• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Enter the Black Suit

7 posts in this topic

Latest addition...

So I was cruising around Phoenix Con last May hoping to find something for Art Adams and Jim Steranko to sign since they were both in attendance. I wish I had a decent book in my collection I couldve use but theyre all midgrade and I really wanted to find something nice. Ive never had much luck locating books in high grade at a con...theyre always overpriced or just nonexistent. As expected I struck out on finding a worthy Steranko book...although I did pick up a really nice looking Xmen book at my LCS recently that he did and Im hoping he will be back this year so I can get him to sign it.

Anyway, I stopped by a small booth run by this guy and his son that looked promising so I asked if they had any high grade books I could check out. As luck would have it they had 3 small boxes of books for me to thumb through. To my delight I found not one, but three copies of Marvel Team Up 141...this book was on my radar because I knew Art Adams had worked on the cover. After gaining permission to do so I took each book out and carefully inspected the condition. I thought one was about a 9.2 so I quickly dismissed it, but the other two looked to be in pretty high grade so I picked the one with the most forgivable defects and bought it for like twenty bucks. Now Im wishing I wouldve bought the other one as well.

Needless to say I was stoked when I opened the box from CGC last week to find that my copy of Marvel TeamUp 141 had achieved a grade of 9.8...highest grade on the census and currently only 1 of 51 with signature. Let me tell you, Im not a 9.8 or nothing kind of guy...depending on the book Im more than happy with a lower grade...but dude, 9.8! Haha. This book fits perfectly with my Secret Wars 8 and Amazing 300, both submitted by me and both achieving the coveted 9.8 grade. I dont know how I picked books of that quality, but I did and Im not complaining. Of course now the hunt is on to add a 9.8 worthy copy of Spectacular 90 and Amazing 252 to complete the Venom set. Ah, I love this hobby.

Til next time...

17165.jpg

See more journals by surfer99

Hey Surfer!! Congrats on your new acquisition! I think the book looks pretty solid + I LOVE where Art Adam's signature is placed on the front cover! It sets within the spotlight and appears to have been blown right out of the gun barrel!

Best wishes in acquiring a sharp-looking ASM #252 CGC 9.8 WP to complete your Venom Set!

Hope all is well! :-)

-Professor Pecora