• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

More Fun Comics #56 on ebay

31 posts in this topic

All of his stuff is bogus!news.gif

West

At least he's smart enough not to be offering the usual big-ticket books (FF 1, Action 1, AF 15) that gets everybody's fraud detectors going. Finally, a sophisticated con artist! 27_laughing.gif

Unbelievable! Thanks to everyone here for the warnings. This is a lot craftier than most scams, and I would have found it hard to resist placing a bid on the Adventure 41. The guy has lots of pos feedbacks for other old books. What's funny on closer inspection is that the pilfered scan of the Adventure 41 back cover shows a bit of the transluscent CGC holder plastic, but the seller must not have known what that was and wrote "some tape on bottom of back".

It's really awful though that a lot of legitimate bidders are being taken in. Is it safe to assume ebay won't intervene without more concrete evidence?

Unbelievable! Thanks to everyone here for the warnings. This is a lot craftier than most scams, and I would have found it hard to resist placing a bid on the Adventure 41. The guy has lots of pos feedbacks for other old books. What's funny on closer inspection is that the pilfered scan of the Adventure 41 back cover shows a bit of the transluscent CGC holder plastic, but the seller must not have known what that was and wrote "some tape on bottom of back".

It's really awful though that a lot of legitimate bidders are being taken in. Is it safe to assume ebay won't intervene without more concrete evidence?

Haspel and I have alerted our friends at ebay about this guy. We are starting to be a little more pro-active about this kind of stuff, because ebay says they will help us when possible. thumbsup2.gif

Haspel and I have alerted our friends at ebay about this guy. We are starting to be a little more pro-active about this kind of stuff, because ebay says they will help us when possible. thumbsup2.gif

I am happy to work with you as much as possible on this worthwhile effort.

The "seller" sent me this photo today.

752953-ComicLot-March2005.jpg

He wrote:

"My home scanner is out, here is a group photo scanned at work. The cheapo scanner here worries me too much to run comics through it."

The two e-mail addresses he used were: thosedarncomics@adelphia.net and steve.barghusen@petcrossing.com.

It appears that the scam is to sell mid to low grade comics and advertise them by using scans of high grade copies that the seller doesn't own. The seller counts on the buyer relying on the scan to buy the book. Then, when the buyer complains that the book is nothing like he expected, the seller claims that the book is consistent with the written description and refuses to provide a refund.

The "seller" sent me this photo today.

752953-ComicLot-March2005.jpg

He wrote:

"My home scanner is out, here is a group photo scanned at work. The cheapo scanner here worries me too much to run comics through it."

The two e-mail addresses he used were: thosedarncomics@adelphia.net and steve.barghusen@petcrossing.com.

Are you implying the seller's real name is Steve Barghusen? If this is in fact true, then the auctions might be authentic since I believe Steve is really 143ksk who is a upstanding member of these boards.

Of course, there's always the possibility that any scam artist could have copied Steve's name to create this email address. Maybe we should PM 143ksk and ask him if these are really his auctions.