• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

STAR WARS : Episode VIII December 15, 2017
4 4

1,797 posts in this topic

I wont see it again till hits TV. I wouldn't call it the worse SW film, but after the last 2 this one really sucked in comparison.
The villains are the weak link I think, but that's just my opinion.

I still cant get over how they treated Luke Skywalker in this film. How the hell you come with that idea for Luke's character
is beyond me. 

39 minutes ago, jsilverjanet said:

Imagine if the movie was good how much more it would have made 

I enjoyed the movie and I'm a longtime fan having seen the original movie in 1977.  I also know many others who enjoyed it.  I know we like to believe the vocal voices online represent a large part of the population, but as should be obvious by now when comparing online opinions and box office $$$, they don't always sync.  We've had ample examples on these boards over and over again.

I think you are overestimating the impact the vocal online has for people who go to the movies.  I brought up Rotten Tomatoes to several friends and not all of them are even aware of the site's existence, let alone visit it for other people's opinions on movies.  Personally, I think it is sad anyone needs validation from a site like that to like or dislike a movie. :(  But I'm also the one who thinks its sad when comic collectors buy books they otherwise wouldn't care about just because it becomes "hot".

Edited by rjrjr

8 minutes ago, rjrjr said:

I enjoyed the movie and I'm a longtime fan having seen the original movie in 1977.  I also know many others who enjoyed it.  I know we like to believe the vocal voices online represent everyone, but as should be obvious by now when comparing online opinions and box office $$$, they don't always sync.  We've had ample examples on these boards over and over again.

I’m glad you liked it and I won’t tell you not to see it. However as a standard movie (take out all the little Star Wars inconsistencies) based on plot, character development etc the movie is bad for me. It’s not enjoyable. The actions scenes while plenty aren’t good enough to warrant making this watchable again (as compared to something like JL) - again my opinion only

Like I said, I’m happy you enjoyed it. Movies are wonderful past time. Nothing like sitting in front of a big screen with a tub of popcorn and watching moving pictures 

Edited by jsilverjanet

1 hour ago, comicwiz said:

Someone posted this one FB. Even before I saw TLJ, I had a the vibe of being 9 again waiting to watch ESB in the theaters. Funny to see the parallels then and now:

ESB_critic.jpg

Would have been better if someone had actually said this in 1980. They really REALLY had to shoehorn a few of those complaints to make them comparative to TLJ. 

For Kershner to have "destroyed his childhood" the guy writing this would still have to be a child (three years after Star Wars), so he's still got time. lol

Oddly, I saw ESB in the theaters, I know you did too....literally none of those things mentioned were complaints anyone had. People were blown away by what a down note the film was, and shocked by the twist, and appreciative of how much better Kershner put together a film. That's probably because it was the first time it was done, to be repeated in the prequels, to be re-repeated in the Dis-Trilogy.

Fans LOVED Yoda, because even as a puppet they gave him real gravity. They didn't have him pause in the middle of training to make a fart joke. 

Eight of us went to see it opening night only one has been back for a repeat viewing. Normally we would have seen it twice by now but that's not gonna happen. Yes I know how much money it's going to make but it could have made so much more. 2c

8 minutes ago, comix4fun said:

Would have been better if someone had actually said this in 1980. They really REALLY had to shoehorn a few of those complaints to make them comparative to TLJ. 

For Kershner to have "destroyed his childhood" the guy writing this would still have to be a child (three years after Star Wars), so he's still got time. lol

Oddly, I saw ESB in the theaters, I know you did too....literally none of those things mentioned were complaints anyone had. People were blown away by what a down note the film was, and shocked by the twist, and appreciative of how much better Kershner put together a film. That's probably because it was the first time it was done, to be repeated in the prequels, to be re-repeated in the Dis-Trilogy.

Fans LOVED Yoda, because even as a puppet they gave him real gravity. They didn't have him pause in the middle of training to make a fart joke. 

I remember walking away from ESB 

hey these Empire guys are pretty bad - Boba Fett, yeah I’m in. Screw the republic and Luke

9 minutes ago, Chip Cataldo said:

It's only $6 for the matinee. I'm not worried about it.

My bad, it just seemed based on your recent posts of not having money for some very important things, you wouldn’t want to waste it on rewatching a movie you just saw. I’m sure you know what your doing though. (Yes it’s only $6, but a little here, a little there, starts to add up in savings).

11 minutes ago, CAHokie said:

My bad, it just seemed based on your recent posts of not having money for some very important things, you wouldn’t want to waste it on rewatching a movie you just saw. I’m sure you know what your doing though. (Yes it’s only $6, but a little here, a little there, starts to add up in savings).

Thank God it wasn't a better movie....or people might consider setting up a gofundme page to fund their movie tickets and popcorn for multiple viewings. 

1 hour ago, rjrjr said:

I think you are overestimating the impact the vocal online has for people who go to the movies.  

I'm glad you enjoyed it as well. About half the audiences thought it was a good movie BUT how much do you think Disney lost by losing that other 50%? For arguments sake, let's say 90% of the audience liked it. I'm a huge SW nerd and if it was a great movie, I would have seen it 3 times already. Heck, I saw TFA twice and thought it was just ok.

So what's the price tag on that 40%? 400m? 500m? More?

Not to mention, they pissed off a lot of fans and potentially hurt future business. Of course they won't admit it now but I assure you, the higher ups are regretting letting Johnson molest the story. 

Edited by I like pie

7 minutes ago, I like pie said:

I'm glad you enjoyed it as well. About half the audiences thought it was a good movie BUT how much do you think Disney lost by losing that other 50%? For arguments sake, let's say 90% of the audience liked it. I'm a huge SW nerd and if it was a great movie, I would have seen it 3 times already. Heck, I saw TFA twice and thought it was just ok.

Not to mention, they pissed off a lot of fans and potentially hurt future business. Of course they won't admit it now but I assure you, the higher ups are regretting letting Johnson molest the story. 

:applause:

16 minutes ago, I like pie said:

they gave Johnson the trilogy after this movie was wrapped. your contention makes no sense.

14 minutes ago, paperheart said:

they gave Johnson the trilogy after this movie was wrapped. your contention makes no sense.

After it was wrapped, before it premiered.