• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Potential Comic Art Fans Scam Alert

199 posts in this topic

No, I just ordered it on Monday. Of course her communication was great before the sale but when I noticed her gallery was down I emailed her about tracking last night and I haven't heard anything. I have already started the ball rolling with my credit card company.

What was interesting was at first I even called her on why is the price so low, you must be taking a huge loss. She said she paid $850 for it back in '08 (not sure what Hildebrandts were going for back then but I would think that would still be kind of low for a 38X25 black and white piece) and needed the money for her pregnancy. She said she would like to have more but she needs it now. Because of the photo/email matching with her other store and the somewhat believable story I went ahead with it. I've had some too good to be true deals before actually work out so I don't feel bad taking the risk.

Edited by eltigre15

What was interesting was at first I even called her on why is the price so low, you must be taking a huge loss.

A too low to be believed price is usually a red flag on a deal, in my experience.

Another red flag is a seller accepting a real low ball offer that no one would ever in their right mind accept.

Sounds like you just got quotes a low price. Kudos on using CC for protection.

I know some guys who perpetually low ball on all their offers and it's like they get drunk on the prospect of someone actually accepting pennies for their artwork and they turn off the logic centers in their brain.

I don't know if you are familiar with Dorian Cleavenger but my best ever deal was getting The Sacrifice original for $300. That is definitely a too good to be true deal so that and a couple of others have skewed my already gambling oriented nature. I found it curious that she wanted to use Square instead of Paypal which I had never heard of at first but when I researched it, it looked legit and took credit cards so the risk was on.

I don't know if you are familiar with Dorian Cleavenger but my best ever deal was getting The Sacrifice original for $300. That is definitely a too good to be true deal so that and a couple of others have skewed my already gambling oriented nature. I found it curious that she wanted to use Square instead of Paypal which I had never heard of at first but when I researched it, it looked legit and took credit cards so the risk was on.

Square is legit, it's what a lot of comic con dealers use because it's got that swipe reader they can attach to their phones so sellers have a little more protection being able to get the card swipe.

It is odd for an online seller to use it though.

I "bought" the Campbell Red Sonja for $1800. Price was good, but not a steal by any means.

A Campbell Cover?

Here was my email to Bill. I will not post his replies for privacy but basically he said its between the buyer and seller.

Bill,

Shouldn't her gallery be removed if she is scamming people?

Ankur

And:

Very comforting to know the site has zero responsibility.

Nobody likes to be told they should be responsible for the actions of other people but I think erasing you from caf without communication was kind of a quick reaction. Maybe you should email bill, miscommunication causes lots of unnecessary grief

Are you a premium member?

I was just banned from comic art fans and my gallery deleted. Why?

I was ripped off for $2k from another member and I emailed the owner, Bill Cox, asking for the persons gallery to be pulled so others also don't get scammed. His response was basically that CAF is not involved and bears no responsibility. I wasn't pleased with that and said "It's comforting to know your site takes no responsibility".

Afterwards he told me he closed the scammers gallery and will be closing mine too.

That is what being a member of a site for 12+ years gets you.

He replied after Bill pretty much said CAF bears no responsibility..... So who do you report CAF scams to? No one has the responsibility to close down scam accounts?

Unless I'm not seeing the whole picture....I don't know what was said word for word. But I do know what its like to be mad at the moment when you feel you were scammed.

I was ripped off for $2k from another member and I emailed the owner, Bill Cox, asking for the persons gallery to be pulled so others also don't get scammed. His response was basically that CAF is not involved and bears no responsibility. I wasn't pleased with that and said "It's comforting to know your site takes no responsibility".

Afterwards he told me he closed the scammers gallery and will be closing mine too.

He relied after Bill pretty much said CAF bears no responsibility..... So who do you report CAF scams to? No body has the responsibility to close down scam accounts?

I don't know if you were replying to my post or not, but I would report such scams to Bill C at CAF. Although he stated that he bears no responsibility it seems that he also shut down the gallery. Bill C apparently does not condone the use of CAF for scamming people, but he also states he has no responsibility in such matters should 2 individuals engage in a private transaction based on a CAF gallery, which has always been the default position of CAF on such things I believe.

I was commenting more about the manner in which Ankur J communicated; I think Bill's response should have been within the realm of considered possibilities.

Edited by Bird

He relied after Bill pretty much said CAF bears no responsibility..... So who do you report CAF scams to? No one has the responsibility to close down scam accounts?

Unless I'm not seeing the whole picture....I don't know what was said word for word. But I do know what its like to be mad at the moment when you feel you were scammed.

We're not seeing the whole picture. Ankur has decided to give us one part of one email in their exchange.

Bill shut down the scammers gallery and did not tell me until after closing my gallery.

I did not and will not post Bills responses to me, but not once was "sorry it happened" and "I'll see if I can help" said. If I run a site and someone was hosed, I would try to help and let the person know I will try to help.