• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

DC war comics: where to begin?

103 posts in this topic

...being a middle-aged collector who sold off his collection in his early twenties and is now rediscovering those comics and all the creative talents who made them. I've been eager to get back into DC war comics....

It's simple really. Nobody can tell you what to like, and surely you yourself remember what your favourite titles were as a kid. Well start by trying to complete those runs however you define them. Eventually you'll probably want to expand from there.

:preach:

2. Books, you say? There are many. One of my favorites is Chris Pedrin's guide to the Big Five. Even though some of the info needs some revisions, It is like Wow.

I agree! Big Five is the essential resource for any DC war comics collector.

41CxGoPmD9L._SX258_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

:)

I think Jeffro, AndyG, and me tend to be on the younger end of war collectors. Speaking for myself, I'm 45. In terms of investments, I don't see most war comics as particularly strong long-term investments because, unless something remarkable happens, most of the collectors of this genre will be well past retirement or their families will be selling their collections post-mortem (that's MY plan anyway). There are new collectors coming in, but probably not in the numbers necessary to create a significant demand for the runs and--like I said before, unless something unforeseen happens--more will be exiting war comics than entering in the coming decades.

Yes, there will always be collectors who want a key or a certain book. That GIC 104 that Andy posted is relatively available in all but the highest grades, but it's definitely been a sought-after one more so than the surrounding issues. Eventually, for books like that, the demand will outstrip the supply and it'll probably ALWAYS be a sought-after copy regardless of how vibrant the war collectors base is. This will be true of the obvious things like OAAW 83-112, 128, 151, GIC 87-100ish, OFF 45, SSWS 84-100, the perty thirty, and select covers peppered throughout the Big-5 runs.

I don't have a crystal ball, but that's the way it appears from my standpoint.

Great analysis Mick. I think (sadly) that you're spot on. I am hoping that you're proven wrong though. ;)

I've given a lot of thought recently to really paring down my collection and keeping only big keys and reading copies

Agreed, all great advice. And if you ever get bored, you may find yourself picking up things like this:

P28T5Ish.jpg

I would say that original art is more than a bit advanced for someone who's asking where to start building a DC war comic collection.

:insane:

I think Jeffro, AndyG, and me tend to be on the younger end of war collectors. Speaking for myself, I'm 45. In terms of investments, I don't see most war comics as particularly strong long-term investments because, unless something remarkable happens, most of the collectors of this genre will be well past retirement or their families will be selling their collections post-mortem (that's MY plan anyway). There are new collectors coming in, but probably not in the numbers necessary to create a significant demand for the runs and--like I said before, unless something unforeseen happens--more will be exiting war comics than entering in the coming decades.

Yes, there will always be collectors who want a key or a certain book. That GIC 104 that Andy posted is relatively available in all but the highest grades, but it's definitely been a sought-after one more so than the surrounding issues. Eventually, for books like that, the demand will outstrip the supply and it'll probably ALWAYS be a sought-after copy regardless of how vibrant the war collectors base is. This will be true of the obvious things like OAAW 83-112, 128, 151, GIC 87-100ish, OFF 45, SSWS 84-100, the perty thirty, and select covers peppered throughout the Big-5 runs.

I don't have a crystal ball, but that's the way it appears from my standpoint.

Great analysis Mick. I think (sadly) that you're spot on. I am hoping that you're proven wrong though. ;)

I've given a lot of thought recently to really paring down my collection and keeping only big keys and reading copies

I think demand for Kubert will be timeless, the greats will always be great.

Oh dude. It's the best. I think I like the Spitfire page even more.

Thanks, I'm extremely happy with it. Bechara had/has another full Heath story that's equally awesome, but in a much different fashion. Asking price was not conducive to a healthy marriage unfortunately.