• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

STAR WARS : Episode VIII December 15, 2017
4 4

1,797 posts in this topic

14 hours ago, Red84 said:

The biggest difference between Empire and Last Jedi - building interest for a next movie.

At the end of Empire - Vader is Luke's father?  How will he respond in the next movie?  Han's been kidnapped, will they rescue him in time?

At the end of Last Jedi - We know who Rey's parents are and Snoke is dead.  There is nothing to wonder about and nothing driving the next movie.

What about the inevitable conflict between Rey and Kylo?  That seems to be what this trilogy is building to.  It was clear to me this movie was a clearing of the deck and fans who were wondering about things that were not important (Rey's parentage, Snoke's background) were thrown to the wayside to focus on the conflict between Rey and Kylo.  I do feel bad for those fans who sat around wondering about these questions the past 2 years who are upset about this movie not addressing them to their satisfaction.  None of that mattered and they wanted the story to focus on something else and not rehash the original trilogy despite TFA using the same beats as Star Wars.

I enjoyed the movie because I was hoping Rey was a nobody.  I didn't want her to be a Skywalker, a Kenobi, or a Palpatine.  I thought her being a nobody made the galaxy that much bigger and more importantly didn't rehash the original trilogy.  I wasn't disappointed.

And the showdown that is coming between the leader of the NO and the last Jedi is a perfect setup for the final movie in the trilogy.  There won't be a third person who is redeemed to come in and save things.  We don't know what is going to happen.

Edited by rjrjr

13 minutes ago, I like pie said:

Absolutely not true. Every successful business puts top priority on maximizing profits, including Disney.

And they did that.  This movie is making money.  It's not like Disney didn't know there were going to be a few upset fans.  That is par for the course for Star Wars since the original trilogy ended.

They can't worry about the few vocal fans who would rather Star Wars was stagnant and not moving forward.  They are setting things up so they continue to make money off the franchise.

According to fans, jettisoning the Expanded Universe was bad.  How many fans did Disney lose then?  Disney did it anyway.  They want to succeed and grow the franchise, not be tied down by the aging fans who are holding the franchise hostage to what they think it should be.

Fans got their movie with TFA.  And there were still plenty of complaints.  There is no way for Disney to please everyone!

Edited by rjrjr

35 minutes ago, rjrjr said:

Both Star Wars and TFA had the advantage of being the first in their trilogies.  If the pattern holds, the third movie will make just shy of the second movies revenue.

Not quite true.

Empire actually made the least amount of money of the original trilogy upon release, and got the worst reviews of the three.

It was only generally considered the best of the three in retrospect.

So..."if the pattern holds" Episode IX should do better than The Last Jedi.

3 minutes ago, Gatsby77 said:

Not quite true.

Empire actually made the least amount of money of the original trilogy upon release, and got the worst reviews of the three.

ESB was at $538,375,067 and ROTJ at $475,106,177 based on the numbers on Box Office Mojo.  I was basing my statement on that.  It is possible those numbers are incorrect.

Edited by rjrjr

10 minutes ago, rjrjr said:
13 minutes ago, Gatsby77 said:

Not quite true.

ESB was at $538,375,067 and ROTJ at $475,106,177 based on the numbers on Box Office Mojo.  I was basing my statement on that.  It is possible those numbers are incorrect.

I'm sure he meant domestic only since he's right about that number.

I've never known how trustworthy those overseas numbers are for older films since Box Office Mojo doesn't break them down by country.  Were both Episodes V and VI released to the same countries but VI just made less, or was the release of VI narrower for some unknown reason?  All details are hidden in the amounts there.

10 minutes ago, rjrjr said:

I think the disparity is because Box Office Mojo counts all re-releases (including the 1997 ones).

