• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

DC war comics: where to begin?

103 posts in this topic

I enjoyed putting together the: Our Army at War 1-80 run so much, that now that I have completed it,..i almost want to do it all over again !!!!!

I had the very same feeliing after completing the Big 5. Congrats!! :applause:

Course, if you're going to get #128, you might as well go for the #129 because of the cool triple vertical panel cover. . .

oaaw129.jpg

. . .but then it makes sense to get the remaining triple panel covers in #134-137 also.

I couldn't possibly stop there. Too many masterpieces to follow.

Our-Army-at-War-198-01.jpg

[font:Comic Sans MS]

I have been working on Our Army at War 80-113 for the past 10 years.... Still need one more book to finish the run[/font]

Way to go! Which book, Mike?

In 1993/94, when I discovered Chris Pedrin's Big Five Information Guide, I knew EXACTLY what I wanted to focus on.... There was a section that broke down every single book, telling us what stories were in each issue, and who the creators were.

My copy is currently buried in a box in the storage room while I continue to dream about getting more shelving for all my books. One of these years....

Could you therefore tell me which comic contains the one-page Sgt. Rock story of a young U.S. soldier and his German doppelganger getting into a gun fight over a puppy in which all three are killed?

???

It's right up there with he best war stories ever.

:(

In 1993/94, when I discovered Chris Pedrin's Big Five Information Guide, I knew EXACTLY what I wanted to focus on.... There was a section that broke down every single book, telling us what stories were in each issue, and who the creators were.

My copy is currently buried in a box in the storage room while I continue to dream about getting more shelving for all my books. One of these years....

Could you therefore tell me which comic contains the one-page Sgt. Rock story of a young U.S. soldier and his German doppelganger getting into a gun fight over a puppy in which all three are killed?

???

It's right up there with he best war stories ever.

:(

So, Sgt. Rock died in this one-page story?

I have been working on Our Army at War 80-113 for the past 10 years.... Still need one more book to finish the run[/font]

Looking for #104 in F or better to complete the run... I always focused on the early issues thinking the later issues would be easier... 104 & 105 were the last two books I needed for the last 2-3 years. I cant believe how difficult they have been. I found a 105 which is lower grade than I would like but presents well enough. Now it's just 104.

Looking for #104 in F or better to complete the run... I always focused on the early issues thinking the later issues would be easier... 104 & 105 were the last two books I needed for the last 2-3 years. I cant believe how difficult they have been. I found a 105 which is lower grade than I would like but presents well enough. Now it's just 104.

Metropolis has one on ebay right now. Seems a little pricey. Maybe not though if it's so hard to find

http://www.ebay.com/itm/OUR-ARMY-AT-WAR-104-FN-6-/252095403559?hash=item3ab20e9627:g:4SgAAOSwiLdV-2Is

Never mind. Detached cover on this one. :(

Metropolis has one on ebay right now. Seems a little pricey. Maybe not though if it's so hard to find

http://www.ebay.com/itm/OUR-ARMY-AT-WAR-104-FN-6-/252095403559?hash=item3ab20e9627:g:4SgAAOSwiLdV-2Is

Don't buy that book. It looks too ugly for a Fine 6.0 and it's cover is detached. 2c

Don't buy that book. It looks too ugly for a Fine 6.0 and it's cover is detached. 2c

Buying raw books from Metro is a last resort because their grading is usually overly exuberant. If you do feel compelled to buy from them, go to their site and make them an offer, rather than buying from them on eBay.

He's been waiting 10 years, he can wait a little longer. :preach:

I hate Metro.... I had seen that copy. I didn't like the way it presented and then I saw it had a detached cover. If anyone else listed a book as F and then said in the fine print that it had a detached cover they would be considered shady.

I'm still waiting on a GI Combat 81 from blazinbob, but for now, this is my initial foray. I'm content with low grade copies, and I look forward to reading these. I've almost finished the Rick Atkinson trilogy on WW II (history buffs for WWII, that trilogy is outstanding, go read it!) and look forward to reading these comics. Of course, thumbing through, I see on the splash page of one comic a Jeep jumping a German tank, but heck, I bought comics, not historical depictions, dammit!

I was happy to grab three grey tones on sale as well as the Haunted Tank origin. I read a lot of Haunted Tank stories as a kid, and I've read about the origin of the HT, but I haven't read the origin of it. And yes, I see the appeal of a Grandanetti cover. :)

2IxeCOXm.jpg

91Zbz3Ym.jpg

hepnxuBm.jpg

If9tkJHm.jpg

Buying raw books from Metro is a last resort because their grading is usually overly exuberant. If you do feel compelled to buy from them, go to their site and make them an offer, rather than buying from them on eBay.

Yeah, I've been disappointed too many times by Metro's grading. Once in a while, good, but too often, not so good, and that's being kind.

Yeah, I've been disappointed too many times by Metro's grading. Once in a while, good, but too often, not so good, and that's being kind.

the funniest thing is that on their site the book is only $61 (plus 8-$10 postage), instead of the $112 they want on ebay... lol Is it worth $61 + postage with a detached cover? You should NEVER buy a book from Metro on ebay because the book is always cheaper on their website...same goes for My Comic Shop...