make folks sit up and take notice. hm

Looked like there were more BC scans up for some of the bigger books in the next featured auction.

Anyway, I think the site is a great improvement. For anyone who wants to track a book you can always stick in a low ball bid on day one right?

I take it back I am wrong, very few BC scans.

But I do like the site and think it is an overall improvement.

Looked like there were more BC scans up for some of the bigger books in the next featured auction.

Anyway, I think the site is a great improvement. For anyone who wants to track a book you can always stick in a low ball bid on day one right?

Yep. That's what I always do. Also provides a supplement to GPA because the hammer prices remain in your bid list even after the original listings have been removed.

Yep. That's what I always do. Also provides a supplement to GPA because the hammer prices remain in your bid list even after the original listings have been removed.

So, you're saying it's available for personal reference, but can collectors and dealers submit the purchase data to GPA themselves? I think GPA requires some kind of verifiable sales data to incorporate it.

My point is that by withholding direct information CLink fails to provide substantive data that can be used as benchmark criteria of market movement.

For dealers, GPA data helps verify market trends and can be utilized as a reference to justify pricing, but CLink's resistance to providing data makes their auction seem like a clearing house for undervalued books. That only works as long as CLink buyers compete strongly enough to drive the final hammer price to a marginal profit over the seller's premium. But if the auction is primarily a draw for bargain hunters or dealers looking for undervalued books that can be easily flipped at upcoming cons & through other better promoted auctions, then a slow bleed will occur.

Apologies if my critical speculations seem unfair, but there has been a lot of disappointment expressed with recent results on these boards. Based on what I'm seeing, it wouldn't surprise me if fewer HG tentpole books are submitted to future CLink auctions by established dealers.

My 2c

While I applaud the fact that they finally did something, it doesn't seem like there is any new functionality. Perhaps I am missing something. I'm looking at the upcoming focused auction and there seems to be a lot of real estate to the left of the picture of the item on the scrollable list. In fact, the only thing mentioned is the grade. Why not put the Page Quality, comments, etc. Why force me to click on the item to see detail.

So, you're saying it's available for personal reference, but can collectors and dealers submit the purchase data to GPA themselves? I think GPA requires some kind of verifiable sales data to incorporate it.

My point is that by withholding direct information CLink fails to provide substantive data that can be used as benchmark criteria of market movement.

For dealers, GPA data helps verify market trends and can be utilized as a reference to justify pricing, but CLink's resistance to providing data makes their auction seem like a clearing house for undervalued books. That only works as long as CLink buyers compete strongly enough to drive the final hammer price to a marginal profit over the seller's premium. But if the auction is primarily a draw for bargain hunters or dealers looking for undervalued books that can be easily flipped at upcoming cons & through other better promoted auctions, then a slow bleed will occur.

Apologies if my critical speculations seem unfair, but there has been a lot of disappointment expressed with recent results on these boards. Based on what I'm seeing, it wouldn't surprise me if fewer HG tentpole books are submitted to future CLink auctions by established dealers.

My 2c

I agree that it would be helpful if CLink allowed GPA to use their results. As a I recall, CLink is willing to provide some data, but will not commit to providing all data. A position GPA finds unacceptable. At least that's what I remember reading in one of the threads where this has come up.

My remark was meant as an observation that collectors (and dealers) can track the results on books they are interested in by bidding on them (early so they don't end up inadvertently buying a book they don't actually want to). Although CLink poofs the actual auction pages, which make it impossible to search their site for older results, they don't delete the info (including the hammer price) from your bid list.

It may well be that they are attempting to attract dealers (as bidders) by keeping final prices from being recorded on GPA, thereby making the dealers' markups less evident to future customers. I'm not sure that the approach is necessarily bad for consignors, though. At any rate, they've been using it for years now and still seem able to attract some higher-end books. hm

My 2c

I have no problem with Clink not participating in GPA. I don't think it would benefit them at all.

It's basically only E-Bay and HA reporting anyway. Most dealers don't report. On the better books, sellers only use E-Bay to 'pimp' their books with a high BIN and work out a sale offline. Obviously, these don't get reported. Clink's long retention of sales data can work as a poor man's GPA.