• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

STAR WARS : Episode VIII December 15, 2017
4 4

1,797 posts in this topic

On 10/31/2018 at 9:56 AM, TwoPiece said:

She's a textbook Mary Sue by way of being strong in The Force, despite having no genetic advantage, and no formal training. Now, if for some reason, JJ amends her parentage in Episode IX to say that she does come from a strong bloodline (Obi-Wan, etc) then the audience has just been severely misdirected. Another reason why RJ is a complete insufficiently_thoughtful_person, because when someone watches this poo-show, either they're watching the breakdown of a seemingly interesting character turned into a Mary Sue, or they're being flat-out lied to.

Yeah, no one would ever change the basics of the story in the middle of it.

leia_luke_kiss.jpg

She's a textbook Mary Sue

This is a sexist, derogatory name for a female character.

by way of being strong in The Force, despite having no genetic advantage, and no formal training.

You don't know that. You're making an assumption based upon not having all of the facts presented.

Now, if for some reason, JJ amends her parentage in Episode IX to say that she does come from a strong bloodline (Obi-Wan, etc) then the audience has just been severely misdirected.

Or, they just decided to tell the story over the course of three movies, as they originally PLANNED.

Another reason why RJ is a complete insufficiently_thoughtful_person, because when someone watches this poo-show, either they're watching the breakdown of a seemingly interesting character turned into a Mary Sue, or they're being flat-out lied to.

Or, they just decided to tell the story over the course of three movies, as they originally PLANNED.

13 hours ago, Chuck Gower said:

Yeah, no one would ever change the basics of the story in the middle of it.

leia_luke_kiss.jpg

Considering that all of the original Star Wars stories were written by Lucas about a decade before they were filmed and produced... The same can't be said for these films (and it's 2 completely different sets of writers/directors). You can't claim that it was intentional misdirect. It was chitty writing/directing by Johnson.

Edited by TwoPiece

13 hours ago, Chuck Gower said:

This is a sexist, derogatory name for a female character.

You don't know that. You're making an assumption based upon not having all of the facts presented.

1. Lmfao. No rebuttal. Concession accepted.

2. This is public knowledge based on all facts provided to audiences. No conjecture. Conjecture is, on your part, assuming that this may not be true, despite being otherwise informed.

3/4. More conjecture with no support. Johnson screwed the pooch. That much is blatantly evidenced by the fact that Trevorrow quit and they have to pay JJ a billion dollars to come back to try fixing this mess. Good for them/us, because he's one of the very, very few who have a decent chance of doing so.

@Chuck Gower Do you have any criticisms of Rey's character development at this point and if not are you just waiting for the trilogy to play out before you make up your mind (or are you completely happy with her character arc as it has been developed)? 

7 hours ago, TwoPiece said:

Considering that all of the original Star Wars stories were written by Lucas about a decade before they were filmed and produced... The same can't be said for these films (and it's 2 completely different sets of writers/directors). You can't claim that it was intentional misdirect. It was chitty writing/directing by Johnson.

And here I thought you were the ultimate Star Wars know-it-all.

Luke was supposed to have a sister but it wasn't Leigha and Lucas didn't write the entire trilogy as it is ten years before he filmed it - that's just ridiculous.

1. Lmfao. No rebuttal. Concession accepted.

You have no problem making sexist derogatory remarks against a character that is female. Noted.

2. This is public knowledge based on all facts provided to audiences. No conjecture. Conjecture is, on your part, assuming that this may not be true, despite being otherwise informed.

"by way of being strong in The Force, despite having no genetic advantage, and no formal training."

No. All the facts haven't been provided. The story isn't over, and SPECIFICALLY, the story of why she is as strong as she is hasn't been addressed - but WILL. So saying you don't have all the facts is NOT conjecture - it is fact. You DON'T. Deciding you know the answer without HAVING all the facts is conjecture.

3/4. More conjecture with no support. Johnson screwed the pooch. That much is blatantly evidenced by the fact that Trevorrow quit and they have to pay JJ a billion dollars to come back to try fixing this mess. Good for them/us, because he's one of the very, very few who have a decent chance of doing so.

There's a whole new generation of Star Wars fans who don't see it that way. They were entertained by the movie. It's all about how old you were and what movie you first saw. You LIKE the prequels. Because you saw them when you were growing up. Many original Star Wars fans see them as terrible and having tainted the world of Star Wars that THEY has created in their minds (much like you're doing here). 

Midi-chlorians? Jar Jar Binks? Boba Fett a clone? The gigantic plot holes? Chewbacca's home world? R2D2 being the most over used character in the series? The bad writing? The Bad Acting? The Political nonsense? The bad romance? Sniveling Anakin? Overblown CGI? The cause of the original triology re-edits?

And if the Jedi are so smart, how is it they couldn't figure out the most dangerous Sith in the Universe was in the same building as them all that time?

That was a George Lucas TRILOGY of bad movies, not a single Rian Johnson film.

59 minutes ago, RedRaven said:

@Chuck Gower Do you have any criticisms of Rey's character development at this point and if not are you just waiting for the trilogy to play out before you make up your mind (or are you completely happy with her character arc as it has been developed)? 

No. I have no criticisms of her character or it's development yet, because I don't know the whole story. I LIKE her character.

4 minutes ago, Chuck Gower said:

No. I have no criticisms of her character or it's development yet, because I don't know the whole story. I LIKE her character.

Fair enough. Hopefully JJ gives us something for everybody (a tall order).

20 minutes ago, Chuck Gower said:

There's a whole new generation of Star Wars fans who don't see it that way. They were entertained by the movie. It's all about how old you were and what movie you first saw. You LIKE the prequels. Because you saw them when you were growing up. Many original Star Wars fans see them as terrible and having tainted the world of Star Wars that THEY has created in their minds (much like you're doing here). 

Midi-chlorians? Jar Jar Binks? Boba Fett a clone? The gigantic plot holes? Chewbacca's home world? R2D2 being the most over used character in the series? The bad writing? The Bad Acting? The Political nonsense? The bad romance? Sniveling Anakin? Overblown CGI? The cause of the original triology re-edits?

And if the Jedi are so smart, how is it they couldn't figure out the most dangerous Sith in the Universe was in the same building as them all that time?

That was a George Lucas TRILOGY of bad movies, not a single Rian Johnson film.

You ever wonder how Palpatine, in such a high visibility role as Chancellor, managed to duck away unnoticed all the time for his nefarious meetings in the seedy parts of Coruscant?  Was he just telling the folks around the office "Hey, I'm going out for a smoke, I should be back in like...5 hours or so.  Oh and don't call, my cell is, uh, out of juice.  Hey (points to guy sitting inauspiciously in the corner)!  Yeah you.  If anything pops off, handle it till I get back.  What?  No, I'm not going by Jimmy Johns, get your own damn lunch!  P-man out!"

8 minutes ago, RedRaven said:

He does great work for sure.

My problem with the criticisms of Rey is that it all stems from her being female. Realistically, ALL superhero characters written come from a place of wish fulfillment and are unbeatable winners. Superman was created as a wish-fulfillment character by Jewish Immigrants - and we didn't find out the whys behind Superman's super human strength for many years after his character introduction.

But in this day and age of human-wikipedia nerds who have to know every single aspect of a piece of media that they can recite on the spot it is very, very difficult for them to a) relate to a female and b) NOT know everything about a storyline.

6 hours ago, Chuck Gower said:

Luke was supposed to have a sister but it wasn't Leigha and Lucas didn't write the entire trilogy as it is ten years before he filmed it - that's just ridiculous.

Wouldn’t consider myself a Star Wars expert but that’s kind of my impression as well. 

I’ve seen pre-prediction art that shows Luke’s character as a female (or, since Lucas was drawing on The Hidden Fortress for inspiration, it may be more accurate to say Leia was the principle character and there was no Luke), there was a Han/Obi Wan mash-up character (again, Hidden Fortress), C-3P0 was female, Chewbacca was a hairy lizard, etc.  

it seems to me that Lucas has promoted the notion after the fact that he always had this grand master plan. He may possibly have had kind of a real general outline of where a trilogy might have gone (‘cause in ‘77 sequels weren’t the norm like they are now), but not nearly the specifics of what we have now. 

5 hours ago, RedRaven said:

I wish I could share the conviction that J.J. will do a great job with the next film but I just can’t get there. 

While I’ve never felt the need to pick one franchise over the other, if pressed I’d have to say I’m slightly more of a Trek Original Series fan. 

Not too impressed overall with what J.J. did with that franchise. 

The first Trek reboot film felt like Trek’s greatest hits; Into Darkness was a straight-up mash-up remake of Space Seed and TWOK. None of it seemed terribly original. 

He’s got talent. What’s frustrating for me about TFA is he did a great job of recapturing the tone of the first trilogy, much more so than the prequels. 

But Star Wars didn’t need a reboot, soft or otherwise. Making the TFA plot pretty much a retelling of ANH just seems creatively lazy to me. 

And since Johnson hit several of the main story beats from ESB and ROTJ I’m not sure J.J.’s going to be able to pull it off without being repetitive. 

16 hours ago, Chuck Gower said:

George Lucas wrote scripts for 9 episodes in college... And her name is Leia...

16 hours ago, Chuck Gower said:

You have no problem making sexist derogatory remarks against a character that is female. Noted.

"by way of being strong in The Force, despite having no genetic advantage, and no formal training."

No. All the facts haven't been provided. The story isn't over, and SPECIFICALLY, the story of why she is as strong as she is hasn't been addressed - but WILL. So saying you don't have all the facts is NOT conjecture - it is fact. You DON'T. Deciding you know the answer without HAVING all the facts is conjecture.

And your evidence is..? None, gotcha. The Last Jedi story has been told. It's over, and it sucks.