• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CGC did not slab my repro cover with coverless book

47 posts in this topic

:censored:

So after seeing plenty of GA books with repro cover and pages, in slabs with a NG, I sent in a Tec #38 with a repro cover and it came back coverless in the slab, and the repo cover in a bag that says 'do not encapsulate'

Do you have to have a special designation for CGC to do this? I slabbed for preservation, but wanted the repro cover for presentation.

Like I surmised above, you need to affix it to the interiors for it to be included in the slab. :sumo:

Let's see a pic of the repro cover as well! Does it have the back cover ad? Did you buy it somewhere or have it made yourself? Just curious.

That's kinda messed up that they would just put it to the side without asking you first.

If you didn't want the cover slabbed too, what the F would you send it with the book for in the first place????? That question never occurred to them I guess

I think they should have let you know first, and tell you their intent.

I can get where they're coming from though, the idea of a low grade, blue slab, with a note on it that it is coverless but with a reproduction laid over the interior makes for a messy "certification"

then you have people getting confused.. "how is this a 1.5?!?!?!?"

then people thinking that the cover is just detached (not repro), people thinking its an attached reproduction cover

I think it does get messy, so they might be trying to tighten what they will and wont encapsulate especially when it can be confusing...

they're already having trouble QAing their labels, what if this didnt get the right label note and went thru QA un-noticed?

again I think they should have talked to you, but then again we also complain about turn around times, and asking them to take their time on these things, and also holding them to quick TATs is a lot...

Repro are automatic NG, I know that already. I just wanted it to look nice on the shelf. Talked to the grader on the phone who remembered the book, and he said the cover has to be stapled. Otherwise they 'don't know why the photocopies are there'

:facepalm:

I said a phone call would have been nice.

Repro are automatic NG, I know that already. I just wanted it to look nice on the shelf. Talked to the grader on the phone who remembered the book, and he said the cover has to be stapled. Otherwise they 'don't know why the photocopies are there'

:facepalm:

I said a phone call would have been nice.

I agree that it would have been nice for them to contact you. That being said, I think that book will still look great slabbed since the splash page is so nice. Don't feel too bad.

I'd rather look at the original coverless interior than a non-original cover.

+1.

When you resell the Cgc NG, the bids may be stronger as the 1st wrap of the Detect # 38 is in above average condition for a coverless so perhaps Cgc did you a favor in the long run. (thumbs u

I'd rather look at the original coverless interior than a non-original cover.

+1.

When you resell the Cgc NG, the bids may be stronger as the 1st wrap of the Detect # 38 is in above average condition for a coverless so perhaps Cgc did you a favor in the long run. (thumbs u

I agree with Miraclemet and thewe 2 comments, as well.

Personally, I think repro covers detract from the overall eye appeal of a book.

Most GA books have killer splashes on the first page and I think you will warm up to seeing the book slabbed, as is.

If you ever decide to sell the book, I think you will garner considerably greater interest with the book slabbed in its' original state, with the repro cover set alongside of the slab.

Another possible downside....if the book were encapsulated with the repro cover folded over as it was when it was sent in, the inner holder may also not have centered the cover as it would have if it were attached to the book.

Regardless of feelings on repro covers, as a book in my collection, a repro cover is how I wish to display it. And spending the money that I did, I feel I did not get the service I expected.

CGC should update their webpage to reflect what is necessary for repro covers and pages to make it to the slap.

I still feel like a phone call would have been nice. The cover was obviously sent in with the book for a reason.

I assume if i had stuck a random staple in the book it would be OK.

Repro are automatic NG, I know that already.

with their QA these days I wouldnt assume anything was "automatic"

(and I hear you, yes a phone call was warranted, and you totally are right to think one should have been made!)