• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

'Superheroes In Gotham' exhibit at NY Historical Society

17 posts in this topic

For more than 70 years, we've been captivated by the adventures of superheroes, from old comic books to new Hollywood blockbusters, and the genre has never been more popular. Now, a new exhibit is unmasking the inventors of Batman, Spiderman and many other classic characters. Mark Albert reports from the "Superheroes in Gotham" exhibit at the New York Historical Society.

Superheroes in Gotham (October 09, 2015-February 21, 2016)

Superheroes in Gotham will tell the story of the birth of comic book superheroes in New York City; the leap of comic book superheroes from the page into radio, television, and film; the role of fandom, including the yearly mega event known as New York Comic Con; and the ways in which comic book superheroes, created in the late 1930s through the 1960s, have inspired and influenced the work of contemporary comic book artists, cartoonists, and painters in New York City.

I went there on sunday with my kids and my older son's friend (kids were free this weekend!)

nice little exhibit and there is other stuff at the NY historical society.

the kids liked it. my four year old enjoyed the "super hero" training session..at least until a bigger kid knocked him down during a running drill, but he's a trooper, got right back up, didn't cry... (probably because his nerve endings are all dead from the abuse his 10 year old brother dishes out)

if i was coming in from out of town this would not be enough to justify it however (the exhibit is pretty small), but if this was just one of several things i was doing in NYC that would be fine. i didn't mind schlepping in from brooklyn for it as my wife had to go to manhattan anyway, plus they had a toy train exhibit the little guy liked to (and a paper airplane clinic elsewhere)

I went there on sunday with my kids and my older son's friend (kids were free this weekend!)

nice little exhibit and there is other stuff at the NY historical society.

the kids liked it. my four year old enjoyed the "super hero" training session..at least until a bigger kid knocked him down during a running drill, but he's a trooper, got right back up, didn't cry... (probably because his nerve endings are all dead from the abuse his 10 year old brother dishes out)

if i was coming in from out of town this would not be enough to justify it however (the exhibit is pretty small), but if this was just one of several things i was doing in NYC that would be fine. i didn't mind schlepping in from brooklyn for it as my wife had to go to manhattan anyway, plus they had a toy train exhibit the little guy liked to (and a paper airplane clinic elsewhere)

I had a feeling it was just a portion of the overall exhibit. But still cool to see such a focus on the comic hobby.

Pictures?

I had a feeling it was just a portion of the overall exhibit. But still cool to see such a focus on the comic hobby.

Pictures?

Buzz posted some in his thread.

:shy:

doh!

I never even saw it. And I guess neither did some other folks, since they were pleased to find out about this.

Oh well.

I took some pics, but its just my kids in front of the batmobile, doing super hero drills and a picture of this 1969 comic art convention luncheon that i thought was neat and pointed out to my 10 year old how there were kids there who looked 12-14 at the luncheon with adults in the industry and they came in blazers, with ties, etc... really dressing up for this event (by pre-teen standards)

I took some pics, but its just my kids in front of the batmobile, doing super hero drills and a picture of this 1969 comic art convention luncheon that i thought was neat and pointed out to my 10 year old how there were kids there who looked 12-14 at the luncheon with adults in the industry and they came in blazers, with ties, etc... really dressing up for this event (by pre-teen standards)

Thanks for sharing.

:foryou: