• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

STAR WARS : Episode VIII December 15, 2017
4 4

1,797 posts in this topic

7 minutes ago, CAHokie said:

You mean after the big emotional filled ending of her handing Luke the lightsaber, you didn’t enjoy him tossing it over a cliff and walking away? That was writing at its best!

I preferred the First Order, in the midst of mass murder, taking the time to run a Laurel and Hardy bit with Hux and Kylo. Nothing lightens up mass slaughter, while it's still happening, like a little slapstick..IN THE SAME SCENE. 

16 minutes ago, CAHokie said:

You mean after the big emotional filled ending of her handing Luke the lightsaber, you didn’t enjoy him tossing it over a cliff and walking away? That was writing at its best!

This movie needs a laugh track

2 minutes ago, jsilverjanet said:

This movie needs a laugh track

Seriously, If they would have run this song over the trailers I would have been more prepared....

1 hour ago, rjrjr said:

And they did that.  This movie is making money.  It's not like Disney didn't know there were going to be a few upset fans.  That is par for the course for Star Wars since the original trilogy ended.

They can't worry about the few vocal fans who would rather Star Wars was stagnant and not moving forward. 

lol

I'll just agree to disagree. You're way off on a "few". It's closer to half.

I never said it isn't going to make money but they certainly aren't going to maximize their profits with so many unhappy fans.

1 hour ago, CAHokie said:

embarrassing :facepalm: waiting two years for that

6 minutes ago, Azkaban said:

embarrassing :facepalm: waiting two years for that

I once watched a 2 hour superhero movie just to have the big final showdown turn into a dance off challenge between the hero and the villain. :facepalm:

At least this movie used this scene early.  You could have walked and saved yourself the headache of watching the whole thing.

BTW, I agree this humor was misplaced.

Edited by rjrjr

2 hours ago, rjrjr said:

And they did that.  This movie is making money.  It's not like Disney didn't know there were going to be a few upset fans.  That is par for the course for Star Wars since the original trilogy ended.

They can't worry about the few vocal fans who would rather Star Wars was stagnant and not moving forward.  They are setting things up so they continue to make money off the franchise.

According to fans, jettisoning the Expanded Universe was bad.  How many fans did Disney lose then?  Disney did it anyway.  They want to succeed and grow the franchise, not be tied down by the aging fans who are holding the franchise hostage to what they think it should be.

Fans got their movie with TFA.  And there were still plenty of complaints.  There is no way for Disney to please everyone!

Are you assuming the concern for those not satisfied the issue is Luke died versus how he died? Because I would say it is the latter. Not the former.

So they could have easily moved the franchise forward without the original characters. Just wrap up their quest in a better story, and it would have led to less concern with what we experienced now.

3 minutes ago, rjrjr said:

I once watched a 2 hour superhero movie just to have the big final showdown turn into a dance off challenge between the hero and the villain. :facepalm:

At least this movie used this scene early.  You could have walked and saved yourself the headache of watching the whole thing.

lol

3 minutes ago, Bosco685 said:

Are you assuming the concern for those not satisfied the issue is Luke died versus how he died? Because I would say it is the latter. Not the former.

So they could have easily moved the franchise forward without the original characters. Just wrap up their quest in a better story, and it would have led to less concern with what we experienced now.

agree 100%

10 minutes ago, Bosco685 said:

That was my point.  Fans had it played up in their head how Luke would be killed.  Nothing the writers could do would live up to that.

What was on the screen was perfect.  Luke showed his mastery of the Force in a very powerful and different way (Force projection) and his big death was him disappearing just we've seen with other powerful Jedi, Obi-Wan and Yoda.  And they threw a reminder of THE Luke scene from the original movie, when Luke was staring up at the twin Suns of Tatooine.

You didn't like what they did because you wanted to see Luke's final be different.  It doesn't make how they killed him bad.  Just different than what you expected.

You also wanted this final trilogy to be about the original heroes.  Their story was told.  Disney doesn't want the story to stagnate on those heroes and therefore moved on.  This is all about your expectations (wanting a last hurrah for your generation's heroes) and not what Disney feels is best for the franchise, moving the story forward.

This is the big problem Marvel and DC have with their fan base.  Their fans don't want to see the character's change and grow.  But they do want to complain about how the same stories keep getting told over and over again.  You can't have it both ways.  You either grow the characters and challenge them in new ways or you stagnate and read the same stories over and over again.

Edited by rjrjr

1 minute ago, rjrjr said:

That was my point.  Fans had it played up in their head how Luke would be killed.  Nothing the writers could do would live up to that.

What was on the screen was perfect.  Luke showed his mastery of the Force in a very powerful and different way (Force projection) and his big death was him disappearing just we've seen with other powerful Jedi, Obi-Wan and Yoda.  And they threw a reminder of THE Luke scene from the original movie, when Luke was staring up at the twin Suns of Tatooine.

