• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Green Lantern 59 (undervalued or overvalued)

33 posts in this topic

GL 59 is way overvalued.

IMHO, 76 is the big key. Story/character-wise, I'd take John Stewart over Guy Gardner any day. John Stewart has much more depth and is much more interesting. Guy Gardner always struck me as two-dimensional and only good for a gag.

That said, I'll take 87 over 59 any day of the week.

GL 59 is way overvalued.

IMHO, 76 is the big key. Story/character-wise, I'd take John Stewart over Guy Gardner any day. John Stewart has much more depth and is much more interesting. Guy Gardner always struck me as two-dimensional and only good for a gag.

That said, I'll take 87 over 59 any day of the week.

Yep, Guy Gardner had his 15 minutes of comic book fame which raised the value of GL 59 & his other appearances in that title. He's done; stick a fork in 'em. boo.gif

GL 59 Lets say 300 k print run. There is only 1 9.8 two 9.6s and 7 9.4s. So 10 super nice grades out of 300k( including all the multi packs that supposedly went out.), Given that I feel the GL 59 needs a bump in price.

I like the book, but I don't agree. For starters, for a silver age DC, those numbers are HIGH. Many Silver and even Bronze Age DCs don't get any higher than 9.4 or 9.2. For example GL 76 tops out at 9.4 and GL 74 and 79 both top out at 9.2. Secondly, scarcity is only a factor in a book's price, there are plenty of others that play a part and demand is an important one. With this book the demand just isn't there the way it once was.

I think that there is a lot of contridiction in the comic marketplace. If you take a character that is only a "C" list villain or hero...I think that Swamp Thing is a perfect example of this paradox. Here is a character that proabably most people outside of comics know, other than those familair with the lame movies from the 80s. House of Secrets 92 guides for , i think $700 and no one seems the least bit annoyed that the book goes for huge money in high grade. The cenus numbers are 6 - 9.6, 9 - 9.4, 22 - 9.2 and yet the book is both more common and no more a key than the GL 59. Sure there are alot of people that say Swamp Thing is more important, more popular , better looking, better hung, or whatever....yet that is all subjective.- Course i would rather have a HOS 92 than GL 59, but that is only personal prefance. There is no formula to say one is better than the other. A first apperance of say, Hulk or FF is easy to compare next to Luke Cage or Ghost Rider, but compare 1st apperance of X MEN vs FF is tougher. - There are alot of books that are worth alot of money that really make me 893scratchchin-thumb.gif - Why is Marvel Spotlight # 2 in 9.4 worth $500 + ??! - Lame character that is long forgotten...no one really cares about....yet it's valuable in higher grades.

swamp thing certainly had more appearances than Guy gardner, movies, toys, and his title in the 80's eventually spawnd the entire vertigo universe thanks to Alan Moore. I think werewolf by night is a closer parallel to guy gardner. Why is MS#2 so high, well i do think its too high, but there is that sweet adams cover, its a giant, and the 1st werewolf in comics since 1954 when the code killed them, ad the start to marvel's supernatural line. confused-smiley-013.gif

Yep, apart from Swamp Thing's contribution to Vertigo via the Moore run, I think HOS 92 has a number of things going for it. It has a beautiful Wrightson cover and Wrightson interior art on the Swamp Thing story, and it's THE key book from the bronze horror genre.

I do see the point about some minor 1st appearances being higher than others. Some books just seem to take on an aftermarket life of their own. confused-smiley-013.gif