Here's the contemporary box office numbers courtesy of The Numbers:

Star Wars: $460,998,007
Empire: $290,271,960
Jedi: $309,205,079

Even more impressive is the exponential growth among the respective opening weekends:

Star Wars: $1.5 million
Empire: $4.9 million
Jedi: $23 million

42 minutes ago, rjrjr said:

What about the inevitable conflict between Rey and Kylo?  That seems to be what this trilogy is building to.  It was clear to me this movie was a clearing of the deck and fans who were wondering about things that were not important (Rey's parentage, Snoke's background) were thrown to the wayside to focus on the conflict between Rey and Kylo.  I do feel bad for those fans who sat around wondering about these questions the past 2 years who are upset about this movie not addressing them to their satisfaction.  None of that mattered and they wanted the story to focus on something else and not rehash the original trilogy despite TFA using the same beats as Star Wars.

I enjoyed the movie because I was hoping Rey was a nobody.  I didn't want her to be a Skywalker, a Kenobi, or a Palpatine.  I thought her being a nobody made the galaxy that much bigger and more importantly didn't rehash the original trilogy.  I wasn't disappointed.

And the showdown that is coming between the leader of the NO and the last Jedi is a perfect setup for the final movie in the trilogy.  There won't be a third person who is redeemed to come in and save things.  We don't know what is going to happen.

Why can’t you have both? Answer questions and provide the inevitable conflict/battle of Rey vs Kylo?

7 minutes ago, Gatsby77 said:

I think the disparity is because Box Office Mojo counts all re-releases (including the 1997 ones).

Here's the contemporary box office numbers courtesy of The Numbers:

Star Wars: $460,998,007
Empire: $290,271,960
Jedi: $309,205,079

Those are the same domestic numbers Box Office Mojo has.

3 minutes ago, Artboy99 said:

proves Disney purchased a property that will make money. To quote Mark Hamill: "remember kids, it doesn't matter if your movie is good only that it makes money."

Luckily, with The Last Jedi, we got both! :whee:

5 minutes ago, fantastic_four said:

Those are the same domestic numbers Box Office Mojo has.

Ahh...okay.

But still goes to my statement that Empire (in the States, at least) did the worst of any of the original trilogy.

International is nearly irrelevant because it has seen _such_ huge growth in the last 10 years, let alone the last 35.

Trying to draw conclusions by comparing international box office in 2017 vs. 1983 is like comparing apples and hand grenades.

Edited by Gatsby77

2 minutes ago, Gatsby77 said:

International is nearly irrelevant because it has seen _such_ huge growth in the last 10 years, let alone the last 35.

Yes, but this observation suggests that Episode VI would have made MORE than V overseas, but it made much less.  There's some other reason for it.

45 minutes ago, rjrjr said:

And they did that.  This movie is making money.  It's not like Disney didn't know there were going to be a few upset fans.  That is par for the course for Star Wars since the original trilogy ended.

They can't worry about the few vocal fans who would rather Star Wars was stagnant and not moving forward.  They are setting things up so they continue to make money off the franchise.

According to fans, jettisoning the Expanded Universe was bad.  How many fans did Disney lose then?  Disney did it anyway.  They want to succeed and grow the franchise, not be tied down by the aging fans who are holding the franchise hostage to what they think it should be.

Fans got their movie with TFA.  And there were still plenty of complaints.  There is no way for Disney to please everyone!

This.

If I am a die hard Star Wars fan I take a deep breath. Han Solo and Luke are not gone forever.

There will be a new Han Solo movie in May, and we can bet when they have the new Disney live action tv show on the streaming Disney channel that there is a good chance at new adventures of a younger Luke.

Edited by ComicConnoisseur

1 hour ago, rjrjr said:

Did Yoda make a fart joke in the new movie?

All that was missing in some sequences in the new film was the Benny Hill Theme Song playing in the background. 

8 minutes ago, ComicConnoisseur said:

If I am a die hard Star Wars fan I take a deep breath. Han Solo and Luke are not gone forever.

There will be a new Han Solo movie in May, and we can bet when they have the new Disney live action tv show on the streaming Disney channel that there is a good chance at new adventures of a younger Luke.

With any luck they'll do better than Lucas did with his "young Anakin" stories. lol 

4 minutes ago, comix4fun said:

All that was missing in some sequences in the new film was the Benny Hill Theme Song playing in the background. 

You mean after the big emotional filled ending of her handing Luke the lightsaber, you didn’t enjoy him tossing it over a cliff and walking away? That was writing at its best!