You didn't like what they did because you wanted to see Luke's final be different.  It doesn't make how they killed him bad.  Just different than what you expected.

I'll go with that last statement. What I experienced, for me, was not perfect. The whole 'projecting himself to the death' seemed like a letdown. But it certainly wasn't about the fact Luke dies (movies been out long enough to let this cat out of the bag).

But that doesn't mean you or others shouldn't enjoy it. I just shake my head when someone assumes it is people wanting it all to be just a continuation of the original characters, and nobody else.

11 minutes ago, rjrjr said:

lol

I knew where you were going.

:foryou:

5 minutes ago, rjrjr said:

Force projection UGH No what I wanted was what they had spent the first movie building up to tracking down this famous Jedi but what we got was a force projection with no lightsaber battle and two dodges, hell old Ben put up a little fight before he let Vader do the deed. Just awful 2c

2 minutes ago, Bosco685 said:

I'll go with that last statement. What I experienced, for me, was not perfect. The whole 'projecting himself to the death' seemed like a letdown. But it certainly wasn't about the fact Luke dies (movies been out long enough to let this cat out of the bag).

But that doesn't mean you or others shouldn't enjoy it. I just shake my head when someone assumes it is people wanting it all to be just a continuation of the original characters, and nobody else.

Trust me, I'm sorry to hear others didn't enjoy it.  I would have been upset if the movie just retold the original trilogy, so I loved what they did by having Kylo (Vader) beat Snoke (the Emperor) and Rey (Luke) not be related to Kylo (Vader.)  Killing Snoke now sets up new dynamics we haven't had before.  Having Rey be a nobody clears the deck of all expectation on her heritage.

I wish you also enjoyed how Luke was killed.  His character grew and changed between movies and he was in a dark place.  Rey/R2-D2 brought him back.  He went out in a blaze of glory.  I was happy with that.  And he did it by displaying the most powerful use of the Force we've seen on screen yet.  I couldn't be happier.  I'm sorry you were not.

10 minutes ago, rjrjr said:

I wish you also enjoyed how Luke was killed.  His character grew and changed between movies and he was in a dark place.  Rey/R2-D2 brought him back.  He went out in a blaze of glory.  I was happy with that.  And he did it by displaying the most powerful use of the Force we've seen on screen yet.  I couldn't be happier.  I'm sorry you were not.

A class act! Thanks for that.

(worship)

Edited by Bosco685

19 minutes ago, Bosco685 said:

A class act! Thanks for that.

(worship)

You and I agree more often than not on most movies.  And clearly this movie wasn't for everyone (otherwise, why the backlash from some fans?)  I trust over time, just like other Star Wars movies, this movie will be seen in a new, more positive light once the disappointment of not living up to expectations subsides.  I feel it offers up much to discuss and really opens up the future potential of this franchise.  I hope they learn that the over the top humor is misplaced and the humor needs to be more subtle.  To me, that was THE problem with this movie, not Luke's character or how he was killed or any of the other story points.

The MCU/DCU has taught me to let go of my expectations and just enjoy what is present on the screen, not what I want on the screen.  Otherwise, I wouldn't be able to enjoy most of the current crop of superheroes movies.  I've learned to set the comic character's personalities aside and just go with how they act on the screen.  I understand in the movies, the characters all have the same voice, because that fits the formula that makes them successful.  For Star Wars, what happens on the screen is digested for what it is, not what I read in the Expanded Universe or how I would like something to turn out.  If it was what I would like, the Death Star II would have been constructed over Kashyyyk and the Empire would not have died shortly after ROTJ. :nyah:  (In the perfect world, Rey, Finn, Poe, and BB8 would be fighting the Empire, not their spinoff the NO.)

It is telling to me how strongly others feel about TLJ.  Clearly, Star Wars has touched many people in ways that most franchises wish they could.  Unfortunately, this also means there are huge reactions when something doesn't go the way fans expect.

Edited by rjrjr

These billions are based on the characters that George Lucas created. 

Nothing of these new characters created by Disney gives me the need to see them on their own. Yes episode 9 may gives us that reason but for some of us, we won’t even bother 

Sooner or later the guaranteed box office will dissipate faster than Luke’s body 

54 minutes ago, rjrjr said:

It is telling to me how strongly others feel about TLJ.  Clearly, Star Wars has touched many people in ways that most franchises wish they could.  Unfortunately, this also means there are huge reactions when something doesn't go the way fans expect.

:applause:

It is incredible how wide-spread the Star Wars experience is around the world.

The way Luke died didn’t bother me. It was his horrible characterization  and the slapstick humor leading up to it. A part of me is glad he died the way he did because dying at the hands of a whiny mellinial Vader wannabe would be worse.