• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Force Awakens #1 - April 2016

23 posts in this topic

First appearances galore:

1. Ben Solo

2. Rey

3. Finn

4. Poe Dameron

5. Maz Kanata

6. Snoke

7. General Hux

8. Captain Phasma

9. BB-8

Presumably it may hit the one of the highest, if not the highest, print runs of all time; though it's the rare variants that I'm rather interested in. With that being said, the comic adaptions of Phantom Menace, Attack of the Clones and Revenge of the Sith never really did obtain any true value because they were printed in such high numbers.

But I'm wondering could this comic (depending in which form) maintain and hold it's value in the future from now once released? And will you be getting those comics?

All comments are welcomed.

1. Ben Solo

2. Rey

3. Finn

4. Poe Dameron

5. Maz Kanata

6. Snoke

7. General Hux

8. Captain Phasma

9. BB-8

Presumably it may hit the one of the highest, if not the highest, print runs of all time; though it's the rare variants that I'm rather interested in. With that being said, the comic adaptions of Phantom Menace, Attack of the Clones and Revenge of the Sith never really did obtain any true value because they were printed in such high numbers.

But I'm wondering could this comic (depending in which form) maintain and hold it's value in the future from now once released? And will you be getting those comics?

Depending on how much of the movie they cover in an issue, it's entirely possible that those firsts will be spread throughout the first few issues. Either way, any book that's such an obvious spec target probably won't return much, percentage-wise, over time.

1. Ben Solo

2. Rey

3. Finn

4. Poe Dameron

5. Maz Kanata

6. Snoke

7. General Hux

8. Captain Phasma

9. BB-8

The comic book adaptations of AOC and ROTS did not have a high print run. But the first issues were released alongside the TPB.

There is a stigma against movie adaptations. Just mentioned it again the other day on these boards because someone said Star Wars #1, being a movie adaptation, is nothing important. In today's speculation climate, I see this comic selling well initially, but long term, it's anyone's guess.

With that being said, the comic adaptions of Phantom Menace, Attack of the Clones and Revenge of the Sith never really did obtain any true value because they were printed in such high numbers.

While the print runs are high, I'd also attribute the lack of value to the prequels being garbage without any new characters of note.

Also, people caring about the first appearance of movie characters in comics is kind of a new phenomenon.

if the comic had come out before the movie....I might be interested....all those characters had their 1st app in the movie so kind of kills the buzz a bit.

But as a comic collector, what else is there to collect? lol

With that being said, the comic adaptions of Phantom Menace, Attack of the Clones and Revenge of the Sith never really did obtain any true value because they were printed in such high numbers.

While the print runs are high, I'd also attribute the lack of value to the prequels being garbage without any new characters of note.

Also, people caring about the first appearance of movie characters in comics is kind of a new phenomenon.

People still care about Darth Maul. Look at the Son of Dathomir mini.

True - forgot about him. 1st apps of cult-status characters like Maul aren't enough to overcome a huge print run though (hence the expensive low-run mini).

On the other hand, I do think that first appearances of the entire main cast of the rebooted franchise could do the trick. I'm not talking big money on a book with a high 6-figure print run, but like $5-10, sure.

Here are the high/huge print runs:

The Phantom Menace

-----------------------------

May 1999 4 Star Wars: Episode I - The Phantom Menace #1 88,437

May 1999 9 Star Wars: Episode I - The Phantom Menace #2 83,639

May 1999 10 Star Wars: Episode I - The Phantom Menace #3 82,345

May 1999 11 Star Wars: Episode I - The Phantom Menace #4 81,966

Admittedly, fairly large print runs. Unfortunately, none of these are the 1st appearances because:

April 1999 Star Wars: Episode I - The Phantom Menace TPB 22,337

the trade paperback came out before the single issues.

Attack of the Clones

--------------------------

April 2002 43 Star Wars: Episode II - Attack of the Clones #1 40,211

April 2002 45 Star Wars: Episode II - Attack of the Clones #2 38,904

May 2002 46 Star Wars: Episode II - Attack of the Clones #3 35,738

May 2002 47 Star Wars: Episode II - Attack of the Clones #4 35,588

Only the 1st issue was out when the TPB came out (I believe they came out the same day):

April 2002 Star Wars: Episode II - Attack of the Clones TPB 8,766

Revenge of the Sith

--------------------------

March 2005 78 Star Wars: Episode III - Revenge of the Sith #1 28,291

April 2005 77 Star Wars: Episode III - Revenge of the Sith #2 27,657

April 2005 79 Star Wars: Episode III - Revenge of the Sith #3 26,685

April 2005 80 Star Wars: Episode III - Revenge of the Sith #4 26,298

Again, only the 1st issue was out when the TPB came out (I believe they came out the same day):

March 2005 Star Wars: Episode III - Revenge of the Sith TPB 8,791

Were the print runs for TPM high? I think so. But AOTC and ROTS definitely did not have huge print runs. Compared to the print runs of modern Marvel Star Wars issues, AOTC and ROTS pamphlets have print runs lower than some of the incentives covers we've seen the past year. But that would be true of most Dark Horse Star Wars comics printed in the past 10 years or so.

And none of the pamphlets have the 1st appearances. That honor would go to the TPBs.

I forgot to add, the TPBs were printed in much larger numbers than the Diamond estimates suggest. In fact, the TPBs for TPM are still being clearance out in many places. (My local Half Priced bookstore received a ton of these along with a bunch of other Star Wars TPBs this year because of the license going to Marvel.) I believe it being the first appearance of the characters from TPM (Darth Maul, Amidala, Qui-Gon Jinn, etc.) and it's overabundance makes it a low priced book. I believe you can pick up copies in NM condition in eBay for around $5.

6. Snoke

Unless Snoke is someone we already know. lol

Has Darth Plagueis been in a comic?

Yes. :sumo:

Sorta. :insane:

Ten years ago.

In the second Tag & Bink series, the origin of Tag and Bink is from Darth Plagueis continuing experiments with midi-chlorians.

Tag & Bink (Series II, 2 of 2): Revenge of the Clone Menace

Revenge_of_the_Clone_Menace.jpg

This is all there is:

Plagueis.jpg

Yoda's expression on the cover just about sums it up.