• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CGC stance on MVS oversight or policy change

36 posts in this topic

I don't think it's a big deal. The missing stamp is noted on the slab and it's labeled as incomplete. The only mistake is the label is the wrong color. Buyers have some responsibility to read what they're buying.

Some buyers pay attention to label color & grade only. Notes, and quite often even what the book looks like, don't matter to them.

I don't think it's a big deal. The missing stamp is noted on the slab and it's labeled as incomplete. The only mistake is the label is the wrong color. Buyers have some responsibility to read what they're buying.

Some buyers pay attention to label color & grade only. Notes, and quite often even what the book looks like, don't matter to them.

That's on them. There has to be some personal accountability.

Shouldn't it first and foremost be on CGC? That's where the QC problem began and I don't think it should be swept under the rug

Shouldn't it first and foremost be on CGC? That's where the QC problem began and I don't think it should be swept under the rug

It's not a matter of sweeping it under the rug. Like I said in my original post; it's a mistake, but it's a very minor mistake. No information is missing. Everything is disclosed. Just the label color is wrong. A buyer who does the minimum amount of diligence will understand what the book is.

It's not a matter of sweeping it under the rug. Like I said in my original post; it's a mistake, but it's a very minor mistake. No information is missing. Everything is disclosed. Just the label color is wrong. A buyer who does the minimum amount of diligence will understand what the book is.

Whoops! Another mistake http://m.ebay.com/itm/Incredible-Hulk-181-CGC-1-5-1st-Full-Appearance-of-Wolverine-/181983195644?nav=SEARCH

Whoops! Another mistake http://m.ebay.com/itm/Incredible-Hulk-181-CGC-1-5-1st-Full-Appearance-of-Wolverine-/181983195644?nav=SEARCH

Low grade incomplete books like that Hulk 181 CGC 1.5 can be in blue labels. The green label is to allow for a more representative grade on higher grade books with one particular defect.

If I am wrong please correct me but an incomplete book can be given a blue or green label. If it is given a green label the actual grade of the book is given without consideration for the defect and if a blue label is given the book would be "dinged" considerably for the defect.

So based on these standards and the fact that some people buy the slab and not the book one could see a blue label incomplete book with a 5.5 grade and think the book they were buying was gorgeous and then they would get this which based on the images looks like the true grade would be a 5.5.

So my argument would be is that really a minor mistake based on the standards? Is it really any different than how people might react if a book that warranted a blue label 5.5 received a blue label 9.4? I don't think that's minor and I don't think that should be put on any potential buyer who is purchasing a product based off of CGC"s standards for grading. That's why CGC is in business for the most part.

I know some could say a incomplete blue could never get a 5.5 grade but if that is true I don't know if that is common knowledge for most potential buyers.

If I were CGC I would make an effort to get this book back and corrected. Having it in the marketplace only fuels problems and the conspiracy theorists latch onto stuff like this.

So my argument would be is that really a minor mistake based on the standards? Is it really any different than how people might react if a book that warranted a blue label 5.5 received a blue label 9.4? I don't think that's minor and I don't think that should be put on any potential buyer who is purchasing a product based off of CGC"s standards for grading. That's why CGC is in business for the most part.

I know some could say a incomplete blue could never get a 5.5 grade but if that is true I don't know if that is common knowledge for most potential buyers.

That is correct - an incomplete book would never get a 5.5 grade.

Nobody's saying that CGC didn't screw up here - and the onus is on CGC to get this fixed - but if you're a buyer in the market for incomplete books and aren't aware of how CGC actually treats incomplete books, well, perhaps you shouldn't be buying these books.

I disagree. They may trust the CGC label implicitly(and I know some that do). They may not question why CGC grades a book a certain way. They wouldn't know if CGC made a mistake, that's what third party grading has done to grade knowledge.

CGC's description of a green label:

"A Qualified label is used by CGC for certified books that have a significant defect that needs specific description, or to note an unauthenticated signature (one which was not witnessed by CGC). For example, it would be a disservice to the seller and buyer to call a 9.4 book with the cover detached from a staple a 6.0 so CGC will give this book a Qualified grade of 9.4 and a Label Text notation of "COVER DETACHED FROM BOTTOM STAPLE." Or, if the book is signed on the cover it may be noted as "NAME WRITTEN ON COVER IN MARKER."

The problem here is that CGC has been (had been :eek:) grading books with a missing MVS as INCOMPLETE and put it in a GLOD. Are they now changing stance and going to know consider them Universal INCOMPLETE? This makes the registry more useless that it already was. Perhaps they see it as a way to regrade all the green labels to blues.

The problem here is that CGC has been (had been :eek:) grading books with a missing MVS as INCOMPLETE and put it in a GLOD. Are they now changing stance and going to know consider them Universal INCOMPLETE? This makes the registry more useless that it already was. Perhaps they see it as a way to regrade all the green labels to blues.

:doh:

How many times do we need to go over this - CGC hasn't changed their stance, it's a QC error. Not the first of its kind, either - and most likely not the last.

Any official word from CGC yet? hm

There's a new stickied thread that says "If we put something in the wrong coloured label and it gets listed for sale it might be a QC problem"

The second post says "Even if it happens more than once"

The third post says "We really mean it"

The fourth post says " doh! "

edit :(