• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Do you think I just got scammed with this Spider-Man #1 CGC 7.0?

63 posts in this topic

You know I have sold many cheap things on Ebay and some worth over 10 000$. Every time I sold a baseball card of that value this would happen : on one of the sports card forums people would doubt my whole auction then I would end up losing money on items that should have went much higher like when I sold a 1952 Topps Mickey Mantle rookie graded by PSA (people killed the auction on the card forum and people where scared to bid...should have sold for 10 000$ more than what I got for it. The whole time people where saying it will never arrive that I will not ship it out....but then bang I received positive feedback from the buyer then all was good till it came the next time to sell a key item of that value then the whole story repeated itself until again the buyer left me positive feedback.

I have purchased some expensive items from dealers who had not sold anything for over a year (some people make get ill and not sell for a while or some other issue in their lives can occur that makes this possible) and like you was worried but in the end I received all of them without any issues at all.

I am not going to say the auction is legit or not but keep all this in mind before panicking!!

Pay for FeDex overnight delivery then you will have a answer much sooner rather than later it is worth the 100$ trust me to calm your nerves down. I would only use FeDex on a item of this value I would not use any other service to have it delivered to me.

On another note you always have to make sure the seller has private insurance for items of this value because not a single shipping service will give him more than 2500$ in insurance (that is UPS everyone else is a 1000$ limit on collectibles). And Ebay only covers you for the 1st 10 000$.

You know I have sold many cheap things on Ebay and some worth over 10 000$. Every time I sold a baseball card of that value this would happen : on one of the sports card forums people would doubt my whole auction then I would end up losing money on items that should have went much higher like when I sold a 1952 Topps Mickey Mantle rookie graded PSA 4 (people killed the auction on the card forum and people where scared to bid...should have sold for 10 000$ more than what I got for it. The whole time people where saying it will never arrive that I will not ship it out....but then bang I received positive feedback from the buyer then all was good till it came the next time to sell a key item of that value then the whole story repeated itself until again the buyer left me positive feedback.

I have purchased some expensive items from dealers who had not sold anything for over a year (some people make get ill and not sell for a while or some other issue in their lives can occur that makes this possible) and like you was worried but in the end I received all of them without any issues at all.

I am not going to say the auction is legit or not but keep all this in mind before panicking!!

Pay for FeDex overnight delivery then you will have a answer much sooner rather than later it is worth the 100$ trust me to calm your nerves down. I would only use FeDex on a item of this value I would not use any other service to have it delivered to me.

On another note you always have to make sure the seller has private insurance for items of this value because not a single shipping service will give him more than 2500$ in insurance (that is UPS everyone else is a 1000$ limit on collectibles).

Thanks for the advice! I found out from EBay that the FF #12 CGC 9.2 this seller sold earlier this month ended up getting refunded to the buyer (probably non receipt). In any event, I am protected by EBay and PayPal so not going to worry too much for now.

In that case no it is not. He has most likely up graded his scam and will send a box with a tracking number so it will be your word versus his....and Ebay sucks at paying back in those type of situations.

Yeah, I spoke to an EBay supervisor who said in those situations, I would need to file a "item not as described" claim and EBay will usually favor the buyer. He also advised I take pictures when the box arrives and I'll probably open it at the Post Office if witnesses are required.

You know I have sold many cheap things on Ebay and some worth over 10 000$. Every time I sold a baseball card of that value this would happen : on one of the sports card forums people would doubt my whole auction then I would end up losing money on items that should have went much higher like when I sold a 1952 Topps Mickey Mantle rookie graded PSA 4 (people killed the auction on the card forum and people where scared to bid...should have sold for 10 000$ more than what I got for it. The whole time people where saying it will never arrive that I will not ship it out....but then bang I received positive feedback from the buyer then all was good till it came the next time to sell a key item of that value then the whole story repeated itself until again the buyer left me positive feedback.

On another note you always have to make sure the seller has private insurance for items of this value because not a single shipping service will give him more than 2500$ in insurance (that is UPS everyone else is a 1000$ limit on collectibles).

Thanks for the advice! I found out from EBay that the FF #12 CGC 9.2 this seller sold earlier this month ended up getting refunded to the buyer (probably non receipt). In any event, I am protected by EBay and PayPal so not going to worry too much for now.

And you still plan to move forward with this transaction after learning this new fact :facepalm:

How many red flags do you need ?

Cool books. :cool:

They really are, when they can be re-sold over and over again. ;)

I sent the seller two emails yesterday. The first requested the seller send me additional photos to prove they owned this book otherwise I wanted them to cancel the transaction. I received no response. After talking to EBay I was advised to contact the seller again and request to cancel the transaction as the book had not yet shipped, so I sent a second email requesting cancellation.

Here was the response today from the seller:

"Hello Andrew, I understand your concerns. I'm not a professional seller. However you are 100% covered by PayPal and eBay buyer protection program. This book is a family piece. I guarantee that your item will arrive as described. If for any reason you're not absolutely thrilled with the book when it arrives, just get it back to me in about 30 days in the exact same condition that it was sent to you, and I'll return your payment. I'm sure that you'll be very pleased.

FF #12 sold locally. Refund sent to the buyer.

Thank you"

The seller has subsequently refunded me the entire purchase price today via PayPal. I don't know what kind of "family piece" this book is, as GPA shows it has sold several times in the last few years (June 24, 2015 & Aug 14, 2014). hm

Cool books. :cool:

They really are, when they can be re-sold over and over again. ;)

I sent the seller two emails yesterday. The first requested the seller send me additional photos to prove they owned this book otherwise I wanted them to cancel the transaction. I received no response. After talking to EBay I was advised to contact the seller again and request to cancel the transaction as the book had not yet shipped, so I sent a second email requesting cancellation.

Here was the response today from the seller:

"Hello Andrew, I understand your concerns. I'm not a professional seller. However you are 100% covered by PayPal and eBay buyer protection program. This book is a family piece. I guarantee that your item will arrive as described. If for any reason you're not absolutely thrilled with the book when it arrives, just get it back to me in about 30 days in the exact same condition that it was sent to you, and I'll return your payment. I'm sure that you'll be very pleased.

FF #12 sold locally. Refund sent to the buyer.

Thank you"

The seller has subsequently refunded me the entire purchase price today via PayPal. I don't know what kind of "family piece" this book is, as GPA shows it has sold several times in the last few years (June 24, 2015 & Aug 14, 2014). hm

:applause: - good, better to get out of that headache now than deal with it later!

I once got a deal that was too good to be true....it turned out to be true. I guess the seller just didn't know? I later resold it for 3 times the amount. It happens...

Im sure it does happen, but not often with a MAJOR key (worth thousands) - ill go out on a limb as say 99.9% of those "too good to be true" deals, are. :sumo: (especially on eBay)

Im sure it does happen, but not often with a MAJOR key (worth thousands) - ill go out on a limb as say 99.9% of those "too good to be true" deals, are. :sumo: (especially on eBay)

Plus, why not support the good dealers of the hobby, the ones with proven track records of integrity and excellent customer service from whom you can buy without any qualms. They deserve to be supported, and the hobby is strengthened for it.

Plus, why not support the good dealers of the hobby, the ones with proven track records of integrity and excellent customer service from whom you can buy without any qualms. They deserve to be supported, and the hobby is strengthened for it.

+1

+1

..... one should always proceed with caution on "boneBay"....... GